• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Extending Bi-pod Contact Point

Been thinking about this for a while. Do you think a gun with an extended bi-pod attached is more stable than one than has a bi-pod that is not extended but is mounted at it's maximum possible length on the gun itself?. I've seen several guns in competition photos that might have an extension built in or added on that extends the bi-pod forward anywhere from 2-10"'s but the point of contact and pivot is still in the original position. My thinking, though very possibly wrong is that what ever the point of contact is determines the stability and not the extended pivot point and its contact to a shooting surface. Just for an exaggerated example, suppose an Impact has an extension that moves the bi-pod's point of contact with the bench 10' further forward. Since the pivot point is still back at just under the receiver or at best on the end of the bottle via a bottle clamp I don't see how it could be any more stable than the original position and therefore makes me wonder why it is fairly common to see.

Not a big deal either way but I'm just curious. I'll have to admit the extended bi-pod does look pretty cool though.

Jking

Thanks Tom, I can see how it would change the movement from large to small at the muzzle when squeezing a bag or moving the bag around and now I'm understanding how breathing and heartbeat movement is exactly the same thing. I'm just a little slow sometimes..... Thanks much for the clarification and explanation. Now I just need to extend my concrete bench haha.

Jimmy