Extendable tank life up to 15 years beyond current expiry?

I hate testing Carbon Fiber anything, if it lets go the clean up is horrid

One of the customers of a job shop I worked at was developing CF tanks to put on FedEx trucks. To test them, they filled tank with water, laid it down in the truck dock and took it to test pressure. Many split open till they perfected the design. I recall the engineer telling about the mess.

Reactions: Smitty911
I had heard about this "Life Extension" for SCBA tanks, yet was too busy to track anything down and it seemed that some of the leads from Google were not good.
So, I retried and just found this information, but have yet to call and verify the cost and if in fact this is doable.
Just throwing this out to see if anyone else has heard or know of such a program with a special license to perform this testing and certification?

Sure sounds interesting anyway and per the YT vid, is a couple hundred dollars to perform.

mike
I found this the other day hope it's helpful.

I did research into this, actually calling a company out west that does this. Not only is the initial cost prohibitive but once you do the life extension test the company that did that test is the only one that can do the 5 year re certification. According to what the company (and a certified dive shop ) told me a simple hydro won’t do they have to do the extensive life extension test. The company I talked to the test was 300. So basically you will have shipping both ways, plus 300 to get the 15 year extension and it will repeat every five years of that extra 15. Makes zero sense as I don’t know how this is economically viable to even large batches of tanks a huge dept might send in. It seems accurate however. Initially my local dive shop told me this so I called the testing company back to inquire. The person I talked to at the company wasn’t positive about this and said he would check into it. He called back about 45 minutes later and was the one to tell me that not only is it true that the company that did the life extension was the only one able to do the five year re cert, but the 5 year test wasn’t a simple hydro but the whole 300 dollar process over again. It seems accurate. All I know is that if so there are going to be some really pissed off people that bought these life extended tanks from PA. Lol

I did research into this, actually calling a company out west that does this. Not only is the initial cost prohibitive but once you do the life extension test the company that did that test is the only one that can do the 5 year re certification. According to what the company (and a certified dive shop ) told me a simple hydro won’t do they have to do the extensive life extension test. The company I talked to the test was 300. So basically you will have shipping both ways, plus 300 to get the 15 year extension and it will repeat every five years of that extra 15. Makes zero sense as I don’t know how this is economically viable to even large batches of tanks a huge dept might send in. It seems accurate however. Initially my local dive shop told me this so I called the testing company back to inquire. The person I talked to at the company wasn’t positive about this and said he would check into it. He called back about 45 minutes later and was the one to tell me that not only is it true that the company that did the life extension was the only one able to do the five year re cert, but the 5 year test wasn’t a simple hydro but the whole 300 dollar process over again. It seems accurate. All I know is that if so there are going to be some really pissed off people that bought these life extended tanks from PA. Lol
Good to know. Just to clear things up for myself you're saying Hydro test are low cost but the extensive life extension test is the costly test?

Good to know. Just to clear things up for myself you're saying Hydro test are low cost but the extensive life extension test is the costly test?
Yes the life extended test was like 300 bucks. It has to be done every five years after the initial one. I forget the name of the company. I want to say it was in Colorado or Wyoming.

Reactions: BurntDog
Yes the life extended test was like 300 bucks. It has to be done every five years after the initial one. I forget the name of the company. I want to say it was in Colorado or Wyoming.
Here is a story about the life extensions. Yes, it is a company in Colorado.

Hope this doesn’t hijack the thread but has anyone ever had an SCBA fail a hydro or know of one that blew up ?
Same goes for the 480cc ones on the rifles.
Randy
Ive been around hpa tanks for 20 years never seen one blown up that wasnt messed with or petroleum oiled. I even use some 20 year old sci 45 and 92 ci cylinders still. Not recommended, just telling my story. My scba is still in date luckily

Reactions: rcs9250
Wasn't sure if they filled the tanks back than - It's been 30 years. Clutch is slipping. That seems like a much better way and much safer. When we do burst test at work now, we fill with water then add the air so there is very little volume of air to worry about.
I hate testing Carbon Fiber anything, if it lets go the clean up is horrid and you will bleed. One of those pieces always finds it's way into your finger, hand, ar,, etc.

Smitty

Been there done that for a lot of the years I worked in aerospace. I've pulled carbon splinters out of my fingers that were 1/2 inch long and that was after having to slice down an 1/8 of an inch to grab it with tweezers. I started in aerospace in June of 1979.

So here’s the next question to folks filling expired SCBA tanks with their own home compressors- what is the cut off date, then, when we say this tank has lived it’s life? At the 20 year date from manufacture? 30? 40? It’s all cool now using these expired but in great shape Tanks(I for one use expired SCBA tanks and really dig ‘Em)but when is that date when we say enough is enough, and pony up for new replacements?

Augie!
You pose an excellent question. My take might be that if the tank is in premium condition without any marks, scratches or scrapes, I think that 20 years might be a good mark to call it a day and buy a newbie. There is really no sense in taking it too far considering the potential for failure when using something so dangerous as high-pressure air, or nitrogen for that matter.
Yes, new tanks are expensive, but how much value do you put on any of your body parts? Looking at the big picture (Not the Bigragu....) if held for 20 years, that parses out to around $8 per day (everyday, 24/7 for 7300 days) for something that you might pay upwards of $900 initially.
Thanks for the intriguing question.
Hopefully others will chime in.
Mike

Looking at the big picture (Not the Bigragu....)
Hopefully others will chime in.
Mike
I think you’ve been looking at the bigragu for sometime, Mike, lol

7B356DB6-248A-433D-B6FE-8C925AA9DCAE.jpeg