• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Exploring Springer Power Level and Gun Ownership.

It is a very well established fact that a good quality, well tuned Springer can be very accurate and fun to shoot. At reasonable distances of 10 to 60 yards these guns can group extremely well and take down small game without any hesitation. 

A lot of folk (not all, I know) seem to favor the 12fpe platform as their power level of choice. Many guns that are sold in the USA come to us in “FAC” power levels only. It is not an uncommon practice for their owners to tune them down rather quickly upon arrival to shoot sub 12fpe. The argument is that they are much more pleasant to shoot and more accurate as well. 

So, here is my question to you: If you fall into the 12fpe category of Springer Shooter, either by choice or by law, and you found a gun that fits you to a T, do you own more than one? Why? Given the same power level, accuracy, and caliber, why have a few of them? 

I own an HW30 in .177 (7ish fpe), an LGV in .177 (12fpe), and an LGV in .22 (16ish fpe). Now I’m looking into the next gun to be a .177 that may shoot a bit higher than 12, say 14-16fpe. To me, that jives a bit more than buying another gun of the same caliber just to tune it down to the same power level as what I already own. The only notable excepetion for me (as I guess I answer my own question) is to have a lighter, shorter gun for the field. 

Provided you got this far, and all this rambling made any sence to you: What about you? What are your thoughts on this? 

I’ve tried various power combinations and no question that my full size springers shoot best (i.e., most accurate and most enjoyable to shoot) at about 12fpe with JSB 8.4s or JSB 10.3s. I do have two relatively similar guns, a pro sport and an hw97k, that are tuned to shoot at around this power level. I use the pro sport mostly for target shooting and I do some target shooting and all of my springer hunting with the hw97k. The guns are different enough that I don’t mind having them shoot at similar power levels.

I’ve left the pro sport alone for about 3 years but I often tinker with the hw97k. After about a year and a half of shooting a JM kit at about 12fpe, I recently dropped in a Vortek SHO kit that shoots at about 13.5fpe. The gun remains very accurate with the Vortek kit, but that accuracy requires more work on my part. I like the extra bit of power for hunting, but not sure I’ll stay with the Vortek kit over the long run.

R

Everyone has different tastes, but for me, accuracy comes first. So I would look first at two fairly well agreed upon accuracy tips. One is that springers generally prefer midweight pellets. So good quality pellets such as H&N Trophy and 8.4 JSBs would fall into that category. Another is that a sweet spot for waisted pellets is around 875 fps or around15 fpe. This will also put you in the ball park with 10.2s.

For hunting, a BB is more user friendly than a SL or UL and, for me, that cuts the choices some more. And while an 8" barrel will work on a springer (as opposed to a pcp), my experience steers me to a longer barrel as being more pleasant and accurate to shoot. The rest gets too personal in terms of what you want. However, I would take a hard look at an HW-90. This Theoben designed, gas piston system and rugged rifle are a hard combination to beat. A buddy of mine had one in .177 that lived in the bottom of his Jon boat where it was subjected to unbelievable abuse. After 200,000 rounds (pellet can count), the only failure it had experienced was a broken safety. David Slade could probably slick one up to your liking (or any other springer for that matter).

It have a lot to do with gun and tuner. My David Slade tuned Feb 124d shoot jsb 8.4 @ 860/13.8 fpe with a thud and very accurate out to 50 and beyond. My Jim Maccari tuned blue stock liminted edition R9 177 shoot jsb 8.4 @ 900 fps for 15.1 fpe. Again a solid thud very accurate . Teamed with Strelok pro and range finder I shoot both with limited success out to 100 yds for fun. Many starlings and sparrows out to 75 yds.. never had a 12 for Springer. Oops, forgot about the cz 634 . Great little gun . I think jsb 8.4 @ 760. I like the ump.

I think I am basically trying to justify to myself the acquisition of several more guns other than the 3 Springers I have already. My .22 LGV will likely remain FAC power. Right now in stock configuration out of the box it’s behaving great. Will likely throw in a Vortek SHO and trigger. 

Even though the LGVs are heavy, they are the best of both worlds when comparing to an UL. The barrel’s positive lockup is rock solid. 

Looking really hard at the HW97K, TX200 HC, & HW50S Hunter. All in .177. 

I would personally choose the 177 HW97K and install a tune kit. It is a bit on the heavy side FYI but it will probably be the most accurate out of what you just listed as your choices to consider. If you have never owned an HW97K I strongly believe you owe it to yourself to have one of these fine HW97Ks in your springer collection. Twangy and all, it will just about keep up with the untuned smooth out of the box 177 LGV Competition Ultra I have.

CA

I shoot a TX20p @ 11.5fpe by choice. I have no use 15fpe Springer.

It's an odd story how I ended up with only The TX200. I like the HW97/77 better.

I sold a HW77 22mm piston @ 10.5 fpe. It was a very accurrate gun to 40 yards. I would buy it back in a heartbeat.

I find my self looking at springers from time to time. I'm sure a 22mm piston walnut stock HW77 will find its way to my safe.

Christian why are you looking at 177’s over the 22 cal’s? My fac 22 cal HW77 is the more accurate then my fac 22 cal LGV Competition Ultra, which I put down to the trigger in the 77. The Hw shoots those 12 grain H&N Greens harder then my 177 Trail and at 30 metres a five shot group is usually no bigger then my little fingernail. If you are going to empty that bank account a bit more do yourself a favour and have a look also at the HW77. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Gary

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/02/hw97-hw77/

Christian why are you looking at 177’s over the 22 cal’s? My fac 22 cal HW77 is the more accurate then my fac 22 cal LGV Competition Ultra, which I put down to the trigger in the 77. The Hw shoots those 12 grain H&N Greens harder then my 177 Trail and at 30 metres a five shot group is usually no bigger then my little fingernail. If you are going to empty that bank account a bit more do yourself a favour and have a look also at the HW77. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Gary

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/02/hw97-hw77/

Gary. Right now I’m in discovery mode. I’m really enjoying the .22 LGV, it’s starting to come into it’s own. Have not even cleaned it once. It’s starting to be less pellet fuzzy. Even the Polymags are grouping well. 

However, the .177s flat trajectory, speeds, and mild shot cycle really appeals to me. Specially out of a lighter or smaller platform. I will give the 77/97 a hard look in .22, I promise. But I think the next gun may be either a TX200 or an HW50 in .177. 

I will tell you what, if I get the 77, it may just be the Special K in laminate. That one really calls to me. Will see, I’m not planning to drain my bank account doing this, I pick up extra hours at work, so it will take some time. 

Christian

I know you like new but if you can try a factory TX200 ( no MK) which is/was you would then need one, sub "12fpe" and has a SHORT stoke is just such a pleasure to shoot. That is how it was designed and before "needing" more power for the U.S./other markets they were ever so pleasure . The newer models tuned a great also but that short stoke is the ticket. A precious jewel many would pass on these days.

Just a personal thing but after trying a few of the most tuned & tweaked HW's & TX's in the States I prefer the TX. I also admit one of each would be good but only at "12fpe" dont care for them a bit at say 14fpe ( well the trigger is still good but ).

John

I own several Beeman R1's. I own one that is tuned to about 11.5 ft/lbs. It shoots fine, but I feel that if I'm going to carry around a full size gun, I am going to get the power out of it for which it was built. I think the problem that a lot of people run into is that they try to get more power out of a gun than for which it was designed. This includes manufacturers trying to satisfy a power-hungry American market. I would not try to break 12 ft/lbs with an HW50. I would not expect much more than 13-14 with an R9. I do, however have an R1 in .22 that will reach 17 and it is still not harsh. I own a ProSport with a Vortek kit that is considered full power, but it lost a little from factory internals. It shoots about 13.5 ft/lbs, but is much smoother than stock so I don't see it as a loss. I want smoothness and accuracy over power, but I think all are attainable within reason...

@Spysir 

John, thanks for the input. I don’t really “like new” or not. I’m fairly new to this sport and learning my way as I go. I will happily buy a used gun that is in good condition and in good service. But it’s difficult sometimes when dealing without being able to hold an item and just trust the pictures & somebody’s word. 

I would not know what to look for and even really know the difference between the TX200 mk nothing and the other variants. I will be honest though, the one thing I really like about the current models is that fish scale checkring, not sure if the older ones have it. That is what would make it different enough for me to want it. 

I have heard of people “short stroking” their MK3s. Does this result in the same end product? What is actually involved in doing such a mod? 

Thanks

Christian