• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Expired tanks

Carbon fiber tanks are made to leak when they fail, They do not blow up like metal tanks, There is a big safety factor with the carbon fiber tanks..
If someone tells you carbon fiber tanks will blow up there trying to sell you a tank or something,, I had one fail and when the carbon fiber bands slipped I had to put it in my bathtub to see all the tiny air bubbles..If someone has had one blow up I sure would like to hear about it,, Now if Tom told Jack and jim heard that mike told scott that Nick had one to blow up well I'll call that hear say ,,,,

Reactions: SanDiegoOne
Carbon fiber tanks are made to leak when they fail, They do not blow up like metal tanks, There is a big safety factor with the carbon fiber tanks..
If someone tells you carbon fiber tanks will blow up there trying to sell you a tank or something,, I had one fail and when the carbon fiber bands slipped I had to put it in my bathtub to see all the tiny air bubbles..If someone has had one blow up I sure would like to hear about it,, Now if Tom told Jack and jim heard that mike told scott that Nick had one to blow up well I'll call that hear say ,,,,
That's makes sense 🤔

If you search for it you may be able to find the pictures of tanks damaged from overpressure. They were posted here, not by me. The metal tank did pretty much "explode" and was not at a huge overpressure. The carbon fiber wrapped tank had a big chunk of the carbon fiber removed and still "failed" at a huge overpressure. Did not "explode" and fragment all over the place. I wish I knew that level of margin was in all carbon fiber reinforced tanks but I am pretty confident in my Scott tank. Carbon fiber tanks have aluminum on the inside to contain the air and carbon fiber to withstand the pressure (force) from the air. If the liner starts to leak - fails - the carbon fiber should still keep it from fragmenting and/or keep any fragments contained. The carbon fiber will not contain the air.

Aluminum and steel tanks use the metal both to contain the pressurized air and to withstand the force from the pressure. For them to leak there has to be damage or degradation that penetrates the metal and the degradation may expand rapidly resulting in fragmentation and there is nothing in the tank design that would contain it.

I am more confident in my expired Scott tank won't hurt me than I am the aluminum airtubes in all 6 of my airguns won't hurt me. But I don't really worry about them either. My Air Maks Caiman is the only one that says what it was tested to and it is 450 bar. My other 5 came from China but I still do not think they are going to explode.

I don't understand all the concern about the bulk storage tanks we use to fill our guns and seemingly not the guns.

Reactions: SanDiegoOne

You DO realize that there is a metal tank inside all those fibers on SCBA tanks, right? It kinda has to fail before the fibers do.

You DO realize that there is a metal tank inside all those fibers on SCBA tanks, right? It kinda has to fail before the fibers do.
I think Mike knows that - what he is pointing out is the fact that with a carbon fiber tank there are at least two separate systems in play, and that a failure in the aluminum liner does not have to lead to an "explosive decompression" event. What that means (and his failure example shows) is that if the carbon fiber tank corrodes away on the inside, eventually it will leak the compressed air out through the fibers that hold the tank together structurally in a relatively controlled manner (if not potentially still scary), where in a solid metal tank the corrosion must eventually lead to at least some form of an explosive decompression event (if full) as the tank will fail structurally before it hits the point of leakage. That could be anything from the tank simply splitting open and becoming a projectile, to launching shrapnel of itself as it lets go.

So basically, I think what he wants to convey is that a carbon fiber wrapped tank is safer than a solid metal tank from the perspective of a failure that starts on the inside of the tank. Of course, an incident precipitated from an external event, like a external impact by a sharp object or exposure to a corrosive chemical, things are probably more equal (and could maybe even be worse, depending on the event).

I think Mike knows that - what he is pointing out is the fact that with a carbon fiber tank there are at least two separate systems in play, and that a failure in the aluminum liner does not have to lead to an "explosive decompression" event. What that means (and his failure example shows) is that if the carbon fiber tank corrodes away on the inside, eventually it will leak the compressed air out through the fibers that hold the tank together structurally in a relatively controlled manner (if not potentially still scary), where in a solid metal tank the corrosion must eventually lead to at least some form of an explosive decompression event (if full) as the tank will fail structurally before it hits the point of leakage. That could be anything from the tank simply splitting open and becoming a projectile, to launching shrapnel of itself as it lets go.

So basically, I think what he wants to convey is that a carbon fiber wrapped tank is safer than a solid metal tank from the perspective of a failure that starts on the inside of the tank. Of course, an incident precipitated from an external event, like a external impact by a sharp object or exposure to a corrosive chemical, things are probably more equal (and could maybe even be worse, depending on the event).
I'm gald you understood what he was trying to say better than I. Thanks!! (Might have had something to do with no sleep for 36 hours, lol)

Reactions: airgunmike56