expired scba bottles

@centercut, I think where you are mixing you "metaphors" lol and possibly giving the wrong impression is when you say, and I quote, "True, they have a federally mandated 15 year service life, but are DESIGNED for a 30 year service life. The exact same tank in Europe has a legal 30 year service life. "

The US DOT tanks are not the same as the CE European tanks. Second, I think you are confusing "safety factor" with "design life cycle". All the DOT tanks that we are discussing here are not designed for a 30 year life cycle. Now with that said, the 15 year life cycle can be extended by the MAE testing at 5 year increments. Lets just stick to the facts if we can. I hate for someone to read an opinion and consider it fact. We have lots of new folks that come to this forum for help. If we provide the facts and they understand the risks and want to do something otherwise, so be it, that is their right. Lets try not make our "opinions" appear as fact when they really are not? Hope this helps.

@fungun, I appreciate the input. I will say, without cold fact, that the DOT being the Federal Government doesn’t always do or approve things based on technical rationale. All of the CFFC manufactures submitted plans to DOT for life extension with solid technical reasoning over ten years ago, but were turned down. Were there political reasons at the time for not granting extensions? I’d guess a solid YES, but I certainly don’t know for sure. We all know the government isnt always correct, or at the forefront of technology, right? You are correct according to DOT rules and regulations. I’ll agree with you that legally you are correct. Technically I’d argue against the DOT rules but thats for another time and place. So let’s leave it at that. I understand Safety Factor and Design Life as well as how items are tested and maintained, and am no more confused than you are. Lol. 
Thanks for the spirited discussion. Happy Shooting!

"badammo"Great discussion guys. Would having the tank hydro tested in its last year before it expired, be reasonable to use it 5 more years if it passed?
That is a good question. I just called my Hydro test facility, and asked the same question, here is the answer. "Yes, we can perform a hydro static test on a CF tank that is about to go out of the life span mfg date (15 years). We will affix a new hydro date, that will be good for 5 years from the date of test. The problem can/will be when you take the tank to be filled, the fill station has the right to refuse filling the tank after it has passed the 15 years mfg date. He went on to explain that at some fill stations, they don't look for the life span date but only check that it has a current hydro date (within 5 years of it's last hydro)."

So there is your legal answer as well as your potential answer based on what a fill station operator will do based on his on knowledge and due diligence.

Whether you fell safe using it? I can't answer that. Personally I would look at getting the tank MAE tested and keeping it legal and safe, or I would do the math and consider buying a new tank. Money is cheap. Life and limb are irreplaceable. 

Hope this helps.