expiration dates on bottles

SCBA carbon fiber tanks have a manufacture date extending to 15 years of use and needing to be hydro tested every 5 years. Expired tanks beyond 15 years are commonly used by owners having their own means of refilling.... at their own risk of tank failure.
As previously mentioned, fire equipment/extinguisher retail sales/repair are one of the most trusted places for 5 year hydro re-certification testing.
I've also noticed threads mentioning the possibility of extented life of tanks being approved by DOT,, but to my knowledge that hasn't legally been enacted as yet, or if it ever will.

Centennial, CO, USA – DIGITAL WAVE CORPORATION ANNOUNCES THAT THE US DOT ISSUES SCBA COMPOSITE CYLINDER LIFE EXTENSION PAST 15 YEARS

Every year tens of thousands of composite SCBA cylinders get destroyed due to reaching their arbitrary 15 year life. This forces cash strapped fire departments to purchase new SCBA cylinders. Digital Wave Corporation performed testing via a study initiated by the US Navy to determine the validity of the 15 year SCBA life. The results of this testing program showed that SCBA cylinder life can be extended and may even be infinite with tests every 5 years. After a lengthy review of this test study the US DOT issued Digital Wave Corporation Special Permit 15720. SP 15720 allows SCBA life extension past 15 years on US Navy SCBA cylinders.

Below is a link to this SP on the DOT web site:

http://phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/SPA_App/OfferDocuments/SP15720_2012091418.pdf

Reactions: HogKiller
I bought four 140c tanks on auction sale from a fire department I think it was maybe five years ago, the dates stamped are between '04-07.
I replaced two valves to DIN (turns out that "for fun" was just a waste of money) and two still the originals.
I tried ones to fill to 300b, waste of time with cool downs both the YH and the bottles, I am OK with 280-290 bars and much less effort. I keep two bottles fully charged all the time in reserve.

What options are there to fill an expired tank. Are there compressors available that can fill a SCBA tank to 310 Bars?
Why yes....There are....
rVLsU9Z.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: HogKiller
Has anyone purchased one of the life extended tanks? I've never been able to find any in stock.
Do not purchase one of these tanks. I talked with a local dive shop and another company other than digital wave that does this life extension test. After the life extended test is done a regular 5 year hydro test isn’t sufficient anymore. It has to be sent to the same company for the same 200 dollar test every five years. Plus you will have shipping both ways. This is what my local dive shop told me and it was confirmed by the life extending company. That whole process is a waste of time for people like us airgunners that might have a cpl tanks. I think this is why you never see them at PA anymore. They just aren’t cost effective. You might as well buy a new one unless you plan to fill it yourself.