• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
This could be considered an excuse but nevertheless it happens - I think for the better shooters we know when we got the shot off wrong. I know as soon as it happens and can call the shot. Darn why did I do that, LOL!!!
I know for sure when a shot goes off well that it should be within reason of close proximity to where I aim. If it isn't then there is a problem of some kind!
^^The above is wind aside because nobody can perfectly predict wind conditions all the time. It'll surprise even the very best of us. Not our fault but at the same time misses count against us. Its not likely the better shooters will get similar scores if "Murphy" is against them on a particular day.

The worst for me is making mental mistakes which brings on a perfect miss ratio, arrrg!!! One point can be the difference between a win or not. Remembering back I recall of a few times I would have won or finished one step higher up but I screwed up.....

If "making up" excuses in a deceptive manor well there's no excuse for that, aye!
If we made a mistake there's no excuse for that either.
If things happened out of the norm not within our control then at least its a partial excuse somewhat justified.
Gun not quite right that's partially our fault for not making sure it is in optimal condition.

It is what it is and I guess there is a time for everything - one time to win and times when its not our day?! All we can hope for is if everything went as well as can be expected that this made the difference when the roster is posted.

There is such a thing as a wobbly bench because farts happen and I'm pretty sure my pellet deflected off a bug flying by but I've got plenty more where these came from:p

Because, "Look at my groups! I'm such an awesome marksman!! ... just doesnt sound humble. :)

But anyhoo, Here's a recent target page with my Daystate Tsar for everyone's viewing pleasure.

20230130_161818.jpg

Short answer to your question - Yes. Perfection is a nice goal but a terrible standard. However, when it comes to competetive shooting, perfection is used as a standard. An experience shooter can have perfect technique, perfect aim, do everything perfectly, yet still not make the perfect group or still have flyers or still miss etc due to all sorts of unpredictable factors like wind and pellet variations etc etc. We all like the idea of achieving perfection and when we know we have done our part and we don't hit our aim point we get frustrated.

I would simply say it’s “human nature” to find an excuse for something not being “perfect?” Because we know there is no such thing. But it keeps many humans striving forward, an unobtainable carrot… Ever forwards…
I walked on water a few days ago, until that second step nearly drowned me ... My best friend is much better at it than I am.

I think some of you missed my point. It’s that awesome group that gets posted, be it under one MOA for 25 shots at 100 yards, or a 1/2 MOA five shot group at 100Y, or even a 241 score on a 100Y EBR target, yet the shooter STILL feels compelled to justify that he’s really better than that, since it was shot with damaged pellets directly from the tin, on a wobbly bench, sun in his eyes, and swirling 15 to 20 mph winds. You know the ones…. 🤪

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I think some of you missed my point. It’s that awesome group that gets posted, be it under one MOA for 25 shots at 100 yards, or a 1/2 MOA five shot group at 100Y, or even a 241 score on a 100Y EBR target, yet the shooter STILL feels compelled to justify that he’s really better than that, since it was shot with damaged pellets directly from the tin, on a wobbly bench, sun in his eyes, and swirling 15 to 20 mph winds. You know the ones…. 🤪
So something akin to “I just shot this awesome 5 shot, 1/4“ group at 100 yards from a tin of fully damaged pellets, using my crappiest gun. Imagine the size of the group had I used undamaged pellets and my Daisy 880, next time!”

I did not miss your point. You must be talking about a Thomas air rifle because I do not know of any manufactured air rifle rifle that can do what that package can do day in and day out.
No, just talking generally, many posts like that from other brands. That gun is awesome, but it’s also the Indian and not just the bow. There are shooters like Hein Fromman or Nicolay Boldov that have taken their FX rifles to that level of performance.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: nomojo65 and Joef
I’ve been pointing this out for years. One dude even posted a pic of his cell phone with the weather on it when I said your group is fine, why discredit it with adding it was shot in gale force winds. Too many guys shoot knowing the live current wind velocity on their range and its effects to be buffaloed. When excuses are allowed in competition to enhance your score, then maybe I’ll change my outlook. For now, if you’re not content with your groups, don’t post or take pictures of them. You’re misleading the gullible.

If you see an interview with a high level athlete/sportsman they can be happy with there performance but never stop striving for improvement.
They often mention an area that could have been better. They’re always training. It never stops.
Shooting is actually a sport of imperfection. Perfection Is unobtainable but always strived for.
The import thing is as mentioned earlier the difference between an excuse and reason. Competitors don’t give themselves excuses because that’s an admission something was a mistake they couldn’t change next time.
Something better training or preparation can’t fix.
Real competitor search for answers within themselves.
If you are honest with yourself and look at a result and know if you had another chance you could have done it better then you know you made a “mistake”

Simple.... because in their minds, they can do better. In reality, it was the best they could do. I'm guilty of this.
While I'm not guilty of excuses, I will say everytime I pull the trigger, I expect a 10....or I wouldn't have pulled the trigger ... It only after the pellet hits, I see how it went.ALOT of the time it's a WTF happened, it shouldn't have done that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricochet