• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
Why is it that almost all groups or target scores, no matter how good (or bad) seem to have an excuse added in to explain why they aren’t perfect? Just about every post I’ve seen over the past month starts out with “I was shooting in hurricane winds” or “the bench was so wobbly it would barely stand up” prior to or after the presentation of the group or targets.
Listing your shooting conditions is one thing, but phrasing it as some excuse for what you shot is something else.
Even some of the very best shooters do it - here’s this 100Y group 25 shots of 0.53 inch C2C, but it was swirling 15 to 20 mph winds and very cold…. 🤪
Am I being too dramatic or picky?

I agree with L.Leon. I think maybe human nature demands a reason that something didn’t perform at 100% or some goal wasn’t completely achieved. Even if blaming one’s self; such as “I was tired”, or “too much coffee”, there is usually an excuse even if unintentional.

On the other hand that’s not always the case. Last evening I was doing a little pellet testing and the conditions became just about perfect. My two wind flags were as limp as can be and all was calm and right with the world. At my zero range of 42 yards I shot some of my best groups ever.

Now, if only I had brought my sorted pellets, and maybe cleaned my barrel, and worn by lucky socks just imagine how much better my groups might have been😂😂

Kenny

Why is it that almost all groups or target scores, no matter how good (or bad) seem to have an excuse added in to explain why they aren’t perfect? Just about every post I’ve seen over the past month starts out with “I was shooting in hurricane winds” or “the bench was so wobbly it would barely stand up” prior to or after the presentation of the group or targets.
Listing your shooting conditions is one thing, but phrasing it as some excuse for what you shot is something else.
Even some of the very best shooters do it - here’s this 100Y group 25 shots of 0.53 inch C2C, but it was swirling 15 to 20 mph winds and very cold…. 🤪
Am I being too dramatic or picky?
Simple.... because in their minds, they can do better. In reality, it was the best they could do. I'm guilty of this.

Like stated it is a human thing and we all do it some just more. I have read plenty on this from the 100 yard matches, bad relay, wind coming over buildings, I'm at the ends by the berms, and the list goes on.

Those guys that can shoot consistently (key word) not one fluke half inch groups at 100 yards in those winds, I personally wouldn't want to shoot against them.

I just blame the bad air I just filled my tank with.;)

Shooter’s are very competitive and when we see exceptional groups or scores you want to equal or best those performances.

This pride sometimes overwhelms our objective reasoning. A common example if I shoot one 250 20x card out of 3,6 or 9 cards that doesn’t make me a 250 shooter! More in likely I am 240 shooter. (How do I know? Because I’ve kept every competitive card I’ve shot in the last 4yrs.) OBJECTIVE!

Now I can use every excuse there is but on the line every competitor on my relay had the same conditions. Except for lane 6 he had better flags!😤

Last edited:
Reactions: Centercut
I'm not good at excuses...

IMG-6902.jpg