Evol mini owners chime in

I have the itch. I have had it for a long time really. The Evol line of guns has to be the only line of guns I would probably trade everything I have to buy. Not because I’ve tried one, but because I haven’t heard a single complaint about one, and they are super well suited for the type of shooting I do. I have an awesome collection of airguns, but he Evol has always been out of reach due to price.
My question to the owners is, is it worth me selling my collection to get one? Are they THAT good??
Please talk me out of doing something stupid. lol.

Reactions: Scotay42
Do it 😊 I have been wanting one too, in general I just like American made air rifles but I would have to say the evol is the best
I love that it’s American made, and that the service and parts side wouldn’t be as difficult to deal with.
Don’t own a mini but do have a 30.

Pros:
Solid build
Nice trigger

Cons:
Cocking effort is a bit stiff
By stiff, do you mean just from a heavy hammer spring? Or is it gritty and rough feeling?

Stiff from the spring. It just needs a bit more effort to cock then say my FX rifles.
Yeah, I think between the stiff spring, and the short cocking handle I could understand that. Definitely not a deal breaker though.

I think my only gripe with the mini is the tiny air tube. They’re saying .30 full power shots, which isn’t horrible, just not used to that after having mostly bottle guns.

Yeah, I think between the stiff spring, and the short cocking handle I could understand that. Definitely not a deal breaker though.

I think my only gripe with the mini is the tiny air tube. They’re saying .30 full power shots, which isn’t horrible, just not used to that after having mostly bottle guns.
At least you know you are going to get a good quality made air rifle, they only make so many each year, not like fx and the other top tier airguns making thousands and thousands, quality control seemed to go down hill with them

Have one in .22.

My only complaint is that you have to take the gun apart to adjust the regulator.
Why do I want to adjust the regulator ? Of all of the rifles that I own. the American Air Arms regulator is set MUCH higher than any other gun that I own as shipped from the factory.
The final cocking action might well be lessened with a lighter regulator pressure.

And yes, I have lowered the pellet speed to suit my shooting, which also makes the regulator setting, even higher than it needs to be.

Otherwise, with a short, add-on suppressor (Huma M40, two segment) and a more vertical grip, and a different stock installed, I like the little EVOL (not Evol !) Mini.

1666217089882.jpeg

Mike

I have the itch. I have had it for a long time really. The Evol line of guns has to be the only line of guns I would probably trade everything I have to buy. Not because I’ve tried one, but because I haven’t heard a single complaint about one, and they are super well suited for the type of shooting I do. I have an awesome collection of airguns, but he Evol has always been out of reach due to price.
My question to the owners is, is it worth me selling my collection to get one? Are they THAT good??
Please talk me out of doing something stupid. lol.

I’m smitten badly too. I’m not sure whether to get the mini or the 15”. I love the form factor of the mini but I’m afraid that performance-wise it’ll be too similar to my 250mm .22 L2. I might just do it anyways, but will probably wait until spring.

I’m smitten badly too. I’m not sure whether to get the mini or the 15”. I love the form factor of the mini but I’m afraid that performance-wise it’ll be too similar to my 250mm .22 L2. I might just do it anyways, but will probably wait until spring.
I’m looking at the mini actually to replace my leshiy 2. Lol.
I love my L2, but the trigger always gets me.

Reactions: Houli and L.Leon
I have a Evol 30 and had a mini 22 cal. Love them both. The mini is great for 50-75yd. Triggers are great on both and easy to work on if need be. I ended up converting my mini to a full length 22 cal and love it even more. Both my 30 cal and 22 cal. are early ones and the only updates was the guage ports and guages. Great service with AOA and Evol both.

I have a Evol 30 and had a mini 22 cal. Love them both. The mini is great for 50-75yd. Triggers are great on both and easy to work on if need be. I ended up converting my mini to a full length 22 cal and love it even more. Both my 30 cal and 22 cal. are early ones and the only updates was the guage ports and guages. Great service with AOA and Evol both.

What’s the weight and overall length of the 15” if you don’t mind?

I love my Mini as well as the other lines of EVOLS'. It's a very well-built platform. Like others have stated though if you like to tinker and constantly change reg and HST settings, there are more steps to it. If you do end up getting one and plan to make adjustments to the reg, I suggest picking up the AAA Barrel Removal Tool from AoA. The cost is $98.00 for the tool but even the tool is very well made.

The only other gripe that I haven't mentioned to Tom, AoA, or anyone else is that some of the magazines I received didn't index. I had to open up the magazines and reset the coil springs so they would advance to the next pellet and it hasn't been a problem since then. It's simple to do though once you've figured it out lol. I'd also suggest getting a set of SAE-sized ball bearings because I did lose one of them while in the process of dissembling/assembling the mag.

The EVOL Magazine schematics have the size listed as 3/32" but when I compared it to the other mags, it looks like 1/8". I would make a request to AoA to test the magazines before shipping them out to you. Tom will respond to you if you PM him here or email him through their website. He has sent me some parts upon request and so far, I'm happy with their customer service. AoA will also take care of you if you're not able to get a hold of him.

In regards to the cocking effort, it depends on what power level you have it set up for like some other platforms. The cocking effort is smooth and there is no grittiness. Just a little more effort at the end of the cocking cycle. Like Douger mentioned, you should get about 40 shots at about 28 FPE/840 FPS with JSB 18.13gr on a 270 BAR/3900 PSI fill with reg set at 131 BAR/1900 PSI or 134 BAR/1950 PSI.

I also have the L2 but I'm not sure about replacing it with the EVOL Mini because I personally believe they are different platforms. I can understand though due to cost or having too many PCPs' to justify. The trigger on the EVOL is sweet though. I recall Claudio Flores (Patagonia Airguns) saying that he was able to adjust it down to around 4 ounces like his Thomas rifle in one of his videos. With all that being said, I don't think you would have any regrets about picking one up.

I love my Mini as well as the other lines of EVOLS'. It's a very well-built platform. Like others have stated though if you like to tinker and constantly change reg and HST settings, there are more steps to it. If you do end up getting one and plan to make adjustments to the reg, I suggest picking up the AAA Barrel Removal Tool from AoA. The cost is $98.00 for the tool but even the tool is very well made.

The only other gripe that I haven't mentioned to Tom, AoA, or anyone else is that some of the magazines I received didn't index. I had to open up the magazines and reset the coil springs so they would advance to the next pellet and it hasn't been a problem since then. It's simple to do though once you've figured it out lol. I'd also suggest getting a set of SAE-sized ball bearings because I did lose one of them while in the process of dissembling/assembling the mag.

The EVOL Magazine schematics have the size listed as 3/32" but when I compared it to the other mags, it looks like 1/8". I would make a request to AoA to test the magazines before shipping them out to you. Tom will respond to you if you PM him here or email him through their website. He has sent me some parts upon request and so far, I'm happy with their customer service. AoA will also take care of you if you're not able to get a hold of him.

In regards to the cocking effort, it depends on what power level you have it set up for like some other platforms. The cocking effort is smooth and there is no grittiness. Just a little more effort at the end of the cocking cycle. Like Douger mentioned, you should get about 40 shots at about 28 FPE/840 FPS with JSB 18.13gr on a 270 BAR/3900 PSI fill with reg set at 131 BAR/1900 PSI or 134 BAR/1950 PSI.

I also have the L2 but I'm not sure about replacing it with the EVOL Mini because I personally believe they are different platforms. I can understand though due to cost or having too many PCPs' to justify. The trigger on the EVOL is sweet though. I recall Claudio Flores (Patagonia Airguns) saying that he was able to adjust it down to around 4 ounces like his Thomas rifle in one of his videos. With all that being said, I don't think you would have any regrets about picking one up.
Man I thought finally getting an Edgun would scratch the itch but the EVOL mini looks so cool. I wonder why they don't offer it in .25. I was surprised my Matador was pumping out more fpe than it. I'll just have to save up for a couple years........no way the better half would be good with that and my kids would be giving me crap about not needing to go to college for months. Just not worth it....hahaha