• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Evol .30 My 1st Time Ever Shooting 100 Yards

I just might figure this out. This group showed me my holdover. First shot was low into the wood. Second shot went high. The holdovers I guesstimated by trying to go off of my known 50 yard holdovers. After the fifth shot I started seeing a horizontal pattern then I dialed in my elevation turret based on my hold ever marks and I belive shot number 9 was just about a bullseye I’m excited I’ve never done this before. I’m shooting FX 44 grain pellets with a 5-6 mph tailwind.
542A2DAA-AC06-4615-9257-82CEAE2A4C1B.1642973526.jpeg

The white dot down range is the target. 
89D9CB13-9BA4-41AE-8E24-DDB54A4E920D.1642973767.jpeg

Let’s see how many times I can do this. It isn’t easy, but doesn’t seem difficult. Maybe I just got lucky. This gun can shoot though. I thought that the first time I shot it. 

Looks like 3 out of 7 in the second group hit the target. The other four seem to have hit low into the wood. One of the three just about entered the same hole at the bottom of the Bull. The other two shots that hit the target are about an inch and a half below and to the left of the centerline. I really don’t know what I’m doing. Prior to this attempt, my longest shots with this gun were from around 65 yards.

4F742905-B99A-4056-8118-082AA382B629.1642975191.jpeg

Ok I keep saying I’m not a clicker so I haven’t quite figured out how to dial in with the turrets. However, I made adjustments, made a note of all of them, and found a comfortable holdover. Shot from the fourth magazine grouped about 1 ½”. I can work from here now that I have a better feel of this 100 range and my scope settings.
95C2EA92-274A-42C5-8F3A-8D904E5327BB.1642977699.jpeg

Time to change targets. 

Dave are you using a tail bag? Shooting off of a tripod only is pretty tippy. I’m betting if you can set up a table with a tail bag behind the tripod and anchor the butt your groups will instantly improve. Nice rifle you have there too!

I’m shooting standing behind a tripod. You’re probably right, but I’m not a table shooter. I don’t like sitting down and shooting unless I’m sitting on the ground. I shoot paper targets in preparation for the hunting. Thanks for the compliment. I really like this rifle. 

Those groups are tightening up nicely, great job. Keep shooting in the style that is most comfortable to you. Doing this, you will learn the gun the intimately and always hit what you are aiming at. Those long range shooting sessions make the short range shots almost too easy!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. It’s definitely a shooter. I shot unsorted and unwashed pellets. A few had obviously dented skirts. I loaded them anyhow. The Evol seems to have sent them down range just the same. I think I’ll get more of a feel for long range shooting when I’m forced to deal with crosswinds. Today was pretty clam with a light tailwind. 

I should also disclose that this is NOT an out-of-the-box gun. I bought it used with a tune by @zx10wall. I looked at his numbers and chronographed it shortly after I bought it. My numbers were very close to the shot string numbers he posted. This gun with this tune has worked well for me from day 1. 

The biggest problem you will have, is the wind. You are off to a great start, Sir. Keep up the good work and SHOOT'EM GOOD!

Thanks and I believe you. I feel like I got a cherry first day with no crosswind or headwind. I’ll take it though. Mastering the wind seems like fun. I’ve been working with it short range. I can’t say that I’m great at it, but I look forward to the challenge. 

@Ezana4CE if you should start sorting those pellets the long range group will tighten up even more, with less fliers. I don't wash my pellets, but I do weight sort them to the tenth of a grain. I have found that to be the biggest help in shrinking group size with the .30 caliber pellets.

@airgun-hobbyist There seems to be some truth to what you’re saying. I have been reading up on sorting for about a week or two. I’ve also watched some of @tominco’s videos on it and found some useful information. I think I’ll start with visual sorting to remove pellets with badly damaged skirts. Next I may try washing a tin after sorting them and take it from there. I don’t have a sizer or whatever you call the plastic instrument with holes in it used to gauge the pellet’s head size. That seems like something to do on rainy days and I’m not quite there yet. But what you’re telling me is reinforcing things I’ve read and heard some competition shooters doing in videos. I don’t know about weighing pellets. I’m not sure which type of scale is adequate to use for that purpose. If you could point me in the direction of some source material that you trust for accurate information, it would be much appreciated. 

@ezana4ce I learned a lot of useful information on pellet sorting and sizing from @tominco that is for sure. He is an accomplished competition shooter. 

I use this Frankfort Arsenal scale for sorting. But you can find grain scales at most of the big box sporting goods stores in major cities like Cabela's, Gander Outdoors, and Sportsman's Warehouse.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Digital-Reloading-Display/dp/B002BDOHNA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=22B0IDK57CBX9&keywords=frankford+arsenal+scale&qid=1643070299&sprefix=frankford+arsenal+scale%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-3