• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Evol .30 Loose Shoulder Bolt Question

I noticed that this bolt was not flush a few weeks back and I could hand tighten it back down. After doing so it has worked its way back up several times. The picture below is with the scope removed. It has to come off in order to snug this bolt down with a star bit and driver. I believe this is called a shoulder bolt and is #16 on the exploded diagram of the receiver assembly here https://americanairarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/E-100-0100-31-A1.pdf

02421C8F-593C-4BB7-80C7-F293027F2F90.1643690462.jpeg

My question is, does anyone know if it’s ok to use Loctite on it to prevent it from working its way up again? It appears that the lever may be hinged upon this bolt. I assume that the cocking motion is what’s loosening the bolt repeatedly. Anyone else encounter this issue on their Evol?

It goes on thick no matter how tiny the drop you apply on, so apply it sparingly. Wait 10 minutes before re installing the fastener. 

Vibra tite allows you to remove and reinstall the fastener a couple of times without having to reapply the thread locker. Great product on tiny grub screws like the one that cinches down the pellet probe on the impacts probe holder.

be warned, though, it does leave a flake residue, so certain areas it shouldn’t be used like in hammer spring adjustment nuts, fasteners that seal off HPA, etc.

I finally found the ultimate thread lock compound for the rod in between the cocking block and the pellet probe holder block on the impact. Got tired of that rod getting loose and loosing the transfer port alignment. Apply a thin coat of vibra tite to the rod threads, let dry, then apply a thin coat over that of blue locktite. 

must be heated with a micro torch for about 5 seconds to break it loose if need be

vibratite vc3

Just looked this up. Is it similar to Loctite or does it cure to more of a rubber cement type of finish?

It is more like rubber. I would use blue loctite instead.

That was my impression from what I saw. Thanks. 

@BigRagu @Mr-H @dcbreskin Thanks y’all

I would still recommend the vibratite. Lock tight is to lock a bolt in place. You'd want to use blue which means it can still break loose with little pressure and then it will just loosen. Vibratite is designed to prevent screws from loosening from vibration or shock - this is what you want for this. RIght tool for the right job.

We use a drop of blue loctite on that bolt. Clean off any oil with some alcohol, add a small amount on the threaded section only and snug it up. After about 20 min. you can add a drop of oil on the the bolt where the lever pivots and you should be good. Check occasionally.

Tom

I applied a drop or two of blue loctite and it has not been effective for me. The shoulder bolt loosened up again after one or two shooting sessions. Additionally, I applied a light coat of moly paste along the shaft of the bolt above the threads. I may have to try the vibratite after I clean the bolt threads and receiver threads. I need to know how to clean the receiver threads that the shoulder bolt screws into before trying to apply another thread locker. Any suggestions here?