EVOL .30 '' is this good"

got this new toy 3 days ago and this morning i went to the shooting range to give it a try and shoot it only at 50 yards, was a bit windy... the thing is im not sure if i want to keep it and the reason is... i am most a target shooter and this is no doubt a tac driver, very accurate gun but shot count is low per fill and i think a .25 caliber is better for target shooting and also more shots per fill on most guns in this price range (can be an FX M3)... what you think?, any suggestions or thoughts..

20210814_150528.1628993161.jpg
20210814_110545.1628993196.jpg
20210814_110538.1628993208.jpg

Its a pretty small tank considering . I say target shoot tethered. Youve got one of the best pcp’s money can buy! More of a hunting gun in my opinion though. .25 wont give you a whole lot more shots but def some. I vote keep it and target shoot tethered! Awesome gun, and nice groups!

30 good shots per fill is all i can get at 920 fps 44 grains pellets.. and yea tethered is a good option, thank you

Uragan King. As Vmax stated, this is definitely a hunting rifle. It's best attribute is ruggedness. So the question is are you ok with shooting tethered or filling often.

Filling often is what put me on this position and thetered is a good option but this way dosent feell that freedom to move around with the gun... definitely this gun is made like a tank but light in weight and it is a hunting gun more than target range shooting toy

I also look at the Evol 30 as a hunting gun with excellent accuracy and not as a plinker given the caliber and the FPE it's putting out. I don't think AAA makes a .25cal model. Any PCP rifle (not a bullpup) with an air cylinder is going to give you limited shots compared to a PCP with a 480cc/500cc air tank. For me personally, I don't like the looks and ergonomics of an air tank hanging off the front of the gun. 30 shots is around my limit for a PCP to balance out hunting and target shooting. Maybe you should consider an Evol 22 Standard or HPS or a totally different platform with a bigger air tank.

Old wolf 🐺 not sure why you bought this particular high energy low shot count pcp? It is designed for an outdoorsman who wants to bring home some meat - or take down coyotes and it’s a solid and very accurate pcp - but it was not designed with plinking in mind - for less money an fx m3 in .177/.22 would provide you hours of untethered target fun. A lot of people drop a lot of money on larger caliber pcp’s that are never used for the designed purposes. Many times less is more! Some folks are into seeing how far away they can hammer stuff and that’s fun too but why did you buy THIS gun?

Old wolf
1f43a.svg
not sure why you bought this particular high energy low shot count pcp? It is designed for an outdoorsman who wants to bring home some meat - or take down coyotes and it’s a solid and very accurate pcp - but it was not designed with plinking in mind - for less money an fx m3 in .177/.22 would provide you hours of untethered target fun. A lot of people drop a lot of money on larger caliber pcp’s that are never used for the designed purposes. Many times less is more! Some folks are into seeing how far away they can hammer stuff and that’s fun too but why did you buy THIS gun?

I'm curious about the OP's answer to this too.

I REALLY want to get an EVOL (for its robust build quality, and accuracy). But my primary use is killing paper, from a bench, and seeing how far away I can hit somewhere close to the bullseye.

I still haven't figured out what my first high end purchase will be.

Old wolf 🐺 not sure why you bought this particular high energy low shot count pcp? It is designed for an outdoorsman who wants to bring home some meat - or take down coyotes and it’s a solid and very accurate pcp - but it was not designed with plinking in mind - for less money an fx m3 in .177/.22 would provide you hours of untethered target fun. A lot of people drop a lot of money on larger caliber pcp’s that are never used for the designed purposes. Many times less is more! Some folks are into seeing how far away they can hammer stuff and that’s fun too but why did you buy THIS gun?

scratching my head.. there can be several explanations on why i bought this gun and you are right, this is more a hunters gun than a plinkers toy, i don't hunt much, most of the weekends i take one day and head over to the shooting range and spend hours just target shooting relaxing and forgetting about daily routine so i want a gun with a great accuracy at short and long range and i end up buying this awesome gun (i did my research) and on that I hit the nail, no doubt.. my only issue is the shot count other than that you know this gun is a tank and almost free of problems

explaining on English is bit hard for me, hope i don't type something wrong and if i did my apologies to you.

Old wolf
1f43a.svg
not sure why you bought this particular high energy low shot count pcp? It is designed for an outdoorsman who wants to bring home some meat - or take down coyotes and it’s a solid and very accurate pcp - but it was not designed with plinking in mind - for less money an fx m3 in .177/.22 would provide you hours of untethered target fun. A lot of people drop a lot of money on larger caliber pcp’s that are never used for the designed purposes. Many times less is more! Some folks are into seeing how far away they can hammer stuff and that’s fun too but why did you buy THIS gun?

scratching my head.. there can be several explanations on why i bought this gun and you are right, this is more a hunters gun than a plinkers toy, i don't hunt much, most of the weekends i take one day and head over to the shooting range and spend hours just target shooting relaxing and forgetting about daily routine so i want a gun with a great accuracy at short and long range and i end up buying this awesome gun (i did my research) and on that I hit the nail, no doubt.. my only issue is the shot count other than that you know this gun is a tank and almost free of problems

explaining on English is bit hard for me, hope i don't type something wrong and if i did my apologies to you.

Your English is fine. Better, IMHO, than many native speakers here, so don’t worry about it at all.

I always have difficulty explaining why I bought any particular gun. I too do a lot of research, but then something “speaks” to me and I end up with something that isn’t what I started out looking for 👍🏼. However, I usually end up keeping the gun for a while, often forever, because whatever spoke to me during the research phase keeps speaking. Often the more I short them the more I like them. This is a great gun. If you can afford it, then I say keep it, shoot it and it will find it’s place. If you need a dedicated target rifle for shooting from the bench, there are any number of used FX Crowns, Impacts, etc. that will scratch that itch for less money, but (from what I’ve heard/read) the Evol is one to keep just because it’s such a great gun.

Chris

I use the .357 Slayer for target practice at the range. My tune starts at 3800 psi and peaks at 3600 psi. What I do is shoot until my 60 min tank gets down to 3600 psi and then from there, I leave the tank's valve wide open with a 5-foot hose connected (Stikman fill assembly). My tank is in a five-gallon bucket so it stands vertically on the floor and allows for plenty of hose reach. I can shoot nonstop for the full two-hour time slot I paid for (minus cold lines every 15 minutes) without having issues with air.

To me target shooting is like going to the gym, I don’t go for the lightest weights. Unless you always shoot 100-200 yards 30 cal is a bit of waste because it pretty much will punch a single hole at 50 so could get boring. 

how I approach target shooting is to go out of my way to create handicap or challenge. I shoot 5-8 FPE with pellets that has BC of 0.012 or almost as low as it gets. At 30 yards 5mph wind would push it about an inch so with swirling wind in my back yard it’s is tricky! If I have time I would setup prone with a weather vane somewhere run the middle so I can hone my wind skills. At the very rare occasion zero wind in my yard I can stack the cheap crosman pellets with ease but even 1mph wind makes a difference. It certainly isn’t for everyone and straight up nerding out but I like it and it is so hard.