EVOL .22 Mini

@airdog thanks! Yeah got lucky with it for sure.

@woogie_man yeah while I believe the guns are worth the money it is hard for me to spend over $2000 for an airgun for personal reasons. So looking for a used one was the way to go for me. Would love to try a Red Wolf also but as a hunter there just too pretty and long.

@IMADMAN 32" from tip to tail so to speak. All the way extended 32 5/8" and 29 1/2" all the way in.

@franklink yeah there great little guns. This one too just absolutely stacks pellets. Seems to like the Crosman 14.3 CPHP very well also out to 50yds. Even had some touching at 100yds with them. Yeah I'd love to keep the RTI and tune it for short range shooting. Still trying to figure out how if possible. But yeah it's an EVOL. Hard to not pick that gun.

@blackpaw thanks! Yeah very blessed and lucky for sure.

@peskadot671 thanks brother! Seeing yours I've been drooling for one ever since I got rid of my 15" barreled one. It's a fantastic little rifle that hits well above it's size in terms of performance. Yeah noise level is very nice on mine. I had one of the first STO inserts on my other one which I thought did great. It was a blue color. This one I think is different. It's black but from what I remember it looking like I think it's redesigned. But a fantastic job it does on it. Good to know on the Neil Clague though. Not sure I'd want to go that route as I'm happy as is with noise but if I were to go a bigger moderator I'd go straight for one of those rather than something with a DFL adapter. Great looking rig! I like that grip as well.

Dillon,

Glad to have you back! Yes we did change the barrel to a proprietary TJ some time ago. There were two reasons for this. First, it became obvious that JSB 18gn stopped shooting well in the LW. I'm not sure if was a pellet change by JSB or some manufacturing difference from LW. Second, it was allway my intent was to design a barrel that would shoot the NSA 217 20.2 (same as the howler) and the 18gn jsb equally well for this gun. The new 4 groove is excellent with both and also shoots the JSB 25.4 awesome too, although a little slow.

FYI, if the reg setpoint is raised to 2450 the 20.2s will shoot in the 850 to 860 range with only a small loss in shot count. I'm still refining this setup.

Tom 

Reactions: douger
Definitely glad to be back Tom! Good to know about my assumption on the barrel being correct. I'm really impressed on how it shoots. Really likes the 14.3gr CPHP, loves the 15.9gr FX/AA pellets, and the 20.2gr NSAs did very very well at 150yds as well at around 790fps. It's good to know the barrel was made with those in mind. Also appreciate the reg info. It's around 2200psi now. Might bump it up a bit as the wind keeps blowing everyday almost and just shoot the 20.2gr for now. I'm really thinking it's a pellet issue honestly. I've found other guns with CZs and other LWs prefer the 16gr variants over the 18gr. I no longer own the 18gr pellets. 

@bertman77mk2 oh funny! No when I originally ordered it the Mini's weren't a thing yet, well at least not public knowledge could very well have been in prototype stages at that point. Great retirement gift though! Yeah I was expecting the LW but was quite happy to see the TJ. I'm a big fan of them and some of my best shooting guns wore TJ barrels. My 2 tightest 50yd groups were with TJ barreled guns being my WARP Cobra .30 which shot a 5 shot group literally the same size of the pellet. Also 5 shots at 100yds with 4 under a dime and last shot pulled alittle to open it up to .97" ctc. Other one was my first Mrod with MMHF TJ barrel. .2" at 50yds. Never should have sold that one....and this gun and barrel I bet could do just as good if not better from what I'm seeing.

Definitely glad to be back Tom! Good to know about my assumption on the barrel being correct. I'm really impressed on how it shoots. Really likes the 14.3gr CPHP, loves the 15.9gr FX/AA pellets, and the 20.2gr NSAs did very very well at 150yds as well at around 790fps. It's good to know the barrel was made with those in mind. Also appreciate the reg info. It's around 2200psi now. Might bump it up a bit as the wind keeps blowing everyday almost and just shoot the 20.2gr for now. I'm really thinking it's a pellet issue honestly. I've found other guns with CZs and other LWs prefer the 16gr variants over the 18gr. I no longer own the 18gr pellets.

I forgot to add - barrel is NOT choked.

Tom,

Would it be safe to say that my Evol Mini which I received back in August 2021 from AoA also has a TJ barrel?

Yes I would think so. It would have to been is stock for well over a year when you purchased to be a LW. 

It is very easy to check visually or recover a pellet. LW has very fine rifling that is obvious.
What would the charge be to replace an older Mini 22 Evol barrel with the latest TJ barrel?

Dillon,

I am glad to hear you picked up another EVOL. I felt a little guilty buying yours as you waited so long to receive it. I still shoot it regularly. I love it as a PRS style trainer, to shoot from a tripod, and I even killed some prairie dogs with it last summer. I have had zero issues with the gun and have left the tune where you set it. It is a tack driver and has a great shot count per fill. It is just an awesome airgun! The only thing I have changed is added an adjustable butt pad and a STO Accipiter silencer on it when I need it REALLY quiet.

Thanks again,

Ladd 

Dillon,

I am glad to hear you picked up another EVOL. I felt a little guilty buying yours as you waited so long to receive it. I still shoot it regularly. I love it as a PRS style trainer, to shoot from a tripod, and I even killed some prairie dogs with it last summer. I have had zero issues with the gun and have left the tune where you set it. It is a tack driver and has a great shot count per fill. It is just an awesome airgun! The only thing I have changed is added an adjustable butt pad and a STO Accipiter silencer on it when I need it REALLY quiet.

Thanks again,

Ladd

Ladd, great to hear from you man! Yeah I miss that gun as it shot so well and great efficiency. And just so well built. Needed to get the little brother and happy I did. I bet that LDC on it has gotta be really quiet! I'm glad to hear your still enjoying it!

Dillon - I’m happy for and the Evol Mini. Great Airgun. And it sounds like the STO insert is making a big difference in sound.

Thanks Sean. Yeah the new insert I think makes a huge difference. Noise wise I don't think there was much difference noise wise compared to my 15" barreled one shooting on the same speed at much lower reg pressure compared to the Mini. A welcome surprise for sure

IMG_20220526_203102399.1653623645.jpg

Got some parts for the EVOL. Also beautifully machined. If I remember right the barrel needs to come off to get to the regulator. Main reason for the barrel removal tool. Gauge socket just in case there ever a leak there. Didn't need the shroud removal tool as I never plan on messing with that.

Yes. Remove the barrel, remove the lower picatinny rail, and then unscrew the air cylinder. That barrel wrench works very well.

1f44c-1f3fd.svg

Yeah it's pretty easy to do! I did it on my other one as it came shooting much hotter than I wanted it to. That one though had the short rail on top so I had a tool that worked. With the extended rail yeah no go lol. But I like the extended rail better. I also want to slug the barrel to see what size slugs should work best. .217 is working very very well so far. But doesn't hurt to check.

Dillon, if it's shooting the .217 slugs accurately @ 60yds.....don't need to slug the barrel or test any further! I'm pretty sure the loading of the .217 slug is a bit tighter than a pellet already to get that accuracy...just up the fps till it shoots to your accuracy standards at different distances (phenomenal barrel being that accurate at slower speeds already stabilizing the slugs).

@woogie_man yeah while I believe the guns are worth the money it is hard for me to spend over $2000 for an airgun for personal reasons. So looking for a used one was the way to go for me. Would love to try a Red Wolf also but as a hunter there just too pretty and long.

Agree.. I have taken that rifle to the woods more than a few times and it is a blast. I have been looking at these rifles more and more and wondering now about the HPS version. Having the BAD idea of selling the Wolf and trying to get one of the longer versions to use as a PRS rig. Most of the guys around here are glued to the FX M3 rifles, and I just want something different :D