Everyone needs a pumper.

Amen speaking of dragonflys my dad just pre-ordered two air venturi dragonfly2 rifles. 15 fpe out of a pumper! I'm super excited. I used to work on my crosman 760 to make it more powerful. The technique that actually worked for me was to add superglue to the probe until it made a perfect seal. No idea how much more fps I got because we didn't have chronograph machines back then but we definitely noticed a slightly harder sounding bark and flatter shots. Most people wouldn't notice how small of a difference it made but we shot thousands and thousands of times. My crosman was so accurate. I was disappointed with the accuracy of the 760 I bought for my daughter a couple years ago. I wonder why mine was so much better? I did do the superglue trick and gained almost 20 fps. I know dudes that bored out the valve and polished the transfer port and gained like 80 fps. I didn't ever bother with that but it's there. You have to pump it up more though and without going to a flat top piston it really hurts your lifespan. Anyway I agree with you. Everyone needs a pumper! 

I attended a gun show (powder) a short time ago , and one privet sale table had a Daisy 880 . The seller said it does not work . Ended up giving him $3 for it .

When i got home i Google'd it . IF you follow the directions it works ! but leaks . one new seal and Bingo ! 

My only pumper is a 1377 highly customized but i have been looking for a Benjamin Sheridan 397 or hopefully a silver streak maybe if im lucky .

just love being a 76 year old kid hahaha

I attended a gun show (powder) a short time ago , and one privet sale table had a Daisy 880 . The seller said it does not work . Ended up giving him $3 for it .

When i got home i Google'd it . IF you follow the directions it works ! but leaks . one new seal and Bingo ! 

My only pumper is a 1377 highly customized but i have been looking for a Benjamin Sheridan 397 or hopefully a silver streak maybe if im lucky .

just love being a 76 year old kid hahaha

I love my springers, I shoot them 95% of the time. But you still need a pumper to feel young again. Nothing makes you feel like a kid again like walking thru a pine forrest with a pumper plinking pine cones, or thru a field trying to pick off those big dragonfly's that look like little Huey helicopters.

I agree. Nothing takes you back quite like time spent with an airgun that you have made so many good memories with.

PC010433.1643919710.JPG

Ride on,

J~

My first was a Benjamin 342 when I was a kid. I picked up a couple 392s when my son was about 10. Now I just ordered that new Crosman 362. I want to wait and see how it is before I decide whether or not to order a steel breech for it. I like peeps on my pumpers, both my 392s have peeps. The 362 comes with a peep. But if I put a steel breech on it, I have to use a regular open rear sight or scope. If I am going to use a scope I will use my springers. for a pumper, I love iron sights. @raden1942 you have to pick up a copy of James Houses book American Air Rifles. I think you can get a used copy off amazon for $10. Its about 20 years old and out of print but its a great book. And there are tables in the back with different pellets and their drop(BC) out to 60 yards at different velocities in it. Thats a great book.

@slapshot, thats a great scope!! What kind is it? I remember Beeman used to sell a couple of Japanese scopes that were that short, and I wish I grabbed one. I have not seen anything close except that one they make for the AR15s that attach on the carry rail. Short low power scopes like that are really fast to pick up targets.

It's an Nc Star 2X6-28mm rifle scope that I picked it up as a lark at a nearby swap-meet. It cost me a bundle! $5.00 without the mounts. They were $35.00 new. It's actually really good until you move up to 6-power, then things get distorted. But I love it. I was trained to shoot with both eyes open and it's perfect for that. Quick target aquisition is the rule. It's much easier to shoot precisely with than I thought it would be, too. It isn't rated for a springer.

Here's a link if you want to look around for one.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ncstar-2-6x28-tactical-series-compact-scope?a=1718180

Be safe,

J~

Well believe it or not, starting when I was 11 years old and shooting a Daisy BB gun I was sending for ARH catalogs and drooling over HW55's, HW35s, FWB150's/300's and Wisho 55N's/70's. Those are the air gun dreams that identify my youth. I had a 760 for a short time and then a Sheridan but my heart belonged to those German springers in catalog pages. I bought a couple HW's as a young adult but it wasn't until 2010 that I started collecting in earnest.

So now when I take one of those classic springers out of the safe, I am LIVING the dream! My Sheridan? Meh, good-bye, lol!

I turned my 1377 into a carbine with front and rear peep sights it looks like some freakish contraption Q branch cobbled together from leftovers, but it keeps on hitting shotgun shells at 25 yards with 5 pumps. It does not seem to care what weight pellets I use so I chalk it up to a new barrel and great sights from Williams. I love this thing it used to shoot pellets like BBs. I also have an old Benjamin Franklin / Sheridan that is fun to shoot and squirrel accurate only to ten yards but still a riot to shoot. I also have fond memories of a long missing Crosman 760. Pumpers are the most fun to start with for a kid, soda cans and plastic bottles are great starters and I still like knocking them over all this time later.

Definitely something about a pumper. When I was a kid I had a daisy .22 cal pump with a real wood stock. That gun was actually a really nice gun for a kid to own. I was always jealous of my buddy's .177 spring gun, believing that it was a better gun because the fps was rated higher. Looking back I really should've appreciate the gun I had more. Now days I have a benjamin 392 and a crosman 1377 and it does take me back. I still have the daisy .22 pumper but when I look down the barrel all the rifling is gone.. it has the words "rifled barrel " stamped into the barrel but when I look down the barrel it looks like a smooth bore to me.. ah the good old days