Ever make a shot you were sorry for?

Not sure I'm capable of feeling bad about taking a squirrel. They are a plague in my area. They would destroy my garden and eat the fruit on my trees if I let them. I literally caught one taking a dump on my apple tree this morning. Filthy vermin.

I make an effort to make clean kills because I don't enjoy cruelty but beyond that I'm a squirrel serial killer. 

I did accidentally shoot a hole in the water pipe for my sprinkler system once. I totally regretted that. Oh and the time I gave myself a flat tire from a ricochet - that cost a fortune. I regretted that but car tires are more important to me than squirrels I guess.

I had a tin of fluorescent green line marking paint that was non operational due to a nozzle issue.
Set it up in the back yard and gave it a hit from about 25m.
Went off like a spiraling rocket - spectacular in fact.
Until my wife's King Charles cavalier rushed in to attack the new thing flying around the back yard and keep us all safe.

Yep, One incredibly bright green dog for about 4 weeks!
All she could do was laugh (the wife that is) - thank dog, i mean god.

I did have a picture but can't find it at the moment. Will keep looking though.

Was testing a Laser Genetics illuminator, and saw the retinal reflections of a toads eyes at the base of a tree known to be 38 yards away... applied corresponding holdover... offhand, estimated impact between the eyes, pulled the trigger. Eyes vanished. Found the toad at the bottom of his foot deep burrow recoiling from a neck wound that dislodged his jaw, tongue hanging out the side. He'd never eat again. Occurred to me a lot of pesky insects got a free ride that night.

I've winged my share of critters, but for some reason that diligent toad's plight that night gives me pause to this day.

"jfrazier30"I was target shooting at the ranch last year with my beautiful new FX Boss.

I didn't consider that 250 yards away, my tractor would be in danger as it was INSIDE the barn. 

The .30 Cal JSB tore through the paper target, and continued another 150 yards, through the barn wall and both glass doors of the Kubota's cabin!

800 bucks for that lesson.
That is an awesome lesson. It shows there is no safe distance for backyard shooting a 30 cal. Any pellet that misses the backstop will put anything behind it in danger.