• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ever make a shot you were sorry for?

Ever make a shot you were sorry for?

I once killed a squirrel because it was raiding my wife's bird seed stores.

She saw the thief up in our backyard cottonwood tree, so I got my scoped RWS .22 Diana 460 Magnum and went for it.

It was in a position where the only shot I had was its butt.

I fired and it fell to the ground instantly. I went over to see what I had done, and the pellet had gone through its body lengthwise, entering its butt and exiting from its head!

That was the last time I ever shot at anything that had blood and guts inside its furry exterior!

SpringerHal

i have I was shooting a Pigeon was holding for wind took a head shot shot for the head it was perfectly sideways and the wind didn't push it as hard as I thought it would ended up shooting the eyes out and not killing it it dropped like a rock but when my dog when to go get it I new something was wrong since she just looked at it then back to me and sat down low and behold its did not die form the shock felt real bad so i don't shoot pigeons at longer ranges with my .22 any more only the .25

Yep. My first BB gun. My uncle bought it for me & my mom was pissed! I decided a hot wheel was a good target...nope. Pulled the trigger, direct hit & ricochet right into our sliding glass door! I heard a loud pop, then the crackle of breaking safety glass, and then it fell. The next thing I saw was my dad's head looking out the door. My BB gun went in the trash. 

My buddy asked me to kill a goat for him so that he could butcher it. I had my .25 Marauder zero'ed at 50yards, but tried to shoot it from 5 yards. I forgot that makes it hit low. The first shot hit in the neck in non-vital areas. I had to shoot it several times while it bucked around after the first shot to get a fatal wound. The gun had plenty of umph, but the aim was my downfall. I felt really bad.

Yep.
Once I had the Gamo Whisper X .22 with a Small scope.I saw a small Rock Chat sparrow on a straight pole.(When I wake up at 5AM I usually hear its beautiful singing sound.It has a wonderful sound)
The Gamo wasn't performing good.So I thought that the pellet won't hit the bird.I took the shot and eventually it died.I felt really bad.
After a few hours I went to my roof and saw a whole group of Rock Chat birds on top of my roof.They looked like they were mourning.
I really felt bad.

"SpringerHal"Ever make a shot you were sorry for?

I once killed a squirrel because it was raiding my wife's bird seed stores.

She saw the thief up in our backyard cottonwood tree, so I got my scoped RWS .22 Diana 460 Magnum and went for it.

It was in a position where the only shot I had was its butt.

I fired and it fell to the ground instantly. I went over to see what I had done, and the pellet had gone through its body lengthwise, entering its butt and exiting from its head!

That was the last time I ever shot at anything that had blood and guts inside its furry exterior!

SpringerHal

I don't understand. What was the issue here? Sounds like you took it out with one shot. 

It was the violence of the kill that bothered me!

Here was this small California Ground Squirrel restin' up in our cottonwood tree, enjoyin' the day and probably plannin' the next raid on my wife's birdseed cache, when 25 milliseconds after I pulled the trigger, it instantly became approximately one pound of garbage!

That's what bothered me the most...the mess caused by that one 21gr. Beeman Kodiak .22 cal. pellet, which left my rifle at about 700FPS, generating about 23FPE.

SpringerHal

"SpringerHal"Read it again and try to think a bit deeper.

It was the violence of the kill that bothered me.

Hal
Hal;

There isn't anything particularly violent about that kill. The pellet is traveling at say 700 fps when it hits the squirrel. It takes maybe two milliseconds to traverse the body and exit the skull. The squirrel was literally dead before he knew he had been hit. That was a very humane kill. Your problem is your perception of the act of killing. Now that you understand what it means to kill you have entered a new arena. You have learned something about yourself. You are normal, you don't take pleasure in killing.

Now if you did, that would be a problem.

I eat; therefore, I kill.