• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ever have one of those days

I have so many irons in the fire it's crazy, even with my hunting area as close as it is it's been very hard to break away for a good dedicated deer hunt 😢 

Last weekend was the first day of rifle season in my area and of course I had scheduled our shoot and gathering for the same day ... By the way thanks for all those that came out and Mike thank you for your very generous advice on getting a field target set up.

Anyway Sunday I loaded up and played hooky headed off to one of my locations that's only a few miles from home. 

The deer have two places they like to hang out on this land , up on a hay field (usually in the evening) and down below near the pond and hardwoods since this was about 8 in the morning I decided to park in the hay field and go down. As soon as I pulled in I knew I had screwed the pooch pulled right into the middle of four doe and two bucks.... As I watched with lead in my stomach those white tails flashing and heard the huffing I did a Simpson daooohhhh 

Not to give up I grabbed my kit and headed to my twenty foot stànd and started my climb halfway up I look to my right and see the four doe looking at me they were about 100 yards ... My gun is on the ground tied to the pull up (unloaded) I ease up and start pulling my gun up only to get the rope tangled in some thorn thorn vines growing up around the tree, I must admit that it this point the with words that was coming out of my mouth a show would need to be after 10pm and on an channel like HBO. After getting untangled and unjangled I figured what the hay I'm here it's beginning of rut you never know and settled in, 

One of the two bucks I saw topside pops out 200 yards from me and starts my direction slowly but surely, he has the Doe's scent and will cross right under my stand.... Once at about 100 yards he turned just enough I might have had a shot but it would have been questionable so I didn't take it, I knew if he stayed on trail I would get a perfect 50 yard side on shot so I just kept still and waited.... And a freaking trespasser walks down the path 

I have what I like to think a fairly gentleman manners and and it takes a good bit to really get me riled up but after what we will call a very FIRM discussion about what purple paint and No Trespassing signs mean planted with more than a little expletives I think he got the idea.... (I did get to smile at least a little bit when after he was walking back up the hill side I cleared the slug out of the Texan Carbine into the ground ) I would bet before he hit the property line he was completely out of breath from running 

Oh well I know there will be other days but mannnnn I hope it's better than that one

Nice story. Brought a grin to my face. Thanks for sharing and the smile. As a landowner, dealing with trespassers is always unpleasant. Particularly when they have an attitude. .Often, if they approach honestly and respectfully, I will grant permission. But if a trespasser lies to me about his permission, or gets in my face - they will regret it. Trespassers who are also slob hunters are the worst. Game laws, harvest quotas etc. are important management tools.

Have a few questions:

Have you ever killed a deer with the Texan? Am asking as am trying to decide whether to get the carbine or full length rifle. This will be my first serious, big bore hunter. Up to now my deer rifle has been a Ruger #1 in 45-70.

How loud is the discharge? It would seem that it makes sufficient noise to discourage a trespasser. Is yours shrouded or wear a moderator? Would prefer stealth - but not at the expense of power or accuracy.

What is your preferred load and how many consistent shots do you get per charge?

Your real world advice is appreciated. Sometimes the posts on this Forum seem to be by folks who have only hunted the pages of a gun magazine.

Many thanks.

I have two Texans One is the 45 Long Silenced (factory) and the other is the .308 Carbine not silenced, To be clear about a silenced Texan the hammer system and function of the Texan it is not as quiet as what one would expect coming from smaller caliber air rifles. It does however change the sound profile to a point that it can be shot in a field next to apartment complexes about 100 yards and not disturb them. Another note is the impact of the slug itself, a good shoulder hit can be heard at 100 yards 

As to shot count the Texan .45 is an air hog the .308 in comparison is a nice sipper that offers a good balance of power and shot count

I personally have not killed a deer with a big bore but have kill hogs from small pigs all the way up to around or over 200 pounds with the Texan

I shoot only hunter supply bullets, for three reasons

1. They are tested by them in the Texan and know the performance 
2. They use virgin lead, certified clean... Some casters use recycled lead that you do not really know what it may contain nor the true hardness or weight consistency 
3. Customer Service and knowledge, Regina is on the game she and her husband is always available on the phone or email and more than willing to talk you through any issues 

For my .308 I shoot the 150 grain BTHP or the 135 BTSP For Tree Critters I use the 79 Grain FP 

I actually get a good 10 shots with my Texan, Very large critters like bear or similar I would have to really plan my shot and most likely take a head shot only otherwise deer and other medium skinned animals I am confident of good penetration and impact damage.

For the .45 I hunt with the 295 Hollow Point or 300 grain Flat Point 

I get three shots full powered and another three shots that I can follow down, The First three shots there isn't any critter in the state of Texas that I wouldn't hesitate to shoot with confidence inside of 100 yards

I would advise looking at the Carbine Texan, the shorter barrel makes it much easier to move around with and still offers plenty of power for deer inside of the 100 yard range, just insure that you are shooting a heavy enough slug to pass your minimum state requirements I chose the Texan .308 Carbine unsilenced because like you I was more concerned about power and accuracy than silenced. I pretty much knew as far as deer go I will only get one shot 

1573398023_3681415175dc82608004f62.62194733_IMG_20191110_065209_01.jpg

And so this morning I try my luck once more

And found this , called the game warden he was really cool, I thought the deer was dead but he wasn't just in very bad shape warden let me harvest him just need to turn the head in for testing purposes.