Ever find yourself going back..

One of my most favorite hunting/pesting rigs is my RTI P1 compact I have 3 barrels for it (177,22 and 25) I've pretty much have used this rifle for 2 years now. When I first received my rifle I had to shoot it so I mounted up an old Tasco 2.5-10x42 varmint scope on it. Looked goofy as the scope was almost half the length of the rifle. But it got me shooting. Later I got a vector Veyron scope. I loved how it looked and it was a nice scope for the money.. however for me it is not a good scope for pesting. Starlings are pretty weary and being able to be on target fast before they fly off didn't work out well for me. The focus is pretty sensitive causing me to take up too much time to focus it to make a shot. Great scope for target shooting though.
I tried one more compact scope (actually mounted it up this morning) an old leapers 4-12x44 I bought years ago. It looked good and the focus isn't so sensitive. I head out to sight it in and for some reason as I was shooting I for some unknown reason just wasn't feeling it.. I really can't explain it. So the ole goofy looking tasco went back on.. it's a funny looking rig with that scope on it but it just works..
Anyone else find yourself going back to an old faithful scope that doesn't look right but you just seem to like it best for you type of shooting?

Super short scopes suffer from optical compromises, even expensive ones do. These are usually lighter weight and might be better suited for compact guns.

Those old Tasco's weren't too bad. Back when I used these I wasn't disappointed in them for the money.

Using lower magnifications, as well as setting the parallax focus near the approximate distances you expect to shoot, and making sure the diopter is set correctly for those lower magnifications, will help the visual experience.

Ha, a couple weeks ago I sold a Athlon Helos G2 2-12 to a friend and already regret it, then recently ran across a good deal on a rifle that this scope would have been decent on. So my only current option, without taking a scope off a another rifle, was a old Nikon 3-9x40 that was in retirement as well as some old rings. Pretty clear scope, lightweight, not overly compact, but 100Y fixed parallax. Might be ok on this 17hmr since it shoots so flat and that the rifle is a lightweight sporter. Most targets will be 50Y to 300Y, we'll see what's up next time out.

Super short scopes suffer from optical compromises, even expensive ones do. These are usually lighter weight and might be better suited for compact guns.

Those old Tasco's weren't too bad. Back when I used these I wasn't disappointed in them for the money.

Using lower magnifications, as well as setting the parallax focus near the approximate distances you expect to shoot, and making sure the diopter is set correctly for those lower magnifications, will help the visual experience.

Ha, a couple weeks ago I sold a Athlon Helos G2 2-12 to a friend and already regret it, then recently ran across a good deal on a rifle that this scope would have been decent on. So my only current option, without taking a scope off a another rifle, was a old Nikon 3-9x40 that was in retirement as well as some old rings. Pretty clear scope, lightweight, not overly compact, but 100Y fixed parallax. Might be ok on this 17hmr since it shoots so flat and that the rifle is a lightweight sporter. Most targets will be 50Y to 300Y, we'll see what's up next time out.

Got the 17hmr/Nikon 3-9 sighted in at 50Y but it was rough seeing the holes in the old cardboard box at 9x with it not being perfectly in focus. Eh, should I buy another scope, maybe?? This one would be fine for small game hunting but doesn't satisfy what my modern experiences with current scopes are accustomed to. It's feels like going backwards in time 30 years to me.

I remember when I shot in Vintage Sniper matches using borrowed authentic WW2 sniper rifles equipped with the appropriate vintage scopes. A fixed power 2.5x , a fixed 4x, and a fixed 8x. Yeah I could hit the silhouettes but man what a hindrance compared to modern rifles and scopes. So much so that even though I won two matches I lost interest. A little frustrating to use both the rifles and the scopes.

I guess I'm a modernist at heart.