Evening hunt!

Was able to get out in the woods and do a little slow stalk hunt. My .22 Vulcan 2 - 700 (Spock) got the call. It’s shooting Zan 33gr slugs at 1020 fps. I’ve got it in a K&L chassis now and this ain’t a light stalker package but wanted to see how it performed on these bushy tails 🐿️!

I eased out to a nice spot at about 4:20 PM. First one was spotted on the ground and he spotted me too 👀 He hit the nearest oak and zipped on up there. I squat-walked over to a little sapling that I could get some cover from. Played a little hide and seek until he got brave and ventured out on a limb! I was already focused on ‘em before he could make a break for it. At 40 yards, the Zan reached him in a nano second! Thunk! Smoked him while slightly supported against a little skinny pine 🌲. He went lifeless almost as fast as the Zan got to him! Retrieved him and inspected the neck shot for a second before storing him in the my vest’s game pouch. I shortly moseyed over to a downed tree about 50 yards away and settled down on it. 10 minutes later I spotted another bouncing along the ground. I stealthily 🥷 took a knee and anticipated his approach to a little clearing. He was gathering some acorns and such and wouldn’t quite get to my anticipated kill spot. I decided to ease up and approach for a shot. I took five quiet paces and set up for an off-hander. He finally settled and drew his head up as if to listen for approaching trouble. I quickly focused, released half breath and sent that baby 🔥 Thwack! Another one in the pouch from a 35 yard stander to the neck yet again. I was liking what the Zans was a doing. Soft lead, decent size hollow-points and the 33 grainers are straight slaughtering‼️Darkness was trying to creep in at this point but I hoped to bag one more. I heard some rustling at a distance and figured it was my next prey. I eased toward it and pleasantly saw him at about 70 yards away. I took the next 5 minutes to duck and dive through some brushy terrain as I closed in to about 55 yards. I took a knee as I saw a shot and quickly squeezed off on the V3s beautiful two-stage trigger. The Zan found the lung/heart and it was over in two shakes of a lambs tail. I got over to him and there was a few blood 🩸 bubbles produced as his last breath escaped out of the entrance wound. He went into the pouch with the others.

My first hunt of ‘23 was done and I must say, it twas a big success. Before loading up back in my truck, I snapped a photo of these guys and of good ole Spock, My .22 Vulcan 3. Spock can NRL/PRS, perform at the bench or get it done hunting afield! These 3 bushy tails will make for a good mess of dumplings 😋 Y’all be good and happy hunting 😊
IMG_4645.jpeg

Last edited:
I prefer a nice neck/shoulder shot myself. Especially using higher power and larger calibers, head shots get very messy. Ruins the brains too, if you eat them. Not my thing, but some people drool over them.
I’ve seen my grandfather eat some gray matter but nah, that never wet my whistle.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein