• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Evaluating new Crosman pellets in the .22 QB-78

Having run out of the Crosman Premier hollow points that this rifle liked so much and seeing that the new tin of HP Premiers not doing nearly as well, I found a couple of tins of other pellets at a local shop yesterday.

My buddy's QB-78 Standard in .177 really likes the Destroyers (and wadcutters in general), so a tin of those was in order. I'd hoped that they'd do well for fly killing. They also had the Premier Pointed pellets in stock, so a tin of those went into the cart, too. (I don't do mail order because I want the local shops to stay open.) The first group of Destroyers went into a quarter-inch, so there was some hope. Their next two groups opened up to almost a half-inch, so my hopes for them were dashed upon the rocks of reality... I really like a clean hole on the target next to the fly-remains.

P5230495.JPG

There was some time this morning to do a little testing, so I set the target out at ten yards, sat down at the bench and tried both. The Destroyers were a bit of a disappointment. They shoot into a half-inch at ten yards, so they aren't exactly fly-killing accurate. They also string horizontally. Strange... They're labeled "Recreational" so people shouldn't get their hopes up.

P5230493.JPG

The Premier Pointed were a little surprising. Three groups show that they meet the sub-quarter-inch standard at ten yards, so they'll be the new fly-killing pellet. I reckon that the points will certainly ensure that they completely penetrate even the toughest of flys.

P5230494.JPG

I haven't done a long-time delayed shot group with either of these pellets yet, but hope springs eternal. The horizontal stringing thing with the Destroyers is really puzzling.

This rifle is mostly used to kill flys anyway, so it's all good!

Stay safe,

J~

Reactions: Farmplinker2