• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Euro HFT Here in the US?

First of all, AAFTA Field Target is NOT, repeat NOT a simulation of hunting. It is a shooting discipline that has some of the same features as hunting. Second, Hunter Field Target in the UK is very different than the Hunter Division of AAFTA Field Target with different rules. The Hunter Division of AAFTA was created for several reasons including the ability of an airgun hunter to be able to use his hunter equipment to compete in Field Target without being "outgunned" by the equipment being used in the Open Division and enabling older shooters who were unable to sit on the ground the ability to continu8e to shoot FT. The AAFTA Hunter Division was never designed to mimic the UK version.

Someone in the US could certainly run a UK rules Hunter match if they chose to do so however it would require more work. A UK Hunter course would need to be designed differently than a AAFTA course whereas all AAFTA divisions can shoot the same course.. Additionally FT shooters are a small group and adding UK Hunter here would dilute the FT shooting population further. Almost all club level matches already don't have enough shooters to have enough shooters in each class/division to give awards for each. Adding UK Hunter would make that condition worse. AAFTA rules have evolved to a point where they provide an opportunity for almost anyone to shoot. Adding UK Hunter , at his time, is one of those "nice" ideas that would just add lots more work and would not provide more shooting opportunity or grow the sport.

Respectfully,
Rick Bassett
I appreciate your background information about the evolution of AAFTA and the Hunter Class and fully understand where you are coming from. But I, like many others, got into shooting to have fun and not necessarily to compete against anyone else but myself. I don’t need to always shoot AAFTA compliant matches and don’t need an award for doing well. (Although I’ll admit that it is a pleasant surprise once in a while!) ;) And variety is something that, to me, adds fun to my shooting experience. As one who is responsible for course design and layout at my home club, I recognize all the work associated with laying out a course or courses for alternate shooting formats. But still, I think it would be worthwhile to try out a UK HFT format or what you have referred to as a “nice” idea to see if it generates any interest. It can’t hurt and it might even attract new and possibly younger shooters to our ranks.

Reactions: drsquall
We're shakin tree's and rattlin chains Jim. I'd be happy to attend a HFT match. I enjoyed the demo put on at the 2013 Nat's. We could host a HFT match at Mass Rifle without changing much. I think if we could get the New England clubs to host one HFT match a year, that can add another category for the league. Let's talk it out at the next few matches add gauge interest.

Reactions: MilDot