Other Estate sale finds

Hey guys

Well I just got back from an individuals house looking at some guns. The owner of the rifles was around 65 years old that had a heart condition that recently passed away. His brother was given the rifles to sell and get some money out of them. My buddy was looking at some of the black powder rifles while I was there to look at the airguns. For airguns there was a Hatsan BT65 .35 cal, Gammo Whipser Fusion Elite, Gammo Swarm, FWB 601, Beeman R1 .177, Hatsan pistol. All in all I don't think I did to bad with everything and the brother was happy to be able to send some cash back to the family.

I tested all the guns and everything functions with the exception of the FWB601. It seems there is a seal out on the rifle that I would like to get fixed, but not sure where to start looking.

When I swing the arm on the 601 to bring the piston back everything seems fine, but when I close the handle I am getting air escaping from the transfer port. I am looking right now on a break down picture to get everything apart and do a good lubrication job as well as a reseal. I can tell the previous owner shot the hell out of the rifle and really loved it. So a reseal wouldn't be a bad thing.

Then also wondering what some of you guys would have offered to pay for these rifles?

Last edited:
Reactions: maxtrouble
601 draws air on the opening stroke, will hear suction at end of stroke, normal. Compresses air on closing stroke. Light effort, maybe 16-17 lbs pull. Light poof on discharge with no pellet loaded, again normal.

NIKKONOS on eBay is excellent resource for seals / parts, also has website: targets.ca

Manual:

Diagram:

Videos for 601 rebuild.

Edited to fix broken links to documents.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: woogie_man
As a value reference a frequent seller of FWB and other 10m rifles currently has a 601 listed elsewhere for $700 delivered. His offerings usually sell at his asking price.

Regardless the above if you and the seller are both happy with the deal you made that’s all that really matters.
If you're thinking of who I think you’re thinking of, then he no longer does. Ask me how I know ;) . These are fantastic rifles. Woogie_man hope you enjoy yours. Planning to enjoy mine!

Reactions: fishing43
Ok guys I have the seals in my workshop and I will start the process of tearing everything down tomorrow. With that I took the rifle out of the stock and had a look at the trigger unit. There seems to be some surface rust or build up on the components. I am planning on stopping by the store tomorrow and getting some grease as well as some cleaner to give the internals a good cleaning. I am looking at the exploded diagram from FWB and it doesn't look to hard, I just don't want to mess something up.

I do have a media tumbler and wouldn't mind tossing the parts inside to get them clean. Though I do have an ultra sonic cleaner as well that I can give the items a good soaking. Just not sure what to use to clean everything up that wont damage any of the finish.

So what do you guys think would be a proper solution to put the parts in to clean them?

Well I got the rifle back up and shooting!! I removed EVERYTHING from the rifle and did a through degreasing and cleaning on the entire rifle. This 601 was a damn mess! Lots of degreasing and lots of q-tips, but was able to get everything cleaned and back together. After assembly was able to test and everything is holding air and shooting like it is suppose to.

I did have one question though. The piston seal on these, do they have a metal insert inside? My piston seal lookes like a simple green ring on the end of the piston with a large metal screw looking part. I am guessing that the metal is there to add strength to the seal. I didn't install the new piston seal because I didn't want to ruin the seal on the rifle and not be able to get another one. Though even with the old piston seal things are compressing and shooting again....so... yeah.

Well I got the rifle back up and shooting!! I removed EVERYTHING from the rifle and did a through degreasing and cleaning on the entire rifle. This 601 was a damn mess! Lots of degreasing and lots of q-tips, but was able to get everything cleaned and back together. After assembly was able to test and everything is holding air and shooting like it is suppose to.

I did have one question though. The piston seal on these, do they have a metal insert inside? My piston seal lookes like a simple green ring on the end of the piston with a large metal screw looking part. I am guessing that the metal is there to add strength to the seal. I didn't install the new piston seal because I didn't want to ruin the seal on the rifle and not be able to get another one. Though even with the old piston seal things are compressing and shooting again....so... yeah.
Can you post picture of seal as found. Sounds like may be kludge fix instead of proper seal. Reference second video for proper seal replacement.

In this thread you will find your answers

Scroll down for pictures and explanations of the FWB pump head differences.

Apparently, the piston in your rifle is the one version that can not be re sealed. You would need a new piston head.
If it is working, then leave well enough alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: woogie_man