Essential Checklists - What to bring with you at Competition, Hunting, Etc.

Whoa!🧐 There is so much I don't know! Thank you so much for the input @Ezana4CE The hunting license was essential all by itself!! Let me start integrating all of your feedback. Thanks again!!
@SkeeterHawk No problem. The license is essential because when hunting animals that require tags, the tags are attached to your license in Texas. Some states require you to have a copy of written permission (on your person) to legally hunt on another property owner’s private property. This permission should include contact info for the property owner. Depending upon the state or property I have that as well. It’s also good to keep a copy of your Hunter’s Safety Certificate with your license as well.

Edit: also a blaze orange cap/hat and safety vest is required to hunt on public lands in Texas. It’s a requirement to hunt in other states. On private property I’ll keep one with me to put on once it’s time to recover the animal’s carcass. I really don’t like wearing them but will when I feel it’s necessary on private property.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkeeterHawk
I go to the same range every 2 weeks. I'm starting to shoot further and further. I'm basically shooting just steel from 300 yards out.

20230213_121128.jpg

For some reason I always forget to bring white spray paint to cover up the marks on the steels. Makes it hard to keep track of where your hits are on them when you are checking zero.

Allen

Reactions: Bernie7
Skeeter I've been shooting .22 lately. But it is starting to shoot near perfect. I've been shooting the 40 gr. And when things start to shoot perfect I start wanting a change. I may change to a .25 caliber barrel if I don't go with a completely new gun. Hopefully it will alow me to go further and keep pretty much the same setup. Thanks for the list!

20230213_131205.jpg

20230213_130726.jpg

Allen

Last edited:
Skeeter,
Your edited list is very thorough. I’m betting a lot of readers will benefit from them and customize for their own situation.
I used to teach scuba, was on the Sheriffs Dive Team, went on scuba vacations and dove for fun locally. Each activity had a clipboard hanging in the basement where I kept all my dive gear. I would grab the appropriate clipboard that had a bunch of copies on it. In front of each item I had a square box. When planning an outing I put a diagonal in the box (/) for items I would take, and then turned the diagonal into an x (X) when I put it in the bag or pile or wherever so I would not forget it. I also took the checklist with me in case I learned about an item that I should add to the list. I then write that item on the list with a black sharpie. And then make sure I add that item/s to the remaining checklists on the clipboard/s.
I made similar lists for caving, skydiving, tree climbing, backpacking, shooting, etc etc.
Thanks for posting.
My CO on the dive team used to stress the 7P’s. Piss Poor Planning Preceeds Piss Poor Performance.
Randy

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
And when things start to shoot perfect I start wanting a change.
That's a nice range! I like how they have the levelers on each bench.

I know how you feel. That is why I keep pushing out and put up this gong as far out as I can. I've got some really small gongs on order for this spot, but as you said, I will soon get tired of that too and will have to leave my "cushy home range".

Your edited list is very thorough. I’m betting a lot of readers will benefit from them and customize for their own situation.
Thanks so much @rcs9250 I was hoping for just that, to give people a starting point. Which is why the lists are a little long. They can always decide to leave something off, but to not think of something that you may need before you go really sucks. I am hoping to help avoid that...for someone.

Every one of those lists are missing the most important item(s) of all - Beer/Whisky
Alcohol and guns don’t mix. Don’t know how things work where you are but carrying a gun (or shooting) after drinking is a good way to get cited, arrested, and revocation of hunting /fishing privileges in Texas.

Last edited:
Anything in the buckets that isn't on the list yet? People can always elect to not take something (Like beer on a hunting trip), but the list should be complete IMHO so that something won't be forgotten.
Toilet paper
Soap
Towels
Anything else hygienic related.
Weather appropriate clothing+ extra set in case of getting wet, dirty, etc.
Small clip on umbrellas.
Trail markers
..... so much stuff.
My stuff is mostly labeled like: cold vs warm weather 🤣
... then it's divided by activity; fishing, camping, hiking, etc.
...then inside they have a few.combos.of things depending in location.* my camping gear has mmaannyyÿ ways for fire starting.

Every one of those lists are missing the most important item(s) of all - Beer/Whisky
Alcohol and guns don’t mix. Don’t know how things work where you are but carrying a gun (or shooting) after drinking is a good way to get cited, arrested, and revocation of hunting /fishing privileges in Texas.

I was just having this conversation with a friend… My personal opinion… on principle I’d say any type of psychotropic that could blunt awareness shouldn’t be mixed with shooting sports. Even someone whose hands are shaky from drinking three Red Bulls would make me uneasy. But if I go to my buddy’s farm and we’re gonna plink I know he probably smoked 🌲 some point before I got there but he’s someone I trust with his discretion. He’d tell me if he felt like his ability to safely shoot was impaired and we’d do something else. However, I know TONS of people I’d never let near a sub 12 fpe even if they were perfectly sober.

Back to whether it should be included in the list… I think any explicit mention of alcohol can be removed simply due to the fact that people who want to bring it aren’t going to forget it. Or if you want to please everyone you can use “refreshments”. I think it’s a pretty good catch all for everything from water bottles to juice, to beer, etc.

If the point of these lists is going to be stuff that’s advised for everyone participating then I think alcohol might not even qualify, but if it’s a wide ranging list that intentionally overshoots and is more like here’s anything you could think of, then refreshments qualifies.

Idk, just my .02

Hunting- GPS at best, or a compass and know how to use them. Baby wipes are way better than TP. Tube of superglue, for emergencies.
Don’t know if anyone else will agree, but a pellet gun will only do so much. I like to carry a sidearm, preferably in 40 S&W. This would be only if I’m out wandering out in the woods, not a prairie dog shooting, 10’ from your car kind of thing