Essential Checklists - What to bring with you at Competition, Hunting, Etc.

Hello Shooters!

I live and breathe lists (I'm an engineer), and have one for just about everything that I do. I was surprised that there wasn't a thread for lists on here yet, so this is the perfect time to make one.

Field Target Competition List:
  • Airgun(s)
  • Spare Airgun (If needed)
  • Air (Tank or compressor)
  • Pellets
  • Targets (Pop up, Paper, etc.)
  • Tape/Pins/Bungee Cords. Etc to attach targets
  • Spray Paint to touch up Targets
  • Range Finder
  • Dope Charts
  • Shooting/Gun Diary
  • FX Chronograph
  • Chair
  • Shooting Stick
  • Bipod
  • Shooting Bag
  • First Aid Kit
  • Allen Wrenches
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Vice Grip
  • Lights
  • Wind Gauge
  • Cleaning Rod/Dowell
  • Sockets/Bits
  • FAT Wrench
  • Extra O-Rings
  • Zip-Ties
  • Plenty of Water
  • Snacks
  • Eye Protection
  • Insect Spray
  • Hat
  • Sun Screen
  • Shooting Jacket
  • Shooting Gloves
  • Knee Pads

BenchRest Competition List:
  • Airgun(s)
  • Spare Airgun (If Needed)
  • Pellets
  • BenchRest Targets
  • BenchRest Target Frame (If needed)
  • Tape/Clamps to attach targets
  • Dope Charts
  • Shooting/Gun Diary
  • Wind Flags
  • Shooting Bench (If Required)
  • Shooting Stool
  • Spotting Scope with Tripod
  • FX Chronograph
  • Bipod
  • Shooting Bag
  • First Aid Kit
  • Earbuds
  • Allen Wrenches
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Vice Grip
  • Lights
  • Wind Gauge
  • Cleaning Rod/Dowell
  • Sockets/Bits
  • FAT Wrench
  • Extra O-Rings
  • Zip-Ties
  • Plenty of Water
  • Snacks
  • Insect Spray
  • Hat
  • Sun Screen
  • Shooting Jacket
  • Shooting Gloves
  • Articulating Umbrella (With Stand/clamp/etc.)

Shooting at a Friend's/The Range Checklist:
  • Airgun(s)
  • Pellets
  • Targets (Paper etc.)
  • Tape/Pins/Clamps to mount targets
  • Spray Paint to touch up targets (If needed)
  • Dope Charts
  • Shooting/Gun Diary
  • Shooting Table or Bench
  • Shooting Stool
  • Spotting Scope with Tripod or Binoculars
  • Wind Flags
  • FX Chronograph
  • Bipod
  • Shooting Bag
  • First Aid Kit
  • Allen Wrenches
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Vice Grip
  • Lights
  • Wind Gauge
  • Cleaning Rod/Dowell
  • Sockets/Bits
  • FAT Wrench
  • Plenty of Water
  • Beer/Drinks/Snacks
  • Eye Protection
  • Insect Spray
  • Hat
  • Sun Screen
  • Shooting Jacket
  • Shooting Gloves
  • Knee Pads

Hunting Checklist:
  • Emergency Contact Info
  • Airgun(s)
  • Spare Airgun (If needed)
  • Air (SCBA Tank or compressor)
  • Hunting Pellets
  • Hunting License
  • Hunters Safety Certificate (If Required)
  • Written Permission for hunting on someone else's land (See This Post from @Ezana4CE for more info)
  • GPS and/or Compass
  • Cell Phone and Charger
  • Targets to check zero
  • Tape/Pins to attach targets
  • Extra Mags
  • IR Scope
  • Binoculars or Spotting Scope with Tripod
  • Handheld Thermal Scanner
  • Skinning Knife
  • Bone Saw
  • Rope/Harness
  • Nitrile/Latex gloves
  • First Aid Kit
  • Gambrel and Hoist
  • Zip Ties
  • Callers
  • Ice & Ice Chest
  • Large Plastic Bags
  • Salt
  • Dope Charts
  • Shooting/Gun Diary
  • Shooting Stick
  • Range Finder
  • Blind stuff
  • Sling
  • Hunting Knife
  • Shooting Stool
  • Foam pad/shooting mat/blanket
  • FX Chronograph
  • Bipod
  • Shooting Bag
  • Allen Wrenches
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Vice Grip
  • Pic Tools
  • Lights
  • Wind Gauge
  • Cleaning Rod/Dowell
  • Sockets/Bits
  • FAT Wrench
  • Extra O-Rings
  • O-Ring Lube
  • Grease
  • Mini-Torch
  • Plenty of Water
  • Beer/Drinks/Snacks
  • Throat Lozenges
  • Eye Protection
  • Insect Spray
  • Fire Starter
  • Hat
  • Sun Screen
  • Shooting Jacket
  • Shooting Gloves
  • Knee Pads
  • Baby Wipes and/or Toilet paper
  • Superglue (For Emergencies)
  • Soap
  • Towels
  • Toilet Paper
  • Anything else hygienic related.
  • Weather appropriate clothing+ extra set in case of getting wet, dirty, etc.
  • Small clip on umbrellas.
  • Trail markers
  • Side Arm - Also for emergencies
  • Small piece of rubber mat (Like a yoga mat) to protect your rump or gun while being serviced

Pesting Checklist:
  • Airgun(s)
  • Hunting Pellets
  • Hunting License (If needed)
  • Hunters Safety Certificate (If Required)
  • Written Permission for pesting on someone else's land (See This Post from @Ezana4CE for more info)
  • Shooting Stick
  • Range Finder
  • FX Chronograph
  • Bipod
  • First Aid Kit
  • Plenty of Water
  • DIY Wind Flags to put up around Pesting area
  • Rubber Gloves
  • Plastic Bags
  • Allen Wrenches
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Vice Grip
  • Lights
  • Wind Gauge
  • Cleaning Rod/Dowell
  • Sockets/Bits
  • FAT Wrench
  • Plenty of Water
  • Eye Protection
  • Snacks
  • Insect Spray
  • Hat
  • Sun Screen
  • Shooting Jacket
  • Shooting Gloves
  • Knee Pads

So, I am planning on updating this list at the top post, so that anyone finding this post will get the most recent results by looking at the first post. I don't hunt at this point, and my pesting experience is limited, so I would really appreciate everyone's help in completing these lists. Thanks so much for your input!!

Cheers!

Jonathan

Last edited:
I'd like to add "something to eat" even if that something is as simple as protein/meal replacement bar. Some matches run long and a snack is nice to have.
I put "snacks" on Hunting and Shooting with a friend. Should it just be on the rest of them?

Edit - I just put "plenty of water" and "snacks" on the rest of them. You can always choose not to bring something on the list.

@SkeeterHawk Maybe a wooden dowel in case of a jam. Considering how light weight it is and it can slip into my bag I can’t imagine going anywhere without it. Also maybe a multi tool & a few Allen wrenches for your pic rail accessories. And for hunting I’d imagine you’d want a sling
Thats a good point. I do bring a cleaning rod, FAT Wrench, an assortment of sockets and bits, and some adjustables in my bag with me for matches just in case they're needed.

Thats a good point. I do bring a cleaning rod, FAT Wrench, an assortment of sockets and bits, and some adjustables in my bag with me for matches just in case they're needed.
Yes! The FAT wrench. I guess depending on caliber some cleaning pellets to end the day. Also I noticed you had ear protection but not eye protection

Jonathan,

you like LISTS?!? — I'm with you!! 😄

Here's a few items from my own lists and ready-to-go bags:

▪ Paper targets (either ready-made, or paper and markers) — and something to attach the targets (pins, tape) — to rezero the guns
[needed for any outing]

▪ Wind flags (professional type for the range, or DIY to spread throughout the pesting area)

▪ Lights to light up the paper target: LED flashlights, maybe mounted with ductape on a tripod or some other contraption
[used for friend's place/ range]
[Reason: I frequently find myself shooting beyond dark, because there is always one more slug to be tested. 😄]

Cheers,

Matthias

Reactions: Bernie7
you like LISTS?!?
Heck Yea!! (y) This is like Christmas!! 🎁

I'm with you!! 😄
So glad for that! Those were great contributions!!! I think that I got them all in, in an "intuitive" manner. Let me know what you think!

Thanks again to everyone! These lists are evolving WAAAYY better than I would have come up with on my own, and hopefully these will save some of our shooting buddies some time driving cause they forgot something.

Reactions: JungleShooter
Heck Yea!! (y) This is like Christmas!! 🎁

So glad for that! Those were great contributions!!! I think that I got them all in, in an "intuitive" manner. Let me know what you think!

Thanks again to everyone! These lists are evolving WAAAYY better than I would have come up with on my own, and hopefully these will save some of our shooting buddies some time driving cause they forgot something.
just a suggestion. I try to physically shorten my check list by combining critical items. or spreading critical item in two or more areas

For example, for competition, I know minimally, I need my gun/scope, dope sheet, pellets, tools. I tape my dope to my scope so that I will never forget my dope sheet. In addition, I take a picture of my current dope on my phone.

Tools, goes in the gun case with the gun/scope. I don't use those tools at home. They stay in the gun case. That way I know that the tools will be available in the field. Pellet...I usually put in a fresh tin in my gun case just in case.

Next priority items are my bum bag, hat, shooting jacket, shooting glove, knee pads. Shooting jacket and shooting glove are stored together. The rest I keep an eye on to make sure I bring them.

If going to a large competition (usually a two days affair), back up scope, extra parts (main spring, o-ring, piston assembly, trigger assembly etc.)

Then of course all the other items already mentioned in the above posts. (water, food, bug spray etc)
--
Edit
Oregon Grand Prix
Forgot my bug spray. Got bit by mosquitoes (not during the match...early morning, early evening)
New item. If the weather is super hot. bring ice packs. Zip lock and put in you gun case to cool down your gun and scope.

Last edited:
Great suggestions, @JP806TX ! I incorporated the Shooting Jacket, Gloves, and Knee Pads into most of the lists.

I try to physically shorten my check list by combining critical items
I've been thinking about that and how to organize these lists a little better...but haven't come up with anything logical yet. So, the gun will always have the scope, air, and pellets go with it. The tools are pretty much the same on each list, so those could be a "sub list". There are similarities to hunting and pesting, but benchrest is a different animal completely. Now, someone could just cut and paste whatever discipline they were shooting, so they won't miss anything. If someone has a suggestion on how to make this more logical, I'd love the feedback.

You will find that the more you do anything the less and less you will need to bring. Much like camping. It is funny to see friends come out for the first time with a ton of crap they dont need. Only for it to weight them down and cause problems later on in the trip. The next couple times they come out they slim things down to the needs and nothing more.

For hunting....

Rifle
Air Tank - stays in truck
Mags
Ammo
Tripod, bipod, or sticks
Range finder
Water

That is really about it. When you start adding more you are adding more things that will cause you trouble or pain.

For competitions basically the same, with the exception of adding a small tool kit.

Again adding to much and you look like the Pink Panther stumbling around with a ton of extra stuff.

Reactions: rcs9250
Great suggestions, @JP806TX ! I incorporated the Shooting Jacket, Gloves, and Knee Pads into most of the lists.

I've been thinking about that and how to organize these lists a little better...but haven't come up with anything logical yet. So, the gun will always have the scope, air, and pellets go with it. The tools are pretty much the same on each list, so those could be a "sub list". There are similarities to hunting and pesting, but benchrest is a different animal completely. Now, someone could just cut and paste whatever discipline they were shooting, so they won't miss anything. If someone has a suggestion on how to make this more logical, I'd love the feedback.
Just find a small box or container that you can just grab and go. A 50 cal ammo can typically works great. And once the items are put into the ammo can DONT REMOVE THEM FOR ANYTHING ELSE!! That last part has bitten me in the past ;)

Hello Shooters!

I live and breathe lists (I'm an engineer), and have one for just about everything that I do. I was surprised that there wasn't a thread for lists on here yet, so this is the perfect time to make one.

Field Target Competition List:
  • Airgun(s)
  • Pellets
  • Targets (Pop up, Paper, etc.)
  • Tape/Pins/Bungee Cords. Etc to attach targets
  • Range Finder
  • Dope Charts
  • FX Chronograph
  • Chair
  • Shooting Stick
  • Bipod
  • Shooting Bag
  • Allen Wrenches
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Vice Grip
  • Lights
  • Wind Gauge
  • Cleaning Rod/Dowell
  • Sockets/Bits
  • FAT Wrench
  • Plenty of Water
  • Snacks
  • Eye Protection
  • Insect Spray
  • Hat
  • Sun Screen
  • Shooting Jacket
  • Shooting Gloves
  • Knee Pads

BenchRest Competition List:
  • Airgun(s)
  • Pellets
  • BenchRest Targets
  • BenchRest Target Frame (If needed)
  • Tape/Clamps to attach targets
  • Dope Charts
  • Wind Flags
  • Shooting Bench (If Required)
  • Shooting Stool
  • FX Chronograph
  • Bipod
  • Shooting Bag
  • Earbuds
  • Allen Wrenches
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Vice Grip
  • Lights
  • Wind Gauge
  • Cleaning Rod/Dowell
  • Sockets/Bits
  • FAT Wrench
  • Plenty of Water
  • Snacks
  • Insect Spray
  • Hat
  • Sun Screen
  • Shooting Jacket
  • Shooting Gloves

Shooting at a Friend's/The Range Checklist:
  • Airgun(s)
  • Pellets
  • Targets (Paper etc.)
  • Tape/Pins/Clamps to mount targets
  • Dope Charts
  • Shooting Table or Bench
  • Shooting Stool
  • Wind Flags
  • FX Chronograph
  • Bipod
  • Shooting Bag
  • Allen Wrenches
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Vice Grip
  • Lights
  • Wind Gauge
  • Cleaning Rod/Dowell
  • Sockets/Bits
  • FAT Wrench
  • Plenty of Water
  • Beer/Drinks/Snacks
  • Eye Protection
  • Insect Spray
  • Hat
  • Sun Screen
  • Shooting Jacket
  • Shooting Gloves
  • Knee Pads

Hunting Checklist: (I am personally ignorant here)
  • Airgun(s)
  • Hunting Pellets
  • Targets to check zero
  • Tape/Pins to attach targets
  • Dope Charts
  • Shooting Stick
  • Range Finder
  • Blind stuff
  • Sling
  • Hunting Knife
  • Shooting Stool
  • FX Chronograph
  • Bipod
  • Shooting Bag
  • Allen Wrenches
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Vice Grip
  • Lights
  • Wind Gauge
  • Cleaning Rod/Dowell
  • Sockets/Bits
  • FAT Wrench
  • Plenty of Water
  • Beer/Drinks/Snacks
  • Eye Protection
  • Insect Spray
  • Hat
  • Sun Screen
  • Shooting Jacket
  • Shooting Gloves
  • Knee Pads

Pesting Checklist:
  • Airgun(s)
  • Hunting Pellets
  • Shooting Stick
  • Range Finder
  • FX Chronograph
  • Bipod
  • Plenty of Water
  • DIY Wind Flags to put up around Pesting area
  • Rubber Gloves
  • Plastic Bags
  • Allen Wrenches
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Vice Grip
  • Lights
  • Wind Gauge
  • Cleaning Rod/Dowell
  • Sockets/Bits
  • FAT Wrench
  • Plenty of Water
  • Eye Protection
  • Snacks
  • Insect Spray
  • Hat
  • Sun Screen
  • Shooting Jacket
  • Shooting Gloves
  • Knee Pads

So, I am planning on updating this list at the top post, so that anyone finding this post will get the most recent results by looking at the first post. I don't hunt at this point, and my pesting experience is limited, so I would really appreciate everyone's help in completing these lists. Thanks so much for your input!!

Cheers!

Jonathan
Almost forgot the most important thing I implemented 3-4 years ago.

One thing most regular casual shooters don't think about...Unless you are anal like me. I started keeping a shooting diary. I started recording maintenance I do to my air rifle. when did I change my piston seal? main spring? breech seals? what was the speed with which pellet ? etc.

Additionally, I log all the competitive events I attend. Wind, temp, terrain, distance to the target, chrono for my gun, I carefully record each shot I took...especially for missed shots (we learn more when we make a mistake). where was my POA, where was my POI? Did I jerk the trigger? was it my hold? was there a gust of wind? it really helps in the post shoot analysis to isolate what I need to work on for the next shoot. For example if you miss 40% of targets beyond 40 yards, was it a ranging error? dope error? hold error? or a combination?

This shooting diary I think is essential if you are a serious competitive shooter and it's the one tool that I wished I had implemented sooner. I'm usually the only one recording in my log/diary during a match...and boy do I get some strange looks. Yeah you...Yes you..I'm recording how you looked at me. I got you in my diary.

Last edited:
For hunting my lists greatly depend upon what I’m hunting, where I’m hunting, and how long I intend to hunt. For example -

for squirrel hunting on my usual hunting grounds at minimum I will take: a loaded airgun w/scope, an extra loaded magazine, skininning knife, dispsable latex or nitrile gloves, hunting license, a watch, and a plastic bag. Sometimes binoculars (with or without a chest pack), blaze orange vest & cap (during deer season), and handheld shears.

For hunting coyotes I will take:
A charged PCP w/IR scope, two loaded mags, bag of slugs (or pellets), paper targets, ink pen or marker, hunting license/emergency contact info/ID, filled SCBA tank, a backpack with a gun scabbard, a rangefinder, binoculars, a chest pack, handheld thermal scanner, callers (electronic and diaphragm), a bottle of water, throat lozenges, a tripod or tall bipod, foam pad, shooting mat or blanket, a fixed blade knife 5” or more, pocket knife, cell phone and charger, headlamp, night vision scope or NV clip-on, maybe extra camouflage.

Deer hunting:
Charged big bore PCP w/scope, paper targets, and slugs (depending upon the gun I’ll also pack air bolts, and broadheads, and a quiver), hunting license, ink pen/marker, zip-tie, cell phone, binoculars, rope and harness, skinning knife, nitrile/latex gloves, bone saw, handheld shears, rangefinder, a couple bottles of water, gambrel and hoist, ice and ice chest, large plastic bags, salt, blaze orange vest & cap.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SkeeterHawk
Unless you are anal like me.
Same affliction here, my friend.

I started keeping a shooting diary.
I will have to do this too. I have been noting the barometric pressure, temp, humidity and all that over the last few months, and TBH, I'm not coming up with anything earth-shattering. I keep a maintenance log on my computer for each gun, but that wouldn't help in the field. Regardless, I put a "Shooting/Gun Diary" on all of the checklists. Thanks again for the input!