• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Equipment to fill up my Great White Tank?

About 15 months ago I bought a great white tank which I tried to have filled locally at a dive shop. They told me on the phone they could get me close to 4,500 psi.
But when I got the bottle filled it read 3,600psi and by the time I got it home and it had cooled off, it was at 3,300 psi. My AEA airgun fills to 3,3300 psi, so that's next to useless for me! My backup plan was to buy a Alpha filter from Joe, along with the tank, but they didn't have any in stock at the time. So now my $$$ airgun setup has been sitting collecting dust for over a year.

I have a YH compressor but would need a good filter before I use it to fill up my tank. Alpha filters are $400 from Joe. Money is not a problem, but that seems like a LOT of money for a filter. A lot has changed since I bought my YH 5-6 years ago. Am I better off putting that $400 towards a better compressor with a built in filter, like the Tuxing? When I bought my YH it was just to fill up my marauder to 3,000psi, not to fill a big tank to 4,500psi!

I have a serious case of analysis paralysis and need some good advice guys!

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I have an Alpha filter for my Shoebox compressor.
It Makes Very Clean Dry Air !
I believe it's definitely worth $400.

20211110_193147.jpg

Last edited:
" seems like a LOT of money for a filter." Im not sure a Tuxing would be the best choice from what i have read , and i would still put a second filter on it . maybe check out a shoebox type compressor addition to add to your YH ?
My Tuxing works fine, The first filter catches 98%, the second the balance. the molecular sieve has been bone dry but, just paranoia that I added it. There is zero air gap in the media when it's laying down.

Tuxing.jpg

About 15 months ago I bought a great white tank which I tried to have filled locally at a dive shop. They told me on the phone they could get me close to 4,500 psi.
But when I got the bottle filled it read 3,600psi and by the time I got it home and it had cooled off, it was at 3,300 psi. My AEA airgun fills to 3,3300 psi, so that's next to useless for me! My backup plan was to buy a Alpha filter from Joe, along with the tank, but they didn't have any in stock at the time. So now my $$$ airgun setup has been sitting collecting dust for over a year.

I have a YH compressor but would need a good filter before I use it to fill up my tank. Alpha filters are $400 from Joe. Money is not a problem, but that seems like a LOT of money for a filter. A lot has changed since I bought my YH 5-6 years ago. Am I better off putting that $400 towards a better compressor with a built in filter, like the Tuxing? When I bought my YH it was just to fill up my marauder to 3,000psi, not to fill a big tank to 4,500psi!

This has the same engine as the air venturi minus the radiator/reservoir. Ares is great company. Zach will take very good care of and answer any questions you have. Get in touch with him.$1700 vs $600

Last edited:
Appreciate the reply's. When I said money wasn't an issue, I was just referring to the price of the Alpha. Meaning I can afford it, I just wasn't sure if it was the wisest way to spend the money.

I'll probably just get the alpha filter and use my YH until it quits, then by a quality compressor.

It's a dilemma since it's legal for me to shoot powder guns on my ranch. Makes it's kind of tough to justify spending this kind of money on a filter when I could buy a .22LR rifle and 1000's of rounds of ammo for the same price!

I don't fill a Great White, my 45 minute SCBA is only about 66 ft3, but I do not think I need even one of the really big Tuxing air filters. I bought a significantly smaller black one and filled it with color change dessicant. It takes several tank refills to even start to change color. I have one of the really large gold ones but haven't installed it because I do not see a need. I can't imagine spending $400 on a filter based upon my experience. Just seems like extreme overkill. We need dry air but I think we can get it for less than $100. Don't need to spend $400. To be safe, you could get one of the big Tuxings and fill it with dessicant (no carbon). I like the color change kind so I know when to change it. Won't approach $400 in cost.

Reactions: Wauzoo
I don't fill a Great White, my 45 minute SCBA is only about 66 ft3, but I do not think I need even one of the really big Tuxing air filters. I bought a significantly smaller black one and filled it with color change dessicant. It takes several tank refills to even start to change color. I have one of the really large gold ones but haven't installed it because I do not see a need. I can't imagine spending $400 on a filter based upon my experience. Just seems like extreme overkill. We need dry air but I think we can get it for less than $100. Don't need to spend $400. To be safe, you could get one of the big Tuxings and fill it with dessicant (no carbon). I like the color change kind so I know when to change it. Won't approach $400 in cost.
My 032's first filter catches 98% of the moisture, the second catches the rest, I've added a Tuxing Molecular filter, because I'm paranoid, it was a cheap investment, not showing a lick of moisture. It wasn't any near $400.

Reactions: Wauzoo
We need dry air but I think we can get it for less than $100. Don't need to spend $400. To be safe, you could get one of the big Tuxings and fill it with dessicant (no carbon). I like the color change kind so I know when to change it. Won't approach $400 in cost.

But is it really safe?

Screenshot_20230803_153433_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230803_153401_Chrome.jpg

So if I'm understanding this correctly, if I want to fill my SCBA with dry air without setting off an IED in the shed, I need a $400 filter?

I think the "seamed pipe" video only serves to illustrate that not everything manufactured in China is made to the necessary quality level. $75 for one of the big gold filters is also too low a price which would be a clue something was not right. I have three inexpensive chinese made filters and none has any sign of a seam. They are significantly thicker walled than the air chamber of my airguns. I use two of them each time I run the YH and the only issue I've had is a need for new O-rings.

I think if you buy a filter preferably from a reputable source that is not the absolute cheapest you can find and then look it over when you get it you can avoid any risk of it failing at normal airgun pressures (up through 300 bar). That is my experience, at least.

Another data set to consider is a Target Forge video where he compares the air from a CX 2 and YH with different filters. He sent the air out for analysis. One result that stuck with me is the dessicant works, the other type filter did not. Didn't extract moisture.

I think the "seamed pipe" video only serves to illustrate that not everything manufactured in China is made to the necessary quality level. $75 for one of the big gold filters is also too low a price which would be a clue something was not right. I have three inexpensive chinese made filters and none has any sign of a seam. They are significantly thicker walled than the air chamber of my airguns. I use two of them each time I run the YH and the only issue I've had is a need for new O-rings.

I think if you buy a filter preferably from a reputable source that is not the absolute cheapest you can find and then look it over when you get it you can avoid any risk of it failing at normal airgun pressures (up through 300 bar). That is my experience, at least.

Another data set to consider is a Target Forge video where he compares the air from a CX 2 and YH with different filters. He sent the air out for analysis. One result that stuck with me is the dessicant works, the other type filter did not. Didn't extract moisture.
I've only used the GX compressors with their 20 or 30 minute run time limits, but how long can a water cooled unit like the Yong Heng safely run before needing to take a break?