Epic Epic two with very bad regulator creep :-(

thanx, please keep us updated. So I'm assuming you didnt ask if this was a known issue, and they didnt comment anything either?

No I didn't ask if it was a known issue but they did say they had seen it on very low reg set pressure as in 40/50 bar, I’ve received my bag of reg parts and awaiting them to do a video now on how best to change it all over, link here to my issue…..

I received my TWO yesterday. No chance to shoot it before the weekend.
First impressions are the it seems extremely well built. Heavy, compared to a Dreamline perhaps but seem to be similar to a USFT or Red Wolf. I should actually measure the weights. With a Delta scope mounted the balance felt quite good. I'll probably change the grip and I wonder how long the beautiful matt black finish will hold up to handling....
More when I shoot it.

Reactions: Peashooter
Isent this the issue reported on rifles with balanced valves, needing a few shots to settle in after not being shot for a while.
Or can you actually see the creep on the gauge for the regulated pressure.

I would assume the warranty follow the rifle and not the owner, so as long as you have the proof of purchase from the original buyer you should be good.
Not all rifles with balanced valves, I had had 2 in my possession from one manufacturer neither of which experienced this, both rifles albeit different models, used the same balanced valve one is years old the other is new within the last year but had heavy heavy use.... I personally own one of the two and I can let it sit for a month and still not experience first slow shot.

Since i am also somewhat of a camera guy, i would make a time lapse of the Two reg gauge just going up and up as the rifle sit unused. :) Doing a several days long recording would not be a problem for me.
Some times it take very little to amuse me / keep me occupied.

It seem to be able to hold the 100 BAR which is about what i would shoot with in .177 / FAC

Pressure creep is inevitable with any regulator as the valve seat wears over time. It is a service item like O-rings.

Several ways to approach it:
  • Service it yourself. Can consist of dressing the seal with wet sanding, replacing the seal, or in some cases just flipping the seal to expose a fresh surface.
  • Replace the entire regulator
  • Send the gun in for service
The creep can be minimized by reg design - the nozzle shape and the piston head diameter.

IMG_5160.jpegIMG_5161.jpegIMG_5165.jpegIMG_5166.jpegIMG_5167.jpegIMG_5168.jpegIMG_5170.jpeg

Update on this…Epic sent me a whole new reg as promised and done me a video showing me what to change, turned out just one small part and it’s o ring needed changing and it’s now sat rock solid at 90 bar and has done for 3 days…..so big thanks to Epic for great customer support, the part I changed is circled in red in one of the pics above, I also found and additional piece installed by the U.K. importer 🤦 that didn’t get re installed, not sure if they intended this piece to be a plenum volume reducer (which didn’t make any difference to power levels when removed) or as de-pinger…who knows 🤷‍♂️

Hi all,
I'm new here. I recently bought the Epic Two (.25) as my first serious PCP. My first rifle with an adjustable/readable regulator. It is currently set at 120bar, but when I fill the airtank to 300bar, the regulator also gets filled to 300bar. It takes 2/3 blank shots to set it back to regulated pressure, but then the airtanks pressure also drops almost a 100bar. I'm wondering if this is normal, I'm doing something wrong or there's also an issue with the regulator? Thanks for the help

Reactions: Peashooter
Hi all,
I'm new here. I recently bought the Epic Two (.25) as my first serious PCP. My first rifle with an adjustable/readable regulator. It is currently set at 120bar, but when I fill the airtank to 300bar, the regulator also gets filled to 300bar. It takes 2/3 blank shots to set it back to regulated pressure, but then the airtanks pressure also drops almost a 100bar. I'm wondering if this is normal, I'm doing something wrong or there's also an issue with the regulator? Thanks for the help
Sometimes even rifle says it can be filled to 300 bar, regulator only supports 250.

Try filling the rifle to 248 bar and, please, tell us if that solves the inconsistency.

Reactions: Chyves
Hi all,
Creeping all the way to the unregulated pressure in front of the regulator, that is more creep than i have ever heard off, you for sure need to launch a complaint on that.
And if the brand / seller claim a rifle is a 300 BAR fill rifle, then i think it is fair to assume the Reg sitting behind that pressure are also made to hold up to that pressure.

Sounds like the regulator is operating in bypass mode. Meaning input pressure = output pressure. There was a similar topic a few weeks back so I'm going to paste in the content:

Your thinking is on the right track. If it is operating in bypass (output pressure = input pressure), the cause may be one of the following:
  1. The stack is squeezing flat before the piston can reach the valve seat.
  2. The piston is reaching the valve seat but the valve seat is damaged (e.g. badly worn) and therefore will not seal to halt the flow of air.
  3. The O-ring on the adjuster is bad, allowing air to bypass the valve seat.
Number 3 is pretty common so I would say look there first. But also inspect the condition of the plastic seal of the valve seat. If it is badly indented, the regulator likely will not work well after you’ve replaced the adjuster O-ring. Note that if indeed the adjuster O-ring was the culprit, the seat is likely to have experienced a brutal squeeze resulting from the overpressure condition, in which case it will need to be either replaced or wet sanded flat and smooth.

Link to the thread if you want to read through it:

Thank for the quick reply’s! I’ve tested Emu’s suggestion filling only to 248bar and the result was the same. Both gauges run parallel to each other and only after 5 blank shots the regulators pressure is decompressed to its correct value. (the pressure in the air tube decreased 25 bar).

After that I emptied the rifle below 50bar and did a second fill to 300 bar. Same result, but it took only 2 bank shots to get the correct pressure on the regulator. (the pressure in the air tube lost only 10 bar).

(Once it's filled and the regulators set, I didn't noticing any creep overnight)

So, I’m wondering (and I know this is a newbie question), shouldn’t the regulator stop at it’s set value (100bar) during a new fill. Or is it normal it runs parallel to the maintank and you have to decompress it manually?

1711779183242.png

• Wow
Reactions: qball
Thank for the quick reply’s! I’ve tested Emu’s suggestion filling only to 248bar and the result was the same. Both gauges run parallel to each other and only after 5 blank shots the regulators pressure is decompressed to its correct value. (the pressure in the air tube decreased 25 bar).

After that I emptied the rifle below 50bar and did a second fill to 300 bar. Same result, but it took only 2 bank shots to get the correct pressure on the regulator. (the pressure in the air tube lost only 10 bar).

(Once it's filled and the regulators set, I didn't noticing any creep overnight)

So, I’m wondering (and I know this is a newbie question), shouldn’t the regulator stop at it’s set value (100bar) during a new fill. Or is it normal it runs parallel to the maintank and you have to decompress it manually?

View attachment 450496
Not normal. I would contact Epic about that. The regs job is to keep pressure at setpoint not rise to tank pressure and then have to shoot it down to reg pressure.

View attachment 450496

My reg was sorted after changing the o ring stated in one of my above posts and has been fine since, however the rifle developed a second fault almost straight after sorting the first issue in that now the valve sticks solid occasionally and fails to fire several times over a magazine meaning I have to recock rifle…remove mag so further pellets are not loaded into barrel and dry fire several times until it starts firing again, it’ll be fine for a few more shots before sticking again and above procedure repeated, awaiting more parts from epic to sort this issue and getting very deflated with it all now, owned the rifle a couple of months and am yet to take it out and use the damn thing in the field, I will NEVER buy another new release from any manufacturer ever again, best to sit things out and let the teething issues get sorted first

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: qball and Dairyboy