• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Entry to Mid-Level Scope for New FT Shooter

Good morning - I’m an experienced PB shooter, metallic silhouette & bullseye pistol, but new to air guns other than lots of offhand practice with an FWB 300. When I expressed interest in shooting Hunter FT a friend loaned me a Westhunter 4-16x scope to mount on my HW77 to experiment with. When shooting at less than 18 yards even when I turn the scope to 4x, I‘m unable to obtain a sharp target image. The result is a slightly out of focus target with a relatively sharp reticle.
What would be a good 4-16x or, if possible, 6-24x medium priced ($500-600) scope to mount on my HW77, but would work on a PCP. I like what I’ve read about Athlon scopes, but am open to other makes. And yes, I think I’m starting to go down the rabbit hole. I look forward to your suggestions. Thanks, Tom

My choice for scopes are:

Riton optics- conquer range are excellent scopes. They offer military/veteran discounts and are veteran owned.

Element Optics - Helix range

Both companies offer lifetime no questions asked warranties.

Both companies rate their scopes for springers.

Check the classified section here. There are several scopes listed that are what you are looking for.

Last edited:
If you have not done so already, you should attend a FT match. Introduce yourself and let it be known that you are looking for a FT scope for your 77. After the match ask to look thru some of the scopes being used. This should give you a better idea of what you want in your scope. Who knows, you might score something from one of the shooters that would have been beyond your budget if bought new. Oh yeah, any scope that you put on your springer should be springer rated and have a good warrantee. Uj

I have the athlon heras sfp 6-24 and the Helos gen 2 4-20 and a gen 2 argos btr 6-24 ffp. My vote goes to the argos. Fully illuminated reticle and easier for me to see than the heras. The heras the dot is all that's illuminated on mine and I thought I would like the .2mil hash marks but the reticle is to fine and they are to close together for my liking. The argos is half mil hashes and a little thicker and not as busy for me. I think the focus about the same. For the money the argos can't be beat for hunter class. I shoot it on my tx.

Jon

I woud still say ATHLON 6x24 is good for getting your ranging mapped out and then turn down to 16 for competition.
RANGING MAPPING needs to be done AT THE x POWER YOUR GOING TO BE USING. Seldom does a scope range the same when changing magnification settings.

RANGING MAPPING needs to be done AT THE x POWER YOUR GOING TO BE USING. Seldom does a scope range the same when changing magnification settings.
ok thanks i was tole it was easier to set your range for 45 to 60 yards at a higher Mag . thanks for the correction

Reactions: Motorhead
ok thanks i was tole it was easier to set your range for 45 to 60 yards at a higher Mag . thanks for the correction
It does ( Higher Mag value ) shallow the Depth Of Field .. sadly it does not translate to a lower mag value that if ones screws around doing so, will find this out first hand. Which honestly is not a bad thing as education seat of the pants is more valuable than having read it etc .. ;)

Reactions: cavedweller
Also do it the same way every time. I learned this the hard way. If you go near the far always go near to far. Or vice versa. Some scopes do better from near to far others far to near, you will just have to play with it and see. Also the speed at which you turn your wheel matters that too needs to be the same every time. In time you will develop your own routine that works for you just stick to it. I'm just starting and I've asked a lot here for help and the guys I shoot with. Learn from their experiences and save some heartache

Jon

Also do it the same way every time. I learned this the hard way. If you go near the far always go near to far. Or vice versa. Some scopes do better from near to far others far to near, you will just have to play with it and see. Also the speed at which you turn your wheel matters that too needs to be the same every time. In time you will develop your own routine that works for you just stick to it. I'm just starting and I've asked a lot here for help and the guys I shoot with. Learn from their experiences and save some heartache

Jon
I’m right there with ya!

I have the athlon heras sfp 6-24 and the Helos gen 2 4-20 and a gen 2 argos btr 6-24 ffp. My vote goes to the argos. Fully illuminated reticle and easier for me to see than the heras. The heras the dot is all that's illuminated on mine and I thought I would like the .2mil hash marks but the reticle is to fine and they are to close together for my liking. The argos is half mil hashes and a little thicker and not as busy for me. I think the focus about the same. For the money the argos can't be beat for hunter class. I shoot it on my tx.

Jon
I looked through Jon's Heras scope recently and I honestly don't know how he can see the sub-hash marks. Maybe he had it turned way down to mess with me.
I just bought the Riton X3 Conquer, and for $250 at Amazon I am super impressed. I just wrote a review about it: here

I’ve been doing some additional research and have narrowed my search down to two possible scopes, the Athlon Talos 6-24x50 x ATMR1 SFP IR Mil and Athlon Heras SPR 4-20x50 AAGR2 SPF Mil. Which scope would be a good entry level scope to try shooting HFT to see if I want to become more serious? I’d appreciate your comments. Thanks, Tom
Late to the post
what scope did you decide on? and how is it working for you?

I bought the Athlon Midas Tac 6-24X50 put a 5" side wheel on it and it ranges pretty good. The reticle is the APLR-4 MOA and works good for hold over/ under and hold off. The glass is better than I thought it would be. This is my first Athlon and I would recommend it. I found it on sale for $550, it isn't illuminated but that doesn't bother me.