• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Entry PCP Compared to Field Target Springers....Which is More Accurate?

Hey all,

Something I have been thinking about is getting a more accurate air rifle. Right now I have a Diana 34 Classic Pro and it's a nice rifle, but I'd like to get something more accurate. I have been checking on entry PCP's like the Marauder and the nice springers most often used in Field Target shooting like the HW97K, the Air Arms TX200 and the Air Arms Pro Sport.

I only shoot at paper in the back yard at distance from 10 to 50 meters.

I'm curious about how the Marauder would stack up to those springers accuracy wise in .177. Assume that the Marauder had the upgraded Walther barrel. Which one do you think would come out on top? I had thought of making the jump to PCP, but I started looking at other alternatives like those I mentioned. I've even added the vintage match rifles like the FWB 300 to my list to consider as well. Those don't do so well past 25 meters though, especially if there's much of a breeze.

I've never shot or handled any of these rifles that I've mentioned here. I have to rely on what I can read in articles and tests, see in YouTube videos or get from others that are kind enough to help me and offer up their advice and experience.

So..if you were going to pick ONE to shoot at paper targets from 10 to 50 meters....in .177....which one would you choose and why? Which one do you think would be the most accurate at those distances? I guess we should keep the comparison between the new rifles instead of adding in the vintage match rifles. If there are any other rifles you think I should be looking at or reading up about, please feel free to mention it. Believe me, I can use all the help and suggestions I can get.

Thank you all for your time and any help you care to give me.

Have a great weekend.

Larry

Many $300 PCP's that shoot good are available. The Fortitude is one (once you break in the regulator). The new Fortitude is power adjustable with a lighter trigger. 

1550319506_9629491345c67ff92173395.21635207_bpf22s_02.jpeg

The New SIG ASP20 is supposed to be the best springer yet. Just ordered one. ($349-$429)

1550319586_13104442445c67ffe2895882.29776147_SHB1118_SIG_06.jpg

at first I was like "seriously?" when I saw this thread...

....but a Fortitude vs ASP20 (with a practiced spring shooter) would be a good battle. 

-Nate 

I own an hw97k, pro sport (both .177) and a Marauder .22 with a MM hammer forged barrel.

Inside of 20 yards, the springers and the Marauder are too close to call on accuracy. Beyond 20-25 yards the edge in accuracy goes to the Marauder. Some of that gap may just reflect the greater power of the Marauder at distance, but the lack of recoil plays a role too.

That said, I target shoot with my springers about 90% of the time. 

R

Most springers require more technique to shoot well, as versus a PCP. A LOT of the accuracy of a springer depends upon the shooter. A PCP is more novice friendly, and almost anyone can walk up to a decent quality PCP and shoot it well.

What separates a "field target" springer from the rest of the Springer pack is typically:

1. A better trigger, with a light pull and a consistent "break".

2. A smoother shot cycle, which requires "less technique to shoot well".

3. A better stock design, which encourages better body placement to compensate for the shot cycle.

4. A better quality barrel than a bargain basement springer.

An entry level PCP may lack some of these factors. My (entry level PCP) Maximus came from the factory with a not-so-great trigger, a light stock which was so-so in shape, a good barrel, and it was unregulated. I actually believe a top end field target springer "could" out shoot it at 25 meters. This under the assumption the springer is being operated by an experienced competition springer shooter. If a novice is using the springer, the Maximus will beat his springer results all day long. 

And of course, a PCP mandates that you have spent the additional money on a pump, which drives up the cost of ownership. Currently the cheapest entry point into PCP is a maximus starter kit, which comes with the gun, pellets, PUMP, target, and safety glasses. With the AGNATION discount from Crosman, it can be had as a kit for $263. And order it on a Friday, and it ships for free.

It's tough to say what gun is more or less accurate. Every rifle is different. PCP guns are easier to shoot well.

Rick

While I personally find PCP's Easier to shoot well, I find that springers are by Far more Rewarding to shoot well. 

For an example of a spring guns inherent accuracy,check out the AEAC review of the HW95 Lexus...then Try not to rush out and buy one.LOL!

(I'm going to go watch it Again for the umpteenth time..it just makes me happy!)

Mike

Hummm.....probably depends on the gun and the shooter because PCPs are easier to shoot accurately due to less "gun motion", however I really don't know if a PCP is inherently more accurate. Here are a couple 50 yard groups I shot with my home tuned .177 HW95 and .177 Beeman R9 while sitting on a bucket resting the guns on cross sticks.........

The very first National Field Target match I attended in 2010 was the first time the "piston hunter class" was added to the national match. Since the hunter piston class wasn't well attended the 2010 national hunter class was combined PCP/piston. Out of 17 hunter class entries only 5 were shooting piston guns and the remaining dozen were shooting PCPs. At the end of the 2010 two day national match I scored "4th place" using my .177 HW77k.............

Anywhoo........since that 2010 national match most field target shooters are using "easier to shoot accurately PCPs" which has prompted "higher difficulty course setups". LOL....I often take 1st, 2nd and 3rd place at current matches because I'm the only piston shooter in the hunter class. Hummm.......I'm guessing that PCPs are indeed more accurate in the hands of current shooters or range masters wouldn't keep increasing the course difficulties to compensate! :) 

I think a good spring gun will shoot as well as the best cheaper PCP. What I do know for sure is you buy a cheap PCP and it's worth next to nothing in 2-3 years (if not right away) buy a quality spring (like TX200, HW97 HW77 Pro Sport ) and it will always retain its value and maybe even appreciate over the years.To get a PCP that will out shoot a quality spring gun You would spend at least 600.oo+ Not many cheaper PCP that give you pride of ownership like a nice Walnut stocked spring gun will either.All this is just my opinion of course.Just somethings to consider.

Thanks all for the suggestions and opinions.

I went and looked up some info on the 3 springers that I mentioned, the TX200, the Pro Sport and the HW97K. One thing that I forgot to take into consideration is the COCKING EFFORT. My Diana was about 33 pounds before I added the reduced power main spring. I don't know what it is now, but it's less than what it was. In the video I watched about the Pro Sport, the test guy emphasized the cocking effort on both of his first 2 shots. He didn't say the pound rating, but if it's stout enough to get this guy, who is the well known airgun tester and writer, to emphasize it, it's too stout for me to mess with. I want to ENJOY shooting my air rifle, not FIGHT with it just to get it cocked. He also mentioned how SHORT the cocking lever was and how that made it even HARDER to cock. That was all within the first 3-4 minutes of the video and I didn't need to go any further. Now I can cross the Pro Sport OFF my list. If I got it I would have to send it off and have a reduced power spring put in it and that would be an easy $150 and might change the accuracy and characteristics of the rifle.

Next is the TX200. The cocking effort on it was listed at 29 pounds and the lever is also short. I've also seen info where it was listed at 34 pounds...who knows what it really is. I'll try and ind the number and report back if I can. I didn't watch any videos that mentioned the difficulty in cocking the rifle so that one might be OK. I've read tests where the user said how nice the rifle was to start shooting and the cocking effort wasn't a problem, nice and smooth. 

Then the HW97. It's listed at 34-35 pounds. I didn't see any comments complaining on how hard it was to cock. I was expecting it to be more than the TX200 and I think it is, but it doesn't seem to be a major thing with those that tested it in videos that I've watched. I know that some of the Beeman break barrel rifles are stout to cock and I for sure don't want anything like that.

I might be better off looking into the side lever match rifles like the FWB 300 Universal, Anschutz 2002 and some others, maybe even the PCP version FWB600.

I guess I could always have any springer I would take a liking to tuned with a lower pound main spring. Since I'm not going to do anything but shoot paper, I won't have to worry much about the speed of the pellet.

Still, the allure of those match rifles is strong for me. I've wanted an FWB300 for over 20 years. Every time I see one for sale, it's out of my price range. There's an FWB300 Universal with a Beeman Blue Ribbon scope for sale now, but boy is it out of my range. Guy wants $1K for it. It's nice, but NOT THAT NICE!!

Anyway, thank you for your help and advice. I appreciate it.

Larry

You don't mention Walthers in your post. I do not currently have an HW under lever and have only had a 77 in the past, but my favorite of the 3 I have is my BSA Superstar. My LGU is a close second but pretty far away is my TX. All 3 are quite good for day to day steady accuracy but for some reason, I just don't enjoy the TX as much . The LGU is pretty amazing though, and worth a consideration. The trigger would "only " go down to about a pound until I put a Rowan unit on it, but was still very good. My original HW77 was quite pleasant and accurate but I understand that current ones are a bit more harsh.

I think you'll find many pcp's in the Marauder price range and under that can shoot well. My particular Mrod does not shoot as well as the above 3 but is much easier to shoot and also has a magazine for easy, fun plinking. It's a difficult rifle to beat for sturdiness and adaptability. An AA S200 might be a consideration though. Light, accurate, and sturdy. Too many choices .....

Bob

You don't mention Walthers in your post. I do not currently have an HW under lever and have only had a 77 in the past, but my favorite of the 3 I have is my BSA Superstar. My LGU is a close second but pretty far away is my TX. All 3 are quite good for day to day steady accuracy but for some reason, I just don't enjoy the TX as much . The LGU is pretty amazing though, and worth a consideration. The trigger would "only " go down to about a pound until I put a Rowan unit on it, but was still very good. My original HW77 was quite pleasant and accurate but I understand that current ones are a bit more harsh.

I think you'll find many pcp's in the Marauder price range and under that can shoot well. My particular Mrod does not shoot as well as the above 3 but is much easier to shoot and also has a magazine for easy, fun plinking. It's a difficult rifle to beat for sturdiness and adaptability. An AA S200 might be a consideration though. Light, accurate, and sturdy. Too many choices .....

Bob

If your TX 200 can't come close to the other two springers you mentioned, you should have it repaired. there's no comparison in those guns.

Kinda hard between the two till you talk speed and distance. Twenty yards they shoot about the same if springer is under the 800FPS. Get above that and they can become hold sensitive and not forgiving. PCP at 950 FPS or even above just plain shoots good. A really good springer shoots equally as a cheap PCP in my opinion. Take your pick. I am a springer guy but find my QB Chief and QB78S a little boring for indoor targets in the house. CHEERS!

My first springers were Gamo Whispers that were professionally tuned back in the day. My first two budget PCPs were a Benjamin Discovery and Gamo Urban. Both outshoot and out class the springers. I would say the Whisper’s tune job put them more in a high end class than where they started. So my experience would suggest that budget PCPs are generally going to be superior to all but the finest springers.