• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Entry level break barrel 22 cal air rifle with nice trigger ??

Hi Longfellow .... I appreciate the info on the NP ... it's intriguing that some people have good luck and others like my friend don't, a toss of the dice as it were. I'm still thinking things through and I'm tempted to wait and watch for a good sale. The video by Kinney Karmody was interesting ... thanks for mentioning it, I'm going to check out some of the videos on his channel while they are still up .. The tip on pellet choices was also helpful, I've never shot a pellet heavier than 8 grains through a .177, I was wondering just the other day how a heavier 10.5 or 10.65 pellet would work, assuming the rifle has sufficient muzzle velocity. It's very refreshing in this day and age to find a place (airgun nation) where so many people (like yourself ) are willing to invest their time and knowledge to help others. Thank You

albino

You're welcome, Al. Karmody said in one of his vids a lot of break barrels come out of the factory w/ defective piston seals. Which affect the velocity and thus the accuracy. Actually, the original SR I received from PA had a defective nitro piston. I had paid for the 10 for $10 test and the tester sent me a SR that was approximately 11% less powerful than it should have been. It didn't affect the accuracy though.

I started a thread about that at GTA. Everyone got involved in the thread and since PA has an account there, the PA execs got involved too. Long story short, the PA tech manager personally tested a SR for me and sent it to me as a replacement. They definitely wanted to ensure I was a satisfied customer. *Smiles*

I had known what a NP2 was capable of thanks to a vid Karmody did on the Benjamin Trail NP2. The replacement SR I was sent had an even higher velocity than the one Karmody tested. It tested out as having 905 fps / 21.6 fpe w/ 11.9 gr .22 Hobby pellets (Karmody's NP2 had 864 fps w/ that pellet). Like I said before, my SR is a superlative air rifle. Now you know why.

There is a downside to using heavier .177 pellets in spring rifles. It wears the spring out faster. Supposedly, the B-19 spring is good for 1500 shots w/ pellets heavier than 9.1 grains. The preferred weight range for a B-19 spring is 6.9 gr-9.1 grs. I don't sweat that too much since (after all) I have 3 Optimus'.

Using 8 grs like you are, the spring should be good for 15,000 shots. 

The upside to heavier pellets (at least in my Optimus) is a far better shot cycle. A 7.9 pellet is kinda jolty when fired. The 10.34 gr is smooth. Like it was made for the B-19 spring. Oddly, the 10.5's are a tad too heavy. Velocity w/ 10.34 = 800 fps /14.7 fpe. Velocity w/ 10.5 = 759 fps / 13.4 fpe.

I would jump on this one . https://hatsanairgunsusa.com/product/_refurbished-mod-95-spring/

I've had a couple of the 135’s and I really liked the triggers , not quite as good as the Rekord but not exactly lacking either. I’ve heard of some accuracy issues with the 135 and 125 models but I think that was more related to slinging pellets way too fast. 

Hi Longfellow, thanks for the information about the pellets and how weight affects accuracy and spring life, again very informative. You must have been reading my mind .. those were questions I wanted to find out about. If you don't mind my asking another question (or two) ... is the 14.3 grain 22 cal pellet the same thing to a 22 airgun as the 7 to 8 grain pellet is to a .177 airgun? Do you have any experience with a Crosman 1377 or 1322 multi-pump pistol. Or the Crosman 2240 Co2 pistol. I found a couple of old (barely used) multi-pump pistols from Crosman and Benjamin Sheridan that I bought and put away decades ago, I'm getting bit by the airgun addiction again, so I was wondering what pellets work best in the Crosman .177 and .22 pneumatic pistols. I'm going to buy a Crosman 2240xl (at least get on a waiting list) I've never had a Co2 or PCP gun and I think it's a good place to start, so I was interested in a good staring grain weight for that pistol. I think the 1377 is about 500 fps on 10 pumps and 460 fps for the 1322 with 10 pumps, and 460 fps for the Co2 factory 2044xl. Thanks !!

Hi Al. 

1. 14.3 / .22 and/or 7.9 / .177 are considered standard weights. It's arguable. Lots of target shooters like 7 gr RWS Meisterkugelns. To them 7 gr's would be a 'standard weight' pellet. Same would go for the 11.9 gr .22 pellet. Which would likely work very well in the 2240.

2. I probably have the most experience of all airguns w/ the 1322 / 1377's. Check out my new thread in the hunting section "2 For The Price of 1: aka I'm really enjoying my 'new' homemade Crosman 1389". My .22 Crosman Backpacker may be my favorite air rifle. Both used to be pistols and are now carbines. I also have another 1377 that I am about to switch over to a 1322 and I'm going to put a Mellon Air adjustable flattop piston and valve into it. The Backpackers both have alchemy airwerks flattop pistons and valves in them.

3. I have no experience w/ the 2240. I have some .177 CO2 pistols: Daisy 408, Daisy 415, Daisy 426, & Gamo P-23..

4. If you have a Benjamin Sheridan HB22 and/or HB77, then GOOD ON YOU. Those are great pistols. If they're barely used though, you need to break them in. They're kinda hard to pump until they're broken in. Don't forget to keep the pivot points well lubricated. They're easier to pump that way. Same w/ the 1322/1377's.

I've only been using break barrels for the last few years. I've used pumpers all of my life. CO2 for maybe the past 15 years.