• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Entry level break barrel 22 cal air rifle with nice trigger ??

Hello ... I've always wanted a 22 cal air rifle ... so I'm looking to purchase something inexpensive to try plinking with .. to see if I like the caliber before investing in either a nice springer or pcp in 22 cal. Anyway .. any suggestions on an entry level break barrel with a good trigger, adjustable would be great. By the way .. off topic a bit ... Does anyone have any experience with the Diana Outlaw 22 cal PCP air rifle? If yes, what is your opinion of that rifle?

By entry level you mean budget. Look at the rws 34 .22.
Screenshot_20210427-152833.1619551914.png

In .22 you can get an HW30 which I have and have used over and over again feeling it has enough power and accuracy to pick out sand pebbles at 30 yards with EASE.

Velocity is around 500 or less fps but the whole package is way better that investing in a pneumatic pumper like we have advertised in the TOP thread.

The HW30 .22 to me is the best "common" .22 air rifle I have to cover all a .22 needs to do up to 35 yards with open sights.

The cheapest I would entertain is the D34 Diana 34. They were on sale for $200 somewhere recently. Numrich Gun Parts maybe? 

That would be my bet. It has enough power to hunt, German built and decent quality, and a very decent trigger. 

For more money, you could get a Weihrauch HW95 but if you are dead set on a .22 caliber I'd get the Diana. 

I'd probably look around and find a deal on a Diana 34. The Classic version (beech stock) is a little more money but still reasonable The Panther version (Model 34P) has a synthetic stock and runs a little cheaper. As mentioned the T06 trigger is nice as is the power. Mine hits 18+ ft lbs with alloy Predator GTO's and 17+ ft lbs with some mid 14 gr lead pellets.

Hi Everyone, Just got back ... sorry for the late response. Thank you all once again for your suggestions, still deciding. Deerstalker .. that is one beautiful 95, thanks for posting it. Bimota ... I shoot from a bench when sighting in, once it's dialed in then I like to shoot offhand, sitting, kneeling and prone, usually with a good sling ... I like the challenge. I appreciate you all taking time to assist me in making the best decision !!

Entry level? Hmm...

Midway is selling the Benjamin .22 Prowler for $134. You'd need to modify the trigger w/ either the roller bearing fix, or the GRT trigger from Charlie DaTuna. (I'd opt for the roller bearing fix myself).

And, you'd need a better scope than the 4X32 it comes w/.

Example: I bought a .22 Crosman NP2 Summit Ranger a couple of years ago. I modded the Clean Break, 2 stage trigger w/ an NP2 trigger kit from M*Carbo (same kit as the SLT trigger fix) which gives it a 1.75 lb trigger pull. I also added a Tasco 2-10X42mmAO scope w/ mil dots, an LDC and a sling.

It's a good quiet 50 yard shooter. It gets sub 1 inch groups at 25 yards w/ AA 16 gr domes. 

I could probably turn it into a 75 yard shooter using 14.3 gr pellets and might do so some day. Chairgun says the SR using 14.3 gr pellets has a retained fpe of 10 lbs at 75 yards. 

Hi Longfellow, thank you for your response I found it very informative. I looked up the roller bearing fix for a crosman rifle, I was surprised at how easy it was, if you have ever done one, did you leave in or modify the trigger adjustment screw or just take it out? As a point of interest ... a friend, about a week ago, bought the Prowler and had to send it back, might have just been a lemon, I've read a lot of really good reviews about the Prowler but this one would not hold a group at 10 yards, pellets keyhole, same thing at 20 yards, he put on a really nice scope from another springer, and still no grouping and pellets keyhole. I appreciate the suggestions and I learned a lot by exploring them on the internet .... thanks once again !

Hi Longfellow, thank you for your response I found it very informative. I looked up the roller bearing fix for a crosman rifle, I was surprised at how easy it was, if you have ever done one, did you leave in or modify the trigger adjustment screw or just take it out? As a point of interest ... a friend, about a week ago, bought the Prowler and had to send it back, might have just been a lemon, I've read a lot of really good reviews about the Prowler but this one would not hold a group at 10 yards, pellets keyhole, same thing at 20 yards, he put on a really nice scope from another springer, and still no grouping and pellets keyhole. I appreciate the suggestions and I learned a lot by exploring them on the internet .... thanks once again !

You're welcome, albino. Sounds like the pellets were hitting the baffles on the shroud destabilizing them. There's a thread at AGN about that.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/donnyfl-koi-baffle-bounce-clipping/

Yeah. that Prowler he got was a lemon, alright. That can be fixed by taking the shroud apart and enlarging the hole around the baffle(s) the pellets are hitting. (if one cares to, that is). Some airgunners are natural born DIYers. Some aren't. The 'new' Prowler is essentially a renamed Benjamin Trail. Most of the shrouds are excellent. Nary a fault w/ them.

https://airgunguild.com/ask-bob/barrel-shrouds/

I prefer LDC's; but, that's JMO. All they need is to be concentric w/ the rifling on the barrel. I have LDC's on 4 of my air rifles. All of them shoot sub 1 inch groups at 25 yards. So does my .177 Crosman Optimus for that matter; but, it doesn't have an LDC. Yet anyway.

I've modded two .177 Optimus' w/ the roller bearing fix. I didn't remove the trigger adjustment screw. 

Which reminds me ... the .22 Optimus w/ the roller bearing fix is a good entry level break barrel too (as is the .177 model). I don't have the .22 version; but, I've heard a lot of good things about them. Might be better though to get the Vantage, the NP version of the .22 Optimus.

albino

Ultimately, all NP's (once the gas leaks out) turn into or back into spring rifles. Trick is ... is to get an accurate rifle. That's #1. If you can get an accurate NP from a good sale, then go for it. My NP2 SR only set me back $99 (pre Black Friday sale at PA) and its my understanding just 6 months earlier they were going for $67 at Midway. 

My .177 Crosman Optimus cost $64 at an Easter Wally World sale (47% off). WW at the time was also selling the .22 version for $89 (33% off). I ended up buying 4 .177 Optimus'. Little bit of overkill there. Probably should have stuck w/ the 2 I originally ordered, (1 for me and 1 for my housekeeper for her birthday). MIght've should have gotten the .22 Optimus instead of ordering 2 more .177 Optimus'. Had I done that I likely would not have ended up getting my SR which is a superlative air rifle.

The late Kinney Karmody has a vid at you tube on the Crosman .177 Vantage. He thought very highly of it. My Optimus is sighted in at 25 yards w/ JSB 10.34 gr pellets. It does an inch or less at that range. That pellet or the Crosman 10.5 or the H&N 10.65 would do nicely in the Vantage.