End of Season Squirrel Hunt With my FX Wildcat (Michigan)

With just a few days left of the season here I took advantage of the afternoon sunshine and got in a quick hunt. According to my GPS I walked 3.5 miles in just under 2 hours to find these guys. The squirrels weren't very active, but I can't remember another day where I have ever seen them so cooperative in being easy targets. I dropped the first 5 I saw and walked past two more on my way back to my home. Also saw at least 20 deer with just about all of them offering easy broadside shots, out in the open. Where were they when I had unfilled tags in my pocket last Fall? 

IMG_5312.1648591413.JPG

With just a few days left of the season here I took advantage of the afternoon sunshine and got in a quick hunt. According to my GPS I walked 3.5 miles in just under 2 hours to find these guys. The squirrels weren't very active, but I can't remember another day where I have ever seen them so cooperative in being easy targets. I dropped the first 5 I saw and walked past two more on my way back to my home. Also saw at least 20 deer with just about all of them offering easy broadside shots, out in the open. Where were they when I had unfilled tags in my pocket last Fall? 

IMG_5312.1648591413.JPG

Finally a fresh squirrel hunting post! Sounds like a bountiful area. Those are some good sized squirrels. Looks like you took some good headshots. Can’t tell on the last one on the right. Nice bag. Did you limit out? How for out were you shooting from? Which caliber is your Wildcat? That is a Wildcat right?

Finally a fresh squirrel hunting post! Sounds like a bountiful area. Those are some good sized squirrels. Looks like you took some good headshots. Can’t tell on the last one on the right. Nice bag. Did you limit out? How for out were you shooting from? Which caliber is your Wildcat? That is a Wildcat right?

Yeah, the limit here is 5 per day. I typically quit after 2 (Enough for soup), but since it was my last hunt of this season I decided to keep at it. Longest shot was about 70 yards, but most were around 30-35. The area I was hunting is a very wide open stand of oaks where you can see 100-200 yards very easily. Gun's a .25 Wildcat Mk3 and I was shooting 25g JSB Hades. All headshots but the last was just a real bleeder (I now need to wash my game vest). 

IMG_5312.1648591413.JPG

Crazy how squirrels color schemes are different depending on which part of the country you're in. Nice haul!!!