ELR Coyote , How Far Would You Go ?

One morning I heard commotion up the hill behind my house and the dogs were out. I ran up there in my robe and one yote was chewing on my old doggy while another yote was literally playing with my goofy Siberian Shepard pup that was not quite a year old. What a scene that was. I was armed with a FN PS90 which had a scope height of 5.5" which in the heat of the moment I didn't account for and missed a easy shot(under its belly), LOL??? I did hit the yote as it ran off at about 150Y but it kept going.

I've also shot a couple yotes with chest shots inside 100Y with my 22rf using lead RN target rounds at 1100 fps and they both ran off. I'm sure they expired shortly after but I'd rather not let them suffer anymore than necessary.

So I've stepped up in power using centerfire varmint cartridges and most of them were DRT or within 30Y or so of where I shot them.

Actually I don’t shoot doe very often. I do if there is an abundance of them but that hasn’t happened at my place since the fawn survival rate has been drastically reduced by the coyote. The coyotes have taken the need for hunters/sportsmen almost out of the equation. Right now if I allowed the hunters that hunt my place to go on a normal tag filling killing spree, we would be in trouble. I’ve noticed the bigger age gaps amongst the doe population affecting other things. All of the doe where I live now drop their fawns in our neighborhood. There is no predadation there. It’s cool to see moms with their babies hanging around but now we are over browsed and have ticks. They have changed things and definitely not for the better. As a hunter, anything less than a clean kill on anything is a failure and cause for evaluation. Same goes for a coyote but I just don’t beat myself up or put as much thought into it if things don’t go perfectly.
I agree with you. BALANCE, man seems to screw it up. There's a Youtube video about the wolves in Yellowstone. (
]) Worth a watch.
Smitty

Last edited:
The whole reintroduction of wolves thing is dumb. They were eradicated for a reason. They reintroduced fishers near where I live. They decimated the turkey population. Now there’s a trapping season for them. But seeing as how this isn’t the 1800’s, little good that will do. I’m just thankful I don’t have to deal with wolves. A friend was on a hunt and had to deal with them. Wasn’t allowed to leave his stand in the dark until a guide showed up in a side by side. Just wonderful.

I agree with you. BALANCE, man seems to screw it up. There's a Youtube video about the wolves in Yellowstone. (
]) Worth a watch.
Smitty
AWESOME video thank you for sharing.

Humans ALWAYS screw everything up. This was once a majestic planet. Now the human parasites are destroying it more and more and think they are doing good smh. Its sad to see how much worse it is each time I come back.

The whole reintroduction of wolves thing is dumb. They were eradicated for a reason. They reintroduced fishers near where I live. They decimated the turkey population. Now there’s a trapping season for them. But seeing as how this isn’t the 1800’s, little good that will do. I’m just thankful I don’t have to deal with wolves. A friend was on a hunt and had to deal with them. Wasn’t allowed to leave his stand in the dark until a guide showed up in a side by side. Just wonderful.
You CLEARLY didnt watch the video above did you. SMH it shows what you state as incorrect. The wolves are bringing balance again. As someone who works to restore waterways and nature its an AWESOME thing to see. I can relate and understand how it affects the rivers even before they got to that point as I work with it on a weekly basis.

Oh so sorry that you or your friends have to worry about another predator out there and you arent at the top of the food chain but too bad. Humans are so far out of balance with this planet that they are ruining it day by day and the balance that nature brings.

Reactions: Rvaughn and qball
]) Worth a watch.
Smitty

Thanks for the video.

It seems like it all started (and "cascaded" down) with the wolves killing / chasing away a certain amount of deer.
And THAT brought about all the other wonderful things mentioned in the video.
(For its somewhat sensational claims I'd like to see some scientific proof beyond conjecture and simple correlation).

Now, to rescue this thread from turning into an environmental discussion, may I suggest some airgun-related measures that might have produced similar positive changes in nature:
Texan, Bulldog, Piledriver, Bully, Seneca, or one of their brethren....

Matthias

PS: Of course, these airgun related measures for the deer overpopulation only work if the human-imposed hunting restrictions in the national park are changed and better adjusted. 👍🏼
Yupp, just like it was mentioned — human beings are the culprit to everything screwed up....

Reactions: Hard2hurt223
I don’t want to come across as being too harsh but when you see them running around with baby deer in their mouths that momma just dropped, I show them the same mercy. An airgun is definitely not my number one choice for them. My coyote gun is a 6mm.
They pulled apart a fawn to pieces a few years back in my property right in front of me. By the time I could get a weapon they were gone. I now keep yote weapons ready to go at all times. I seriously disliked them before that for various reasons but that was it for me.
Joe

They pulled apart a fawn to pieces a few years back in my property right in front of me. By the time I could get a weapon they were gone. I now keep yote weapons ready to go at all times. I seriously disliked them before that for various reasons but that was it for me.
Joe
its all a part of nature. I seriously dont get what the big deal is. Its not like they were harming your livestock, family or pets.

TBH humans need to stop screwing with things eliminating certain animals and plants or introducing non native species. All humans do is screw things up.

You CLEARLY didnt watch the video above did you. SMH it shows what you state as incorrect. The wolves are bringing balance again. As someone who works to restore waterways and nature its an AWESOME thing to see. I can relate and understand how it affects the rivers even before they got to that point as I work with it on a weekly basis.

Oh so sorry that you or your friends have to worry about another predator out there and you arent at the top of the food chain but too bad. Humans are so far out of balance with this planet that they are ruining it day by day and the balance that nature brings.
Randy Selby has a lot to say about wolves. I tend to believe him.
Joe

its all a part of nature. I seriously dont get what the big deal is. Its not like they were harming your livestock, family or pets.

TBH humans need to stop screwing with things eliminating certain animals and plants or introducing non native species. All humans do is screw things up.
Yes. The first couple coyotes my buddies and I shot in 2001 in Ohio were from Texas. How do I know? My taxidermist has a 2,000 acre lease in Texas and asked me where I shot those coyotes. I told him the truth. He said I’ve mounted dozens of northeast coyotes and dozens of coyotes from Texas. The ones I shot didn’t belong in Ohio. Once they took hold and started to spread, the rumors began flying. Either way, they don’t belong here. The deer were stressed enough without them. A human, for whatever reason screwed things up.

I get your point but Coyotes are wayyy over populated around here. The only predator in the chain they have to worry about is humans & most don't hunt them like they should. They in the last 4 + decades on our private road area have ate most all the neighbors dogs, cats & every other living thing they can get ahold of. Wolves would drop there population but then you have another entirely bad situation with them. The balance is human killing coyotes & more people need to do it but they won't unless bounty goes into effect like Idaho did with wolves. Even then...Coyotes are super smart & live in & near cites now,,so good look trying to balance them out now. I also take more pro level pictures of animals then I ever would shoot & kill. I pack my camera gear up Mt Rainer & it kicks my a...but I love it. also coyotes will also play with your dogs before they lure it to they pack were they then shred it. Ive witnessed this also.
Joe

• Wow
Reactions: JungleShooter
I get your point but Coyotes are wayyy over populated around here. The only predator in the chain they have to worry about is humans & most don't hunt them like they should. They in the last 4 + decades on our private road area have ate most all the neighbors dogs, cats & every other living thing they can get ahold of. Wolves would drop there population but then you have another entirely bad situation with them. The balance is human killing coyotes & more people need to do it but they won't unless bounty goes into effect like Idaho did with wolves. Even then...Coyotes are super smart & live in & near cites now,,so good look trying to balance them out now. I also take more pro level pictures of animals then I ever would shoot & kill. I pack my camera gear up Mt Rainer & it kicks my a...but I love it. also coyotes will also play with your dogs before they lure it to they pack were they then shred it. Ive witnessed this also.
Joe
Which I agree with and concur with also. Rainier and the cascades are awesome. You are lucky to enjoy them.

When i made my comment about being amazed with is how people freak out and get emotional and hate on a predator when they see them do something to other prey (non livestock pets humans etc). Yes seeing a fawn tore apart by a predator is harsh but its nature but they react over the top with it.

Humans have done so much harm introducing species to places where they shouldn't or eliminating others. In ohio they introduced fish species that have devastated native populations of others or the natural habitat. Sadly often in the name of sport sighs.

Reactions: Jaxjax
Yes. The first couple coyotes my buddies and I shot in 2001 in Ohio were from Texas. How do I know? My taxidermist has a 2,000 acre lease in Texas and asked me where I shot those coyotes. I told him the truth. He said I’ve mounted dozens of northeast coyotes and dozens of coyotes from Texas. The ones I shot didn’t belong in Ohio. Once they took hold and started to spread, the rumors began flying. Either way, they don’t belong here. The deer were stressed enough without them. A human, for whatever reason screwed things up.
sighs thats so sad to hear it and sadly its not an isolated case.

Randy Selby has a lot to say about wolves. I tend to believe him.
Joe
With the video above, as I was watching it, based on my experience over the last 5 years, I was already drawing conclusions before they stated them, especially about the water quality and how rivers are affected. Why? Because I work with a group clearing downed trees from waterways. We use all natural processes. It prevents flooding and makes it safer for people to use the waterways. We also remove trees from bridges to prevent damage to them. Many of our team are very passionate about it which makes all the work we do worth it as we only use chainsaws and battery powered winches, no heavy equipment, no non natural materials etc.

Part of our work is to limit the impact, be non invasive, restore the health of the waterways, and increase natural habitat. Ive seen areas of grass or trees destroyed by things eating it, like deer or farm animals. This leads to more erosion and water pollution (soil is the largest polluter of our waterways often due to erosion) and damage to the rivers. I've sadly also seen where humans destroyed things. In north central ohio, a creek was channelized. Then they cut many areas of trees against the bank which increased the damage more. Now we are trying to fix what was done. Many of our members have studied to ensure we are being the least invasive and most beneficial without changing the way things nature does it. We are one of the few groups who can work on scenic waterways. We come back to areas that we have worked in the past and seeing the health of the waterways increasing is encouraging along with more natural wildlife. Its very rewarding to give back to nature and the community in this way and help the habitat thats been destroyed or damaged.

This, along with growing up in the pacific northwest and nature, is why I'm so passionate about things of this sort, letting nature do her thing, even if its brutal at times.

Reactions: Jaxjax
I live in N.E.Ohio and grew up around Youngstown area and never saw or heard a coyote until about 15years ago. Now they are everywhere in NE. Ohio. I now live in a city west of Cleveland and we have them all around my house. Any wooded area around here has Coyotes and whitetail deer. We actually are having a bigger problem with feral cats killing all the small game and birds. The dogooders are spaying and neutering them and releasing them. At least they make food for the Yotes instead of the deer. We have Yotes just walking around the sidewalks in broad daylight.

I think the original question for this post was more about distance and less about ethics however they are intertwined. And after reading all the comments I have to say my answer is, it varies. It varies so much depending on your set up and your personal abilities. From experience I wouldn’t choose anything under a 30cal (Airgun).

Reactions: mtnGhost

Humans need to stop screwing with things?

Look that is an entirely lazy or disconnected from reality thought process and conclusion.

Humans are required to try and manage wildlife because when we don't aninals are even more likely to go extinct as well as other species get out of control. Face it man has basically conquered almost all of the soil on the earth. Leaving everything just to be as it lays today will never work. If a species becomes highly endangered we shouldn't intervene according to that simpleton pretzel logic