ELR Coyote , How Far Would You Go ?

Humans need to stop screwing with things?

Look that is an entirely lazy or disconnected from reality thought process and conclusion.

Humans are required to try and manage wildlife because when we don't aninals are even more likely to go extinct as well as other species get out of control. Face it man has basically conquered almost all of the soil on the earth. Leaving everything just to be as it lays today will never work. If a species becomes highly endangered we shouldn't intervene according to that simpleton pretzel logic
Well I think we should look back at the very beginning were God himself made the world the plants and the animals and then he made man and gave man dominion over the animals. Gods words not mine so I think that solves it so if your personal ethics or abilities allow you to kill an animal at a certain distance than go for it.

Reactions: Rvaughn
90 yards is about the furthest that I would shoot one with my PCPs. There's about 7-8 of the bastards that scavenge around my neighbor's farm that butts up to my backyard, and I've been hearing them every night as they've moved in closer to the house. I've only seen one during the daylight hours, and he came in right after I had tossed a dead starling that I shot under a walnut tree at the edge of the property about 60y away. Saw the top of it's head poking above the goldenrod brush as he made a B-line for the tree right after I walked back to the house!!! It snatched the bird and disappeared before I could grab my rifle.

I have 2 rifles that have near identical (+/- 0.7") MPBRs setup that give me a 26-75y shot without holding over or under the vital kill zone. I only have to hold over a tad for 90y in these configurations.

My Maverick is setup exclusively for coyotes shooting hard lead 62gn slugs at 1045FPS. These are the "old style" Varmint Knockers that work well in my 600mm TJ. I have an EOTech on it with the EXPS3-4 ballistic reticle with the G33 magnifier. 90y is probably the furthest clean shot range that I can get on them in the yard from my patio, but I'm very comfortable taking a shot at that range with this setup day or night (I can mount my PVS-14 and ~88mW Luna ELIR-3 laser illuminator to it with QDs in a matter of seconds).

4D027ED4-EF6B-470A-B038-301579401C21.png

EFC52244-614E-4E27-B2F6-63C84F4E384E.jpeg

This ammo is devastating! Meplat diameter is small with a high speed ogive. Excellent penetration, and you hear a "POP" when it hits flesh as it creates a big wound channel. The soft lead expand a bit more, but I use the harder ones because they've worked better with how I lapped and chambered the TJ. The FX Hybrids also make some pretty big holes and shoot really well from this barrel, so I tune for those when I want a higher shot count.

My other PCP hunting rifle is my Texan LSS .457 (TX2) with 228gn WickedAir RBT (split point) at 990FPS. Haven't shot a coyote with it yet, but I can imagine that this ammo will invoke serious carnage!

B2FAE76E-3264-4904-9684-42B2B958E7A8.jpeg

WickedAir ammo is currently being sold exclusively through LethalAir, and they're making excellent ammo in .30 on up that shoots phenomenal.

3D43D042-F84A-4960-95FB-B77D313B7E94.jpeg
1CEBE323-4092-48DA-84D5-4942D77B5F2A.jpeg

I also keep my single shot Leshiy by the door for groundhogs and squirrels. It's setup right now with a 350mm .25 bbl / 190bar Huma reg tuned for JSB Heavy MKIIs at 895FPS. I wouldn't hesitate to take a head shot at a coyote with it inside 50y with that tune, but it would be pushing it any further than that.

Anyways, these yotes tend to hang out around a grove of trees and shrubs that gives me a not so great backdrop for shooting them with my 25-06. There's a few houses nust under a mile behind that side so I wouldn't chance it. I've been out in the backyard before and heard someone shooting a rifle from one of those houses, and I've heard their ricochets whizzing too close to home a couple times. Very inconsiderate and dangerous 🤬

90 yards is about the furthest that I would shoot one with my PCPs. There's about 7-8 of the bastards that scavenge around my neighbor's farm that butts up to my backyard, and I've been hearing them every night as they've moved in closer to the house. I've only seen one during the daylight hours, and he came in right after I had tossed a dead starling that I shot under a walnut tree at the edge of the property about 60y away. Saw the top of it's head poking above the goldenrod brush as he made a B-line for the tree right after I walked back to the house!!! It snatched the bird and disappeared before I could grab my rifle.

I have 2 rifles that have near identical (+/- 0.7") MPBRs setup that give me a 26-75y shot without holding over or under the vital kill zone. I only have to hold over a tad for 90y in these configurations.

My Maverick is setup exclusively for coyotes shooting hard lead 62gn slugs at 1045FPS. These are the "old style" Varmint Knockers that work well in my 600mm TJ. I have an EOTech on it with the EXPS3-4 ballistic reticle with the G33 magnifier. 90y is probably the furthest clean shot range that I can get on them in the yard from my patio, but I'm very comfortable taking a shot at that range with this setup day or night (I can mount my PVS-14 and ~88mW Luna ELIR-3 laser illuminator to it with QDs in a matter of seconds).

View attachment 410456

View attachment 410457

This ammo is devastating! Meplat diameter is small with a high speed ogive. Excellent penetration, and you hear a "POP" when it hits flesh as it creates a big wound channel. The soft lead expand a bit more, but I use the harder ones because they've worked better with how I lapped and chambered the TJ. The FX Hybrids also make some pretty big holes and shoot really well from this barrel, so I tune for those when I want a higher shot count.

My other PCP hunting rifle is my Texan LSS .457 (TX2) with 228gn WickedAir RBT (split point) at 990FPS. Haven't shot a coyote with it yet, but I can imagine that this ammo will invoke serious carnage!

View attachment 410466

WickedAir ammo is currently being sold exclusively through LethalAir, and they're making excellent ammo in .30 on up that shoots phenomenal.

View attachment 410467View attachment 410470

I also keep my single shot Leshiy by the door for groundhogs and squirrels. It's setup right now with a 350mm .25 bbl / 190bar Huma reg tuned for JSB Heavy MKIIs at 895FPS. I wouldn't hesitate to take a head shot at a coyote with it inside 50y with that tune, but it would be pushing it any further than that.

Anyways, these yotes tend to hang out around a grove of trees and shrubs that gives me a not so great backdrop for shooting them with my 25-06. There's a few houses nust under a mile behind that side so I wouldn't chance it. I've been out in the backyard before and heard someone shooting a rifle from one of those houses, and I've heard their ricochets whizzing too close to home a couple times. Very inconsiderate and dangerous 🤬
I am going to message Chad about what he thinks would work out of the wickedair lineup in my .357 slayer, those rounds look INTENSE. Also really bummed I cannot get strelok on my new S23, it sure would help.

Reactions: mtnGhost
I am going to message Chad about what he thinks would work out of the wickedair lineup in my .357 slayer, those rounds look INTENSE. Also really bummed I cannot get strelok on my new S23, it sure would help.
Try Chairgun Elite. Its pretty much 95% the same as Strelok Pro. Looks like the same person designed both.

Try Chairgun Elite. Its pretty much 95% the same as Strelok Pro. Looks like the same person designed both.
Man!!! you are a life saver!! holy smokes, I have been trying to get it for weeks, it kept not showing up, I think it just became available on newer samsung recently. Thank you! just downloaded!

• Love
Reactions: Centercut
I had the same problem as you not being able to get strelok with the Russian ban but if you go on the Amazon app store you can find it there

• Love
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
ELR Coyote , How Far Would You Go ?

Extreme Long Ranger Shooters I have a question for you about what you would consider the longest shot you could ethically take on a coyote ?
I am curious with follow up questions.
1. What Caliber ?
2. What Rifle ?
3. Heavily Modded ?
4. Max Distance ?
5. Ammo and BC ?
6. Curious on how accurately you feel you need to judge range , You need to be +1,-1 one yard ....

You guys do some fine long range shooting, I just kind of want to hear from the more discipline long range shooters of what could be possible.

Jaydog.
For me, there is no question of ethics/good/bad or otherwise when it comes to coyotes. Where I live coyotes are not native, they are invasive pests. I absolutely hate them with a passion and will never pass up a safe shot on one, if I have a safe backstop I will sling lead with whatever I have at hand. I don't care if I hit them badly, they will die, and probably be taken out by their pack members. I've killed them with everything from a cricket 25 cal at 125 yards trotting and I've let heavy magnum rifle's fly on running targets over 300 yards with a safe backstop and everything in between. With a safe backstop they never get a pass from me if I'm carrying anthing that goes bang and I'm in a safe area, mostly my own personal property.

Any hit on a coyote with anything is a good hit. Flame away.

Where I live coyotes are not native, they are invasive pests.
This sentence builds what is a very important point. The animals, whether they are mammals or reptiles, etc. that don't belong to ...don't know the correct English term. But not native and invasive pest says enough.
They upset the cycle of nature and can cause irreparable destruction.
I'm completely on the same page as you, even though there aren't any here at latitude. But we have our own problem animals here.

I'm not saying that they need to be tortured or something. Hit with lead or hit by a projectile of whatever it's made of and nature will do the rest.
Still, there are laws and regulations here that I myself have to follow. For example, regarding the fact that you may not hunt anything with an air gun. Funny how the need for power varies between different countries even though it's roughly the same animals. But it is what it is