Elevation Adjustment

Newbie question here-i am maxed out on my elevation adjustment on my scope. What options do i have other than holding over the center point on the reticle? I am leaning how to sight in my scope-the horizontal plane is lined up, but the gun shoots low

IMG_8029.jpeg

Newbie question here-i am maxed out on my elevation adjustment on my scope. What options do i have other than holding over the center point on the reticle? I am leaning how to sight in my scope-the horizontal plane is lined up, but the gun shoots low
You say you are a "newbie" so here are a couple of questions that may help you get better answers.

At what range did you zero?
Do you have a chronograph?
Do you have a ballistics program like MERO, Chairgun Pro or Strelok? MERO and Chairgun are free.

What 18.13 posted is good advice and the questions I asked will lead you to better understanding. I hope! (smile)

We all were "newbies" at some point!

All my best!

Kerry

Last edited:
super new, so i thought i could just zero 13yds - so i zeroed the horizontal plane but vertically maxed out so i shoot 7 dots (moa) above to be on target. I don’t have any other tools yet. I just have a bit of ocd so even though i can make the adjustment by aiming higher, i cant sleep at night knowing that its not on point -lol
Not quite sure what you mean by "zeroed the horizontal plane". And that may actually be my ignorance. (smile)

Until you know your fps (velocity-feet per second) for a given pellet, you will just be guessing. Although if you shoot enough, you can/will eventually find the best zero for a given gun and pellet. Having a chronograph, even the cheap one I suggested, will help you to determine, in conjunction with one of the free ballistics programs I mentioned, the best zero range/distance for your gun with a given pellet.

Then you have to learn that curve and know where your PBR is (point blank range-where you can simply hold on the cross-hairs and know that you will be within a given KZ (kill zone).

If you don't want to buy a chronograph, then all you can do (and this really is a good way to find out your gun/pellet capabilities) is to shoot at known distances, at defined targets and learn that way what your trajectory actually is. Truthfully, that is the only way to truly know where your next shot will go.

The ballistics programs do help, if you have input all of the data correctly. I do still recommend getting at least the cheap chrono I suggested. It will at least let you know if something changes in your muzzle velocity and save you some time and headaches.

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

I am not the most knowledgeable person here, by far! Hopefully those who can better explain and help will chime in soon! (smile)

Reactions: MysticalDragon
Do those Airforce rifles have dovetail rails?

If so, the adjustable rings mentioned so far would require a dovetail to picatinny adapter. At that point I'd probably just get a 20 MOA dovetail to picatinny adapter & use some non adjustable rings.

Hawke makes rings & mounts that come with 25 MOA inserts. I believe they at least have a one piece dovetail mount that works with these inserts. Not sure if they have dovetail rings. But that would probably be the least expensive option.

most airguns need a close-in zero to be ideal, and with a fairly high-mounted scope that will 'always' take a large adjustment on the elevation ... standard procedure for me with 'every' airgun i own is to shim the rear mount ..i dont even have to check your gun to know it needs it lol, it does .. cut a piece of credit card maybe 3/8" wide and place it in the bottom of the ring under the scope ... only issue is on some rings the screws may not be long enough to fully engage the threads ... if you need longer screws get them, dont risk stripping them .. theyre usually a 3 or 4mm standard pitch thread, caphead .. easy to get on ebay etc .. buy long and whack them off with a dremel to perfect length ..

Reactions: Massiemax