Elevation Adjustment Issue

Hello all, 

I am a newbie to the forum and to air rifles. i recently purchased this air rifle:

https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-CF7SXS-Break-Barrel-Rifle/dp/B07Z9Z59QW

I wanted to do target shooting and small game hunting. I mounted this 3-9x scope on it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UT3OFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have attempted to bore sight it several times and keep having the same issue. I can nail the windage on the boresight, but I do not have enough elevation adjustment to take the reticle far enough down. I run out of adjustment with the reticle still several inches above the laser. 

I took the scope off, leveled the gun in a vice, remounted the scope to a perfect level and still have the same issue. 

Does the community have any suggestions? 

Is it possible I need higher profile mounts?

Thanks!

Probably "barrel droop", not all that unusual with air guns. Adjustable mounts are available (which I recommend) such as Sportsmatch, FX, and others or you could shim the scope (I don't do this but many will). To shim, add a thickness of some material under the rear of the scope tube. Many recommend a piece of credit card or other thin plastic and even pieces of soda can cut to size. Don't overtighten the rings or scope damage may occur, shimming or not.

How far is the gun from the target? Most new guys don't comprehend that the bore and The scope are not parallel. The barrel is pointed up relative to the scope. At very short distance, the pellet has not had the time to climb up to the line of sight through the scope.

That gun will most likely be Apex zero around 20-25 yards from the barrel, and as much as 2 inches low at 5 yards.

How far is the gun from the target? Most new guys don't comprehend that the bore and The scope are not parallel. The barrel is pointed up relative to the scope. At very short distance, the pellet has not had the time to climb up to the line of sight through the scope.

That gun will most likely be Apex zero around 20-25 yards from the barrel, and as much as 2 inches low at 5 yards.

Good call. I never think along those lines because I always shoot to zero and 20 yards seems like a good distance to use as a minimum (dependent on power level and scope height).

This may help with pellet path.

HN FTT 14-66 BC-019 50 yard.1634220197.jpg

First, get rid of the bore sighter. While they may work to a certain degree in a break barrel, there's any number of reasons, the first being so much empty space between the muzzle and the end of the moderator of most rifles with them, it may well not even be getting close to the muzzle when you slide it in there.

You said you got close? Now set up some targets, start shooting and adjust as needed and not bank on that laser. Been there, done that and got a $30 bore sighter now sitting unused in my toolbox.

I basically have the same gun as you, a crosman F4 and I have a cheap hatsan 3-9 optic on it and it has no issues zeroing at 20-25yds. What range are you shooting at?

I would suggest getting a different optic something with a mildot reticle, that way you can get a proper zero at 25yds and when you are shooting 5-10-15yds you still have reference aiming points in the optic to use as a zero and when stretching out to farther distances you still have reference aiming points for 35-50yds etc.