Element optics vs Vortex

Hey good folks.

I have desided to my next opcomming airgun to get a good scope. Like anything else its a matter of purpose. I want to mount it on a Daystate RW Walnut HP .177cal and be able to see tiny things at +200 yards.
I really dislike all these "x-mas tree" reticles. A plain thin crosshair is fine by me. However it seems almost impossible these days to buy a hq scope without "x-mas tree".
I was thinking some like 5-25x50(or something close to this) and no more than USD $1500-2000. Then I was thinking a scope from Elements Optcs or Vortex ought to do the job. Both brands are in the better end and there might not be really any significant difference in regards to the generel quality but I don`t know?. Thats why I`ll ask the AN . 2nd focal plane is preffered.

JR.

In my vault, one will find Athlon, Vortex, Element, Hawke, and Sightron scopes. For really long yardage work, I prefer the Sightron SIII series scopes or the Hawke scopes featuring ED glass. The Athlon, Vortex and Element scopes work great for me out to 100 yards (and even beyond) and all have excellent warranty service. The most common scope found in my collection is the Hawke 6-24x56 Sidewinder series, absolutely terrific scopes for the money and damn near bullet proof, backed up by fabulous service and warranties.

We are fortunate to have so many good options to choose from now at reasonable prices. It is pretty hard to go wrong once you get north of the $700 price tag. Just be certain to get a scope that allows the parallax to be dialed in to 10 or 15 yards, even if your intent is to shoot at only longer ranges. This is typically pretty importance for an air rifle.

Good luck!

I'd look into used higher end Swarovski or Ziess scopes but they won't focus close. Exquisite glass though and great build quality.

FYI those hashes in the reticle are there for a reason. I suggest looking into very simple reticles with hashes.

Best I've personally found for the money for a target scope is the Athlon Ares ETR 15-60x56. Wow its nice!

I'd look into used higher end Swarovski or Ziess scopes but they won't focus close. Exquisite glass though and great build quality.

FYI those hashes in the reticle are there for a reason. I suggest looking into very simple reticles with hashes.

Best I've personally found for the money for a target scope is the Athlon Ares ETR 15-60x56. Wow its nice!

A Swaro has crossed my mind. a Z3 or Z5 might be the way to go.

Reactions: steve123
In that price range I wouldnt buy either an Element or a Vortex these days. 10 Years ago, a Vortex or the like would have been a great option but there are a lot of good choices now. I dont want to discourage you from buying as nice a scope as you can afford, but Arken has a "plain" thin reticle option now in a couple of their models. I wont pretend that the image quality will be on par with a Khales or USO etc, but the turret assembly is fantastic.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
In addition to some of the helpful advice given here, certain March scopes have high magnification ranges, good to very good (and even great) glass, and many are second focal plane, which is your stated preference. You can find one used in excellent condition somewhat frequently and thus come near the upper end of your budget ($1,700–$2,500 or so). The controls and build quality are generally superior to some of the models mentioned in this post. Steve123 or someone else may have more specific advice on a given model. I can say more and give an opinion, but it is better to hear from those with more first-hand knowledge, as my experience is limited to the 4.5-28x52 High Master. S7

In my vault, one will find Athlon, Vortex, Element, Hawke, and Sightron scopes. For really long yardage work, I prefer the Sightron SIII series scopes or the Hawke scopes featuring ED glass. The Athlon, Vortex and Element scopes work great for me out to 100 yards (and even beyond) and all have excellent warranty service. The most common scope found in my collection is the Hawke 6-24x56 Sidewinder series, absolutely terrific scopes for the money and damn near bullet proof, backed up by fabulous service and warranties.

We are fortunate to have so many good options to choose from now at reasonable prices. It is pretty hard to go wrong once you get north of the $700 price tag. Just be certain to get a scope that allows the parallax to be dialed in to 10 or 15 yards, even if your intent is to shoot at only longer ranges. This is typically pretty importance for an air rifle.

Good luck!
X2 on the Sightron super clear glass

Reactions: Joedirt199

I agree with Steve IF you are only shooting Benchrest. If you plan to shoot EFT or NRL-22 or X, I’d recommend the Athlon Cronus or a slight step down to the Athlon Ares ETR. Both are very good.

Before you make a decision, do yourself a favor and go over the Tract optics webpage, and peruse their lineup. Just one I looked this one today, might be up your alley.

They have others with higher magnification, with their T Plex reticle

Before you make a decision, do yourself a favor and go over the Tract optics webpage, and peruse their lineup. Just one I looked this one today, might be up your alley.

They have others with higher magnification, with their T Plex reticle
Mr.H,
I am peeking at the Tract options because of your post. The Toric 2.5-15x44 FFP with the illuminated Mil reticle has a good deal of what I am looking for, including length and weight, focusing down to 10 yards, and price. Additionally, the website says it has Schott glass, is made in Japan, and the warranty looks very good from here.
I have heard about Tract but never really took this company seriously. Would you hazard a guess as to why Tract is not spoken of more? For every time I have heard Tract mentioned, I have heard other companies talked about multiplied dozens of times. Thanks. S7

Edit: And to keep the OP's concerns in mind better, there are higher magnifications available, at least 25x, according to my cursory look.

Last edited: