Element Helix SFP or FFP

If you want to be able to use the lowest magnification I would get the SFP. I have not used an Element Helix but I know the reticle on my Arken EPL4 6-24 is very difficult to see at 6X, it's minimum. Unless the Helix has a much thicker reticle I suspect you will have the same issue. SFP, like my Vector Veyron 6-24 is equally visible at 6X as it is at 24X.

SFP is also simpler since the reticle does not move so sometimes they are less expensive. The disadvantage is the effect of the marks on the reticle varies with the magnification. On the ocular flip up cover on my Athlon Talos 6-24 SFP I have the hold over at both 6X (my normal pesting magnification) and 16X (might use it for HFT some day which is limited to 16X) marked. I would not need both these references if it was a FFP.

If you want to be able to use the lowest magnification I would get the SFP. I have not used an Element Helix but I know the reticle on my Arken EPL4 6-24 is very difficult to see at 6X, it's minimum. Unless the Helix has a much thicker reticle I suspect you will have the same issue. SFP, like my Vector Veyron 6-24 is equally visible at 6X as it is at 24X.

SFP is also simpler since the reticle does not move so sometimes they are less expensive. The disadvantage is the effect of the marks on the reticle varies with the magnification. On the ocular flip up cover on my Athlon Talos 6-24 SFP I have the hold over at both 6X (my normal pesting magnification) and 16X (might use it for HFT some day which is limited to 16X) marked. I would not need both these references if it was a FFP.
I don't see myself using it at low magnification very often. I like to shoot ground squirrels at range. Thank you for the info.

opinions are split,,, you will figure it out for yourself, as for me I first had to have FFP because everyone thought it was the cats meow, but in time , with my aging eye sight the reticle became useless at low power settings, I have gone mostly to SFP but I did buy an Arkin FFP EPL-4,,, 4-16x44, I keep it on 12 to 14 zoom power
just pesting and plinking around my property, sfp is my choice
I also have a Element Nexus 5-20x50 ffp, but I do not use the lower range,,, I normally use 12 to 14 magnification range shooting out to 35 yds pesting
it is a personal choice,,, only you are the judge,,, have fun
weight and length is another thing to think about and at what distance you are reaching out to, higher magnification requires a more steady rest

opinions are split,,, you will figure it out for yourself, as for me I first had to have FFP because everyone thought it was the cats meow, but in time , with my aging eye sight the reticle became useless at low power settings, I have gone mostly to SFP but I did buy an Arkin FFP EPL-4,,, 4-16x44, I keep it on 12 to 14 zoom power
just pesting and plinking around my property, sfp is my choice
I also have a Element Nexus 5-20x50 ffp, but I do not use the lower range,,, I normally use 12 to 14 magnification range shooting out to 35 yds pesting
it is a personal choice,,, only you are the judge,,, have fun
weight and length is another thing to think about and at what distance you are reaching out to, higher magnification requires a more steady rest
Thanks boss. I think I'm leaning more towards FFP. Seems to fit best for my use. I think I should be good with eye sight, being 28.

Reactions: jarmstrong