Element Helix Question

I own an Element Helix 6-24x50 SFP scope. I’m wondering if it’s normal for the magnification ring to have some movement/play back and forth (in-line withe scope)? Mine does and I don’t notice this on other scopes that I own. Also, when I turn the magnification ring it sounds like sand is being grinded. I haven’t even had this scope outside yet, been sitting in my basement since unboxing.

I checked mine and if I pull the power ring toward the front I can get a .003 feeler gauge in behind the ring but not a .006 I can hear it when I turn it but I would not describe it a sounding like sand. I would think that play is designed into it any closer and it might get harder to turn. BTW the turrets track perfectly at least out to 90 yards. 

I own an Element Helix 6-24x50 SFP scope. I’m wondering if it’s normal for the magnification ring to have some movement/play back and forth (in-line withe scope)? Mine does and I don’t notice this on other scopes that I own. Also, when I turn the magnification ring it sounds like sand is being grinded. I haven’t even had this scope outside yet, been sitting in my basement since unboxing.

I think I may be having a similar issue with mine. If I zoom in down to 10 yards then try to focus on an object at a farther distance (like 25 yards) I turn it to almost the 100 yards point (or more) for it to focus. If I keep go to infinity then back down to focus at the same yardage, it focuses near when it should be. I thought it was just me and my bad eyes, but I do seem to feel like there is some internal play.

On side note, I picked up a used Helix and mounted it last night, and I don't have the same issues. I'll fiddle with the scope (the new one) a little more, it's brand new and maybe needs to break in.

Had my scope out last weekend to shoot prairie dogs. The scope was basically unusable past 20x magnification. The optics past 20x became very foggy, almost like someone dunked my scope in milk. Eye box is horribly tight. I also noticed the parallax is off quite a bit and turrets are mushy. I’m going to send it back to Element. Pretty disappointed.

Reactions: rsfrid
Had my scope out last weekend to shoot prairie dogs. The scope was basically unusable past 20x magnification. The optics past 20x became very foggy, almost like someone dunked my scope in milk. Eye box is horribly tight. I also noticed the parallax is off quite a bit and turrets are mushy. I’m going to send it back to Element. Pretty disappointed.

Yes at 24x the eye box is very very tight. Without a correctly setup cheek riser it’s very hard to get the correct eye alignment. Personally I like the tight eye box because it ensures virtually no parallax error at 24x, it’s great for precision shooting.