• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Element FFP vs Vortex Optics FFP Scope

Gonna upgrade my scope on my FX Maverick 500mm .22 and .30 I have both barrel kits.

Going between the Element and the Vortex. Right now the Vortex is winning cheaper and I have a few others and they have been great.

The Element looks kool and I know the airgun world pushes them but I don't see them worth the cost.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/element-optics-helix-6-24x50-ffp-apr-2d-moa-reticle-30mm-tube?a=9856

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Diamondback-Tactical-FFP-4-16x44/dp/B07G8LS5N3/

I am going to be replacing my Hawke Scope on my .30 Uragan soon also. Not sure what I'm going with for it.

i dunno .. after researching for a scope for my latest build im going to try a westhunter, its got good reveiws from alot of airgunners that seem to put it solid in the 'mid' category as equal to them at least with alot of features for the money ... if i was gonna spend more, i want something real special like thermal capability lol ...

I have a westhunter on the FX Maverick now going to replace it with something else.

I would like to stay with a 4-16x44 for the FX Maverick. Don't really want a big scope on it.

and the Element Scopes are way over priced.

Ken,

as AGN has a wild bunch of enablers, here's my contribution to enabling your scope purchase:

A Scopes Specs Table, for 4-16x and 3-18x and 4-20x scopes.

🔸 Requirements to make it onto this Table:

● 10y min. side parallax

● Holdoff reticles (no BDC's or plain crosshairs)

● $300 to $500, some a bit higher

● Exposed turrets

🔸 Specs in the Table:

● Warranty info

● Reticle type and turret type

● Price: mfctr's price and street price

● Elevation adjustment range

● Length and weight

● IR or not

Happy scope shopping! 😄

Matthias

❌ Attachment:

Scope Specs Table 4-16x / 3-18x / 4-20x

download.png
View attachment SCOPE Specs Table. For 4-16x or 3-18x or 4-20x Scopes.1641255384.pdf

I own several of both. I have had warranty claims with both and had new scopes in days with no hassle.

I think like the reticle better in the Element Helix but frankly, and their is more click adjustment on the turrets, but one can still find deals in the Diamondbacks for about $100 less in the 6-24x50s., I use all of these on tuned springers. I use Hawke Sidewinder FFPs on my pcp rifles.

Gonna upgrade my scope on my FX Maverick 500mm .22 and .30 I have both barrel kits.

Going between the Element and the Vortex. Right now the Vortex is winning cheaper and I have a few others and they have been great.

The Element looks kool and I know the airgun world pushes them but I don't see them worth the cost.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/element-optics-helix-6-24x50-ffp-apr-2d-moa-reticle-30mm-tube?a=9856

I am going to be replacing my Hawke Scope on my .30 Uragan soon also. Not sure what I'm going with for it.

i also was looking at the 4-16x vortex. but the only con on that scope is the parallax only focuses down to 25 yds. so i went with the 6-24. diamondback tactical. it focuses down to 10 yds. even though i never move my power off of 12x i often need to focus closer than 25 yds..

Ken,

as AGN has a wild bunch of enablers, here's my contribution to enabling your scope purchase:

A Scopes Specs Table, for 4-16x and 3-18x and 4-20x scopes.

🔸 Requirements to make it onto this Table:

● 10y min. side parallax

● Holdoff reticles (no BDC's or plain crosshairs)

● $300 to $500, some a bit higher

● Exposed turrets

🔸 Specs in the Table:

● Warranty info

● Reticle type and turret type

● Price: mfctr's price and street price

● Elevation adjustment range

● Length and weight

● IR or not

Happy scope shopping! 😄

Matthias

❌ Attachment:

Scope Specs Table 4-16x / 3-18x / 4-20x

download.png
download.png
View attachment SCOPE Specs Table. For 4-16x or 3-18x or 4-20x Scopes.1641255384.pdf

Great Info Thanks :)

i also was looking at the 4-16x vortex. but the only con on that scope is the parallax only focuses down to 25 yds. so i went with the 6-24. diamondback tactical. it focuses down to 10 yds. even though i never move my power off of 12x i often need to focus closer than 25 yds..

That's a good point. I have not looked into that. 

I just received my Element Helix FFP 6-24 yesterday to replace the Strike Eagle I've been using in my FX M3. Got it mounted and zeroed to 25 yds. One hole groups and only took 3 shots to get it dead center on the target dots.

What I see so far is the eye relief and eye box is hands down way better. Parallax adjustment is awesome. Turrets and much better and good crisp clicks that I can hear and feel.

Glass is comparable to the Vortex Razor and much better at the edges than the Strike Eagle.

After I shoot with it a few hundred times and play with range adjustments I will know more but for now it seems to be a big step up in quality and function.

I also had one of the Arken SH4 scopes that I am sending back. That one was a real piece of junk and the parallax adjustment could never focus to keep the reticle from moving no matter the distance. Totally unusable scope. 

Im a great fan of Athlon and nobody beats the warranty .
I have a few Vortex scopes and none are FFP so I can't comment on that aspect. But they have a lifetime no questions asked warranty on their scopes, solid turrent clicks 1/8 MOA or Mil. on mine, good reticles and clear glass. I overnighted the scope rings on a 1800.00 Vortex Golden Eagle and damaged the tube...sent it in and it was replaced...with a note telling me It was overtightened..Never looked thru a Athlon.

One of the main things I look at is focus distance. Powder burner mkt scopes don’t usually focus as close as airgun intended scopes. I use Athlon’s, Elements and Aztec Emerald. If I had to start over, but knowing what I’ve experienced with the brands I’ve owned, I would buy Aztec Emeralds for everything I own. BUT, I really do like me Element Helix and Titan, rock solid scopes from the drawing board on up.
Randy

Reactions: oOmpH
I have had a plethora of scopes over the last few years. I have to say element helix 4-16 isn’t the best scope of the bunch, but I seem to always buy them and put them on my PCPs because they just work well. Wait for camera land to put them for sale for about $400 every few months or so and grab a great deal. It is better than the Vortex Diamondback IMHO. Also to be honest you can’t go wrong with Arken for the price either. Two sales a year I have noticed for 30% off. Get very nice scopes for under $300. So good it’s Almost a crime. Lol.

Last edited:
The helix was a decent scope dialed precise turrets were ok glass was usable. But for 6-24 magnification the Athlon Helos BTR GEN 2 is a step above both the scopes you mentioned and I've owned them both. The diamondback is just lacking in every way. The turrets are marshmallows the glass is ok but all in all it's just not what I expect out of vortex. For just a touch more to be able to grab the Helos BTR GEN 2 there's no question of which performance is better. When you unlock and twist those turrets for the first time it's so positive and tactile it's almost unbelievable what you've acquired for the cost. So for what it's worth Athlon Helos BTR GEN 2 is worth a look