Electronic wind flags

Has anyone had any experience with the Calypso Instruments Ultrasonic Portable Mini Wind Speed and Direction Anemometer?

Screenshot_20230512_204929_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Reactions: Centercut
It’s too slow to do you any good in a br match.

I know that's true of the great majority of the "weather stations" sold. However the literature advertises that this one calculates the wind at upto 30 times per second. It also transmits continuously via Bluetooth which should make it virtually a real-time readout.

They do have a 1 to 2 second delay, so you need to pair one of those with a wind flag for real time feedback. It was beneficial the first two days when the wind wasn’t switching every second or two. The 100Y finals I stopped using it because the wind at our backs was going left right left almost every second or two.

It was one of the reasons I shot a perfect score at the long range because we needed general wind speed and direction for the shots from 120 to 240 yards. Probably would not have went 250/250 without it. Wind flags were not allowed to be set out in front of the benches so we set up the ultrasonic in back of the benches on a 12 foot tripod. Scott Hull @Scotchmo also used one in 100Y BR and Long Range.

I like mine. Especially good for ELR (200+yds).

It has a couple of issues related to security. There is none. And it has no off switch. It can be hijacked by someone else, and once that happens, you’ll need to move it out of range of that link if you want to restore your link. Also, Strelok can use it except if there is more than one unit within range, it might link to the wrong one. There is no way in Strelok to tell it which one to link to. At the Oregon match, my Strelok linked to Mike’s meter instead of mine. Mike’s was in his case so I was puzzled when Strelok showed 0 mph for wind. By the second target, I realized what was up and had Mike move his meter to his car so I could link to mine. These are software/firmware issues. I made the manufacturer aware of the problems. So far, neither Calypso or Strelok has fixed the issues.

If you’re using it at the range by yourself, it’s great. At a match where others might also have them, not so great.

Last edited:
And it has no off switch.

Thanks for that info. I actually emailed Calypso Instruments asking them that very question. My biggest concern was that it was perpetually on until the battery runs down (21 hours of run time I believe). This means that I'll have to charge it every time, just before a match and keep it in an ammo box to prevent it from being hijacked. Hope they fix that.

I was eyeing that calipso and I was really undecided before the purchase, but I could not imagine without rotating it how it can sense the wind direction.
So I ended up getting the Weather Meter (brown for shooting sports), mounted it on top of my "wind arrow pointer", it has a integrated compass, and the Strelok Pro is showing me the graphical POA to POI efected by wind direction and speed.
For my 100 meters BR training I am placing it about 1/3 down the range, pretty much the range of a BLE. I have two of these having in my mind that I will eventually figure out how to extend the wifi range for at least 50 meters but for now the second unit is just resting in the drawer.

Reactions: Centercut
Like I said, and Scott said, it’s more beneficial for ELR events where overall wind speed and direction are critical.
For 100Y BR where you’re looking for shot to shot precision, I think wind flags are better.

We used the Calypso at Oregon Long Range Challenge, where it was a help in me winning $1500, so it definitively paid for itself. Scott and I also used it at the RMAC Big Bore event that Scott won, and earned $2,000. Two tournaments, two times used, two wins, $3500. Not bad…. 😎

Last edited: