• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Electronic Coyote Target

I had my Beeman R1 .20 Laser MKIII out in the backyard today shooting my electronic coyote target. I think I may need to invest in a much more quite gun as the sound may be too much for the neighbors now that we have moved back into town.

The coyote has a 1” head shot hole and a 1 1/2” body shot hole. I only have approximately 35 yards in the backyard so it is not very challenging for the body shot.
1593984836_531324005f024744078494.29150368.jpeg
1593984858_15628833835f02475a5d9838.03734795.jpeg

I built the coyote target about 12 years ago along with several other ones. At that time we had a small local field target group. We got tired of having to set up 10-12 lanes for the knock down targets. With having to weed whack all the lanes to make sure the reset strings would not get hung up, make sure the knock down targets are level, it became obvious to me there must be a different way of doing it. I designed a self contained electronic target that operates on four aa batteries. When a clean shot strikes either pad behind the kill shot hole a delay circuit is activated and turns on yellow high intensity led lights for the head kill zone and red led lights for the body kill zone. The led lights stay on for approximately two seconds and then go off and the delay circuit resets. No reset strings or leveling required, just walk them out to the distance you want, set the target down pointed in the correct direction and it is ready.

That's a pretty stock for sure and very creative on the target too!

Thanks Ron, it is a very fun gun to shoot and the target makes it quick and easy to setup and take down. The original electronic target I made was a river rat and it has literally hundreds and hundreds of rounds on it and has the original aa batteries still in it.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2885

I have used the raspberry pi zero and the full size version both have WiFi and Bluetooth 

python is my programming preference but you can use others it is a simple matter of telling the unit what pins to listen to and or to send signals to, what is really neat is it runs on 5 volts cellphone chargers and the zero can fit in the palm of your hand

darn powerful little critter for $5.00 bucks 

If it requires “Geek Skills” that will definitely leave me out. lol. I want to keep these targets as simple as possible when it comes to electronics, the current circuit has proven to be ultra reliable and the batteries seem to last well beyond what you would ever expect. I just pulled the batteries out of the coyote target, which was still operating as normal, and the “ Good Until” date on the batteries was 2008. The electronic circuit definitely does not have any unwanted bleed-off. I am currently building four more targets, squirrel, gopher, bird and rabbit. The will be more for very precision shooting or closer range shooting as the head shot kill hole will be around 3/8” and the body shot kill hole around 3/4”. My thoughts are these could be used in peoples indoor shooting ranges.