• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Electric BB gun

Just came across the Barea 400 E looks pretty cool I have been looking for a HPA BB gun or a Co2 gun I can convert to a HPA , But the 400 E popped up and at about 410 FPS and electric power seems pretty good. May have to give one a try and just keep a battery on the charger and at 400 bucks seems a little steep but what the hell I am waiting on a 2000 dollars RTI eastern gun that's crazy.

Mike

Barra 400E - Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

Use discount code 'FIRSTORDER' to save 10%. Code works 1x per email address used for ordering.

The only fairly thorough review I've seen on the gun is by the Airgun Detectives guy, and it seems like it could be fun. Good accuracy for this type of gun (BB) seems to be a theme in the information available on the 400E so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FxKbQ_j4aI

Hard Air Magazine has also gotten one, and is apparently in the midst of a full review on it. Their initial and seemingly positive thoughts are here:

https://hardairmagazine.com/news/ham-exclusive-the-first-aeg-bb-gun-its-the-barra-400e/

Barra 400E - Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

Use discount code 'FIRSTORDER' to save 10%. Code works 1x per email address used for ordering.

The only fairly thorough review I've seen on the gun is by the Airgun Detectives guy, and it seems like it could be fun. Good accuracy for this type of gun (BB) seems to be a theme in the information available on the 400E so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FxKbQ_j4aI

Hard Air Magazine has also gotten one, and is apparently in the midst of a full review on it. Their initial and seemingly positive thoughts are here:

https://hardairmagazine.com/news/ham-exclusive-the-first-aeg-bb-gun-its-the-barra-400e/

Hello TMH,

Hope you will do a review here on the Forum of your gun after you have had some time shooting it. I did watch Airgun Detective video and it looked good.

Be safe and have a great day,

ThomasT

Yes, I can do a little write-up with some pics.

I also purchased (since I had the discount code) one of their 1100z PCP guns in .22 cal. I will write up that gun too, as a little continuation of my thread from some time back on reasonably priced PCP rifles (where I had reported my thoughts on the AV Avenger and the Benjamin Cayden). I think that the 1100z has a good chance of being a knock-around or truck gun (although a little long for a normal truck gun), or I'll leave up in the clubhouse at the big range ("In case of ground squirrels break glass and dispense lead" ;) ). With a WestHunter scope I have on order, it may well be a pretty good, inexpensive package.

Barra_1100z.1654531659.jpg

Good that you got a smart charger. So many of the little, cheap, 'balance chargers' (especially the USB powered ones) really do a poor job of properly charging a LiPO battery, and will end up ruining it after a short time (or even worse - causing a fire). Fortunately I have some good chargers from my RC hobbies, but I did pick up another couple of batteries. Especially since you are 'only' supposed to get 1,000 shots per charge! ;)

I'm going to use my 400E (at least initially) as intended, and not attempt to modify or hop up. I think that it was already a pretty big step for Barra to make an AEG system capable of shooting anything heavier than airsoft ammo.

As a person also suffering from a degree of the RC bug, i have plenty of chargers for the mostly lipo batteries, actually my oven are full of lipo batteries so it is my lipo safe so to say :) 2 s TO 5 S is my cell range on the RC batteries, with 3 S being the most popular.

It get even worse with the round batteries chargers, as i also have a case of flasaholisem, so also need to be able to get my flashlights up to "speed"

But these chargers will not charge batteries for any form of RC stuff i know off,,,,, well aside for the transmitter batteries and they are usually old school rechargeable batteries and not lipo.

It is only a month since i last got a charger,,,, mind you not cuz one i already had died :)

If you guys order one of these Barra electric guns they do not come with charger or a battery, You have to order that , And i screwed up and ordered a charger Tenergy N-MH 9.6 V 1600 MAH I am kind of new to this stuff so I turned around and ordered a battery and charger from BARRA, A Lipo battery and charger,,

Gun should be here tomorrow not sure I will be able to test it with the NI_MH battery pack...

Now back to looking at all the different kinds of BBs , wow 60 years ago we just had BBs , Thangs have changed,,

Mike

So my 400E has arrived and I have had the chance to shoot it a couple of times now.

I will have to say that I'll have to temper my expectations a bit - it is only a BB gun after all.

I've tried a couple of scopes/red dots on it, but so far the little 4x32 I had in the shed works best. I will have to say that everything I've topped it with has shot low & left (30 feet distance) so I'm wondering whether the top Pic rail is true. Every optic has run out of elevation adjustment and I've had to shim up the rear end.

I do have other full auto BB guns (CO2), and I actually enjoy the sound they make better than the 400E (albeit they do have the issue of decreasing muzzle velocity as the CO2 gets cold during full auto use). And it is nice not to have to worry about constantly changing out CO2 cartridges. But not having any experience with full auto airsoft guns, the sound of the AEG auto action of the 400E is a little obnoxious.

The speed loader which comes with the 400E seems really fiddly to me, even more so than other BB speed loaders I have used. It takes some practice and development of technique, but in the end it starts to work O.K. I still don't think I've ever gotten the magazine full. But both the mag and the speed loader seem to be improving with more use. Everything is real tight when brand new.

Feeding and firing has been flawless in my short use of the gun so far.

The gun seems well built and is definitely heavy - seems even heavier than a real AR15, but I haven't put both onto a scale.

In the end the 400E is a cute novelty, albeit on the pricey side. Would I buy again? I haven't really found any real use for the gun yet. It definitely is a toy as compared to PCP air rifles, but a cool toy. So unless you already have a need/use for a BB gun, I wouldn't buy again. Not that the gun doesn't seem to do all they say it will do, but in the end it is just a BB gun. With the sound of the action which really isn't enjoyable to me. To me a CO2 powered full auto would give me all the full auto BB play time I would need at a lower price. But I can't fault the 400E for that - that is more down to my BB shooting 'needs.'

IMG_2689.JPG

Reactions: ThomasT
Some local pellet gun shooting buddies came over today for our weekly shoot. I don't know how we got on the subject but one guy says that a full auto airsoft or BB gun - Who the heck could possibly want one of those?

So I slyly go into the house and bring out the 400E, and do a full mag dump from my shooting bench to a cardboard target with paintballs glued onto it. Probably had about a 8-12" drop at 25 yards compared to the 30 feet where it had been zeroed.

Well, 3 faces lit up when they saw this thing in action, and they all got a chance to take a couple of shots in semi-auto, followed by a full mag dump.

After that there was no more questioning as to who would ever want a full auto BB gun. Oh, and none of them thought the sound of the AEG action was obnoxious like I had originally reported above.

Sounds good, I got a battery and Charger ordered from Barra , Also got two battery's and a charger ordered off amazon so maybe I will be able to test it soon,,
So are you saying its accurate at 30 yards? I know how BBs fly, I am still kind of pissed when I read up on the gun from Barra NO where did it say the gun was shipped with out any battery or charger, I bought the P 90 for my grandson just a month ago and it came with a battery and charger, Oh, I also bought a BB speed loader as the one I got from Barra broke the 1st time I tried to use it, Looks like the little plunger shaft that pushes the BBs down broke. Warranty maybe?

I can't say what you saw Mike, but in going through the 400E's info on the Barra site, I did see where they said that it didn't come with the battery. Or maybe on a video review? So I looked at batteries on Amazon before I bought the gun, and found that one off the Barra site (when using the discount code) was the same price or a little cheaper. So I ordered gun & battery, and the next thing I know I have an email from Barra saying "Note that this does not come with a charger and there is only gun and battery on your order - are you OK with that?"

"Accurate at 30 yards"? No, I haven't really tested accuracy at all. But after the performance at 30 feet (running out of up elevation adjustments in all the optics I tried, then having to shim to get more elevation), I was just surprised that the BBs were even making it the entire 25 yard distance to the target board, and 'only' dropping another 8-12". I didn't know if it would even have the power to reach. But it does reach. No promises beyond that!

I can understand how you may have broken the supplied speed loader. It seems to me that it works best after some use, and when you get only maybe 5 BBs under the plunger, and no more. There are also times where a BB seems to kind of lock the plunger, regardless of how many others are beneath it, and you need to shake everything out and start again. I don't know whether this tool is something Barra developed, or whether they bought it off the shelf. It is not great, but mine is at least adequately working for now. With developed technique by the user (me).

My understanding from reading around on the net is that Barra seems to be a company which stands behind its products. Sure wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email or call them about your broken speed loader. If nothing else it might be another data point for them as to what is working, and what isn't on their newly launched gun.

BTW - I would go to the Barra site and register your gun for warranty. Although not a legal requirement to do that in some states to have warranty coverage, it is something which Barra stresses on their site that they want you to do, and it is a quick and painless process.

Last edited:
Got my battery's and charger and BB speed loader in from amazon , Two hours to charge one of the battery's, It took me 30 minutes to load the magazine with 50 BBs.
The speed loader jams up and you have to shake it to get it un jamed , Load a few BBs and it jams again, I will try the Zink coated BBs they recommend, Ended up loading the BBs one at a time in the magazine, My sights were dead on I rolled a coke can at 25 yards just one shot after another, I also could hear the BBs bounce off the ground and hit a steel fence 50 yards away, If I could just open the magazine and pour 50 BBs in this thing would be a 10 plus, But the way its designed it really SUCKS, I will keep playing with it and see if its me or the design of loading is the screw up.
I see a phone number in the Barra book, I am going to call,
Mike

Practicing, My point and shoot with this thing, Fun to shoot and super cheap , I been setting up a few coke cans at 20 25 yards and just bring the gun up and point and shoot no sights , Loading is still a pain in the AS,S, It makes the gun really hard to shoot, I bought a pair of adult red rider BB guns for me and my wife , I shot mine once wife gun has never been shot, I need to compare the Red rider to the Barra just for kicks.
Mike

Got my battery's and charger and BB speed loader in from amazon , Two hours to charge one of the battery's, It took me 30 minutes to load the magazine with 50 BBs.
The speed loader jams up and you have to shake it to get it un jamed , Load a few BBs and it jams again, I will try the Zink coated BBs they recommend, Ended up loading the BBs one at a time in the magazine, My sights were dead on I rolled a coke can at 25 yards just one shot after another, I also could hear the BBs bounce off the ground and hit a steel fence 50 yards away, If I could just open the magazine and pour 50 BBs in this thing would be a 10 plus, But the way its designed it really SUCKS, I will keep playing with it and see if its me or the design of loading is the screw up.
I see a phone number in the Barra book, I am going to call,
Mike
I have the same or similar speed loader on my Crossman SBR. I lightly sprayed silicon inside the speed loader and it made a big difference cycling the BBs through it.