• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

EFT zero question

I'm thinking about how I'm going to set up a .30 for EFT. Normally I would set a 50 yard zero and live with holding or clicking under for the 20 to 45 yard targets.

However, looking at it in Strelok, I'm looking at a 5 mrad drop. I got to thinking, why not zero at 100 yards, then I only have to click one direction. The problem is that I only have 4 mils over the center on my reticle, so I would be required to click rather than hold under. The other problem is that I wouldn't be able to use a zero stop, but since I would never have to click a full revolution this wouldn't be a big deal.

I mean, I would still actually zero the gun at 50 yards because that's more precise, I would just be setting the scope at 4.2 clicks down rather than zero clicks.

Or I could zero at 20 yards and only click up. That actually sounds better, would be less confusing for me.

This all sounds weird to me because I'm used to the trajectory curve you get with regular field target. But since the trajectory curve for EFT isn't a curve (it's a ramp), I'm trying to break out of my old ways of thinking.

Anyway, what are your zero strategies for EFT?

PS: EFT. EFT. EFT. Not FT, not HFT, not hunting, not benchrest. EFT. I'm sure I would be very interested to know your set up for Hunter class field target, I just don't want to see it in this particular thread. Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just begging you to please keep any replies on topic for EFT.

Reactions: drsquall
I click for EFT, so it doesn't really matter what your zero is. Mine is usually 50 yards, but I could just as easily set my turret to whatever the top of the arc is and use that (30 to 35 yards normally). I actually zero the gun at 50 yards, then check 25, 75 and 100 yards to make sure the dope is correct. The vast majority of the time Strelok Pro is dead on at all yardages, as long as your scope height, pellet speed and BC are all correct. BC just needs to be close, since we're only shooting to 100 yards in EFT, so 0.054 GA, or 0.052 get you the same results for example. PS., the "trajectory curve" for EFT is the same as regular FT, no difference...

This is what I've found works best for me.
You must have a ballistic calculator.
You must know the true BC of your gun/pellet.
Strelok should work. I use the older version of Chairgun.
I determine what the BC is for my gun/pellet. I don't use the published value as BC is highly depended on true FPS. I do this by chrony'ing at the muzzle and a distance beyond the muzzle. (say, 50 yards but you can use closer if you need to. The further away from the muzzle you are for your second FPS measurement the more accurate your BC will be.)
Whatever distance you choose, start by making it your POA.
Shoot a few times over the chrony at the muzzle and take an average. Shoot a few times over the chrony at you selected down range distance and take the average. BTW, I've found using a target holder with an aim point a few inches above the chrony makes this a lot easier.
Enter the required data your ballistic calculator (scope height, pellet weight, etc,.) requires to calculate the true BC.
Then I select .0001" as my KZ size. This may be only available using the Chairgun app.? In using the .0001" puts the zenith at the very top of the arc before the pellet begins to drop. This will give you the flattest trajectory possible, thus fewer clicks.
According to the app, my total range of clicks from 20 to 100 yards is only 32. 20 yards is only six. at 100 yards it's 32. My zero yardage is 28-42 yards. You should not have any down clicks only up.
Now know, my click info will only be accurate for my set up unless yours is identical.
If you would like, I would be happy to help you with a click chart for your set up. PM me if you like and I can have one made up in a matter of minutes once I have all your data.

This is what I've found works best for me.
You must have a ballistic calculator.
You must know the true BC of your gun/pellet.
Strelok should work. I use the older version of Chairgun.
I determine what the BC is for my gun/pellet. I don't use the published value as BC is highly depended on true FPS. I do this by chrony'ing at the muzzle and a distance beyond the muzzle. (say, 50 yards but you can use closer if you need to. The further away from the muzzle you are for your second FPS measurement the more accurate your BC will be.)
Whatever distance you choose, start by making it your POA.
Shoot a few times over the chrony at the muzzle and take an average. Shoot a few times over the chrony at you selected down range distance and take the average. BTW, I've found using a target holder with an aim point a few inches above the chrony makes this a lot easier.
Enter the required data your ballistic calculator (scope height, pellet weight, etc,.) requires to calculate the true BC.
Then I select .0001" as my KZ size. This may be only available using the Chairgun app.? In using the .0001" puts the zenith at the very top of the arc before the pellet begins to drop. This will give you the flattest trajectory possible, thus fewer clicks.
According to the app, my total range of clicks from 20 to 100 yards is only 32. 20 yards is only six. at 100 yards it's 32. My zero yardage is 28-42 yards. You should not have any down clicks only up.
Now know, my click info will only be accurate for my set up unless yours is identical.
If you would like, I would be happy to help you with a click chart for your set up. PM me if you like and I can have one made up in a matter of minutes once I have all your data.
Thanks, Dave. I'm pretty well versed with Strelok and setting up click charts and dope sheets. I was just trying to see if guys are zeroing at the top of the effective trajectory (like Solo1) or picking a middle distance and clicking both ways (like you).

I think I'll try zeroing at 25 yards so I don't have to click past zero. At 10 cents a pellet, I'm going to be leaning on Strelok pretty hard rather than shooting confirmation shots at every yardage. I'll probably shoot every 10 yards out to 100.

Scott,
Its adorable that you think you will be able to click!!!!

You know you will be limited to 10 clicks.....unless you shoot wearing sandals, then you get 20 clicks!!!

Sorry Pal, Seriously, I have no real, useful advice on clicking...I still use holdover!
Although my zero is at 80 yards if that helps in any way.

You got some good advice from Dave a C.Cut though.
Enjoy your new quest.
See ya.

Pablo
Paul in N.TX