• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

EFT rules clarification

Not trying to be salty here, but there is no way I would take a week(ish) off of work to shoot a 40 shot one day match, even if that match is worth 8 times more than a 2 day 120 shot GP match. I can't justify the cost per shot in time or money. So, since I already know I won't be attending the EFT championship, there's less reason for me to travel to a GP match. Even if I attended multiple GP matches and did well (this is all theoretical, obviously) I wouldn't be able to accrue enough points to overcome someone that goes to EBR, has a good afternoon and get's a X8 modifier to their GP points for that match.

Obviously it's great to go to a well run and challenging 2 day match for it's own sake and I would be happy to go to an out of state GP match if my schedule allowed it. But until the national championship is a real match and not a 40 shot side match at EBR, the GP race will not be a factor for me. I mean, isn't there enough going on at EBR already? They (EBR and AOA) worked hard to grow EFT, so now I feel like it has grown to the point that the EFT national championship is worthy of it's own weekend.

I'm not trying to be critical of anyone involved, I just wanted to explain why I and others that I have talked to are not fired up to travel to GP matches for the sake of them being GP matches.

Reactions: drsquall
Not familiar with tie breaker #5 but guessing it's a safe bet to assume it's not a kneeling shoot-off?

J/K Ron, I couldn't resist.
I believe the French refer to it as the mache du pissoirue. Ron is always looking for a reason to check out other guy's "equipment".

(And before anyone googles it, I'm pretty sure that "du" is the only French word that I've written here, but you probably read that and thought it looked plausible)

As @AirNGasman & @beerthief mentioned, target cost is definitely a limiting factor. Have heard a couple match directors and/or club presidents in this part of the country say as much.
They're right on the space issue too. There are certainly exceptions, but many shooting/sportsman's clubs just don't have the space, or if they do, dedicate it to clays and/or pb benchrest. Convincing them to give up a weekend's worth of trap shooting revenue to host an airgun event ain't gonna happen. But as Ron said, it is what it is.

On the issue of space (distance)... am I completely blind, or is there no mention of target distances anywhere on the EFT site? Is that completely up to the MD, or are there at least some guidelines to follow? Talking minimum/maximum, not average distances or kz size vs distance. Could swear I've seen 15 yards min & 100 yards max somewhere, but darn if I can find it now. Older I get, the better I remember the things that never happened :LOL:
Reason I ask- blessed with about 85 yards of backyard range, & can get to a 100 yard range often enough to get & occasionally verify dope. But past 100... would have to source something. Trying to talk a buddy of mine into getting a nice airgun & signing on as a travel partner for an EFT GP event next year; he asked me about the max distance & I couldn't verify it for him. He's in the same boat- could shoot at my place, & get to a 100 yard range some, but doesn't know where he'd go for anything longer. We'd figure something out, but would like to know just how far we'd have to go (110, 150... 200???)

As @AirNGasman & @beerthief mentioned, target cost is definitely a limiting factor. Have heard a couple match directors and/or club presidents in this part of the country say as much.
They're right on the space issue too. There are certainly exceptions, but many shooting/sportsman's clubs just don't have the space, or if they do, dedicate it to clays and/or pb benchrest. Convincing them to give up a weekend's worth of trap shooting revenue to host an airgun event ain't gonna happen. But as Ron said, it is what it is.

On the issue of space (distance)... am I completely blind, or is there no mention of target distances anywhere on the EFT site? Is that completely up to the MD, or are there at least some guidelines to follow? Talking minimum/maximum, not average distances or kz size vs distance. Could swear I've seen 15 yards min & 100 yards max somewhere, but darn if I can find it now. Older I get, the better I remember the things that never happened :LOL:
Reason I ask- blessed with about 85 yards of backyard range, & can get to a 100 yard range often enough to get & occasionally verify dope. But past 100... would have to source something. Trying to talk a buddy of mine into getting a nice airgun & signing on as a travel partner for an EFT GP event next year; he asked me about the max distance & I couldn't verify it for him. He's in the same boat- could shoot at my place, & get to a 100 yard range some, but doesn't know where he'd go for anything longer. We'd figure something out, but would like to know just how far we'd have to go (110, 150... 200???)
Some clubs use 15 and some use 20 on the short side but 100 is standard I believe. And if you want to practice just do what i did- i ordered a 2’square 1/4” plate on line and delivered to my door via ups for $225 burned out 11 target faces and paddle circles to put on my gamo targets and started practicing eft! We do it the same way at the club i shoot at.

Reactions: wolfmangreg
There was one target past 100 yards at EBRs GP finals earlier this month. I think it was 104 or maybe 105 yards.
I believe the rest were in that 20-100yard range that a couple above have mentioned (but I could be mistaken). Kinda frustrated with myself for not being able to remember the closest distance right now, it was only a few weeks ago!

Longest I've seen at Ron's is 102 if I recall correctly. Shortest is typically 20 yards. Since Ron's is the closest GP to Kentucky, I would plan on 20 to 100 yards and make sure your Strelok is accurate in case Ron throws a curve ball. And if you do decide to go to Ron's Textreme GP match, be sure to let him know you are coming. You won't find a more friendly or accommodating match director Her name is Maggyy, she is the brains and looks of the operation. If she had opposable thumbs we wouldn't need Ron anymore.

Thanks for the replies @Solo1 @Franklink & @scotton!

Working on a homebrew resetting target for the yard, & have mulch traps etc to tide me over. 85 is close enough to 100-ish for meaningful (if less than perfect) practice, so long as I've got reliable dope out to whatever is needed. Just didn't know for sure what equals "needed". Probably comes off as trivial, but just not much in the way of wide open spaces 'round here (that aren't privately owned).

If Textreme is where I go, will pack a box of milk bones. Got to have a good relationship with the match director.

If Textreme is where I go, will pack a box of milk bones. Got to have a good relationship with the match director.

Save your Milk Bones, Greg. The only treats my uppity little bitch will accept are real chicken jerky treats; not even those "made with real chicken" "jerky" BISCUITS will do.

1698728062569.png

Scotton isn't exaggerating about "she is the brains and looks of the operation. If she had opposable thumbs we wouldn't need Ron anymore."

We (all) have a LOT of fun at TEXtreme. Hope you can join us sometime, Greg.

1698728926327.png

There was one target past 100 yards at EBRs GP finals earlier this month. I think it was 104 or maybe 105 yards.
I believe the rest were in that 20-100yard range that a couple above have mentioned (but I could be mistaken). Kinda frustrated with myself for not being able to remember the closest distance right now, it was only a few weeks ago!
Longest I've seen at Ron's is 102 if I recall correctly. Shortest is typically 20 yards. Since Ron's is the closest GP to Kentucky, I would plan on 20 to 100 yards and make sure your Strelok is accurate in case Ron throws a curve ball. And if you do decide to go to Ron's Textreme GP match, be sure to let him know you are coming. You won't find a more friendly or accommodating match director Her name is Maggyy, she is the brains and looks of the operation. If she had opposable thumbs we wouldn't need Ron anymore.
Y'all:

I took a picture of the course target distances at EBR and a phot of my score card from day one at the Textreme Gran Prix this past June at Ron's house. The Textreme target distances are included on the score card along with kill zone sizes. I do not have the kill zone sizes for the EBR event.
EBR EFT target distance.jpg
Textreme target distance.jpg

Save your Milk Bones, Greg. The only treats my uppity little bitch will accept are real chicken jerky treats; not even those "made with real chicken" "jerky" BISCUITS will do.

View attachment 401551

Scotton isn't exaggerating about "she is the brains and looks of the operation. If she had opposable thumbs we wouldn't need Ron anymore."

We (all) have a LOT of fun at TEXtreme. Hope you can join us sometime, Greg.

View attachment 401552
Real chicken jerky, a woman of discriminating taste! Have seen a lot of fine looking pups, but she takes the cake. Don't see how anyone could resist scratching behind those ears.
Appreciate the encouragement... already cooking up a scheme for a Texas trip.

Thanks @Podna for the info! Sounds like if we can squeeze in another 10 yards of dope, we're golden at any GP venue.

Thanks Art.
Looks like my memory was poor on the far one too, 102, not 104-105.

Another interesting tidbit....i asked one of the lane officials if they dragged measuring tape or used a laser rangefinder and was told they were actually surveyed to determine distance.
That would be me. I set up my survey instrument at each station and shot in each target to the nearest .1'. I'll try to do it next year also.