• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

EFT rules clarification

Take your old bones to EFT, Ronaldo. If I recall, you've had your hand in many of the rules for AAFTA, so now you're complaining about those rules that are almost the same as you've left them? As far as EFT, I do enjoy stretching my legs out to 100yds in an easier format, but there are 10x more places to shoot FT AAFTA-style than there are EFT, so the opportunities are greater for more shooters.

Thanks Jeff. Hopefully they'll BURY my old bones at the premier EFT venue in my beloved Texas. BTW, I thoroughly enjoy kicking young bones' ***es in field target competitions! :p

You do recall correctly, my fingerprints are all over many AAFTA rules. Don't think I "complain" about those rules... unless they're now counter-productive to field target, or its participants.:unsure:

As you know (better than most), I don't hesitate to put myself in the line of fire when I see something adversely affecting field target. I certainly see no harm in opening constructive rules debate(s); especially since healthy debate has become SO politically incorrect. That motivates me all the more to open cans of worms and stir the pots. After all, that's why public forums exist.:unsure: I'm delaying the extinction of public debate.:unsure: You're welcome.

Apparently some FT shooters disagree that EFT is easier.:unsure: And many (most?) that shoot both disciplines enjoy Extreme more.:unsure:

there are 10x more places to shoot FT AAFTA-style than there are EFT

That may be so, but a couple years ago that was 20x.:unsure: In a couple more years the AAFTA proportion may be 5x. Or 1.5x.:unsure:

the opportunities are greater for more shooters.

EXACTLY!:unsure:

You're welcome.(y)

That may be so, but a couple years ago that was 20x.:unsure: In a couple more years the AAFTA proportion may be 5x. Or 1.5x.:unsure:
What I mean is the places where we can shoot low power air rifles in a traditional wooded environment are much more abundant than those where we can shoot high power air rifles. That will never change regardless of the popularity of FT or EFT.

Reactions: AirNGasman
EFT will only get bigger and bigger the more people get out and shoot it. I enjoy both AAFTA and EFT. But definitely I enjoy EFT more. EFT has not been around as long as AAFTA so I don’t think to say one will never be bigger than the other is not really fair. Maybe, maybe not. But the threshold to get in the sport slightly favors EFT in my opinion. I had a .25 Umarex Guantlet Gen 1 with a utg scope sooner than I had a Benjamin Marauder .177 with a Hawke scope. I would have been able to of competed in my very first outing if it was eft. Me being one of the younger members of this community. Guys and gals my age and younger are what’s going to keep AAFTA alive and and EFT alive and growing. I honestly think it’s easier to get people young and old more excited to hit a 3-4” big target at 100 yards with a higher power airgun than it is to to get them excited to hit a 1.5” target at 55 yards with a sub 20fpe .177 gun. Regardless of difficulty. Just my 2 cents. Picture of my gauntlet after I modded it out a couple months after I got it. That was about 2 year ago. Man times have change. Lol

IMG_3463.jpeg

Reactions: AirNGasman
EFT will only get bigger and bigger the more people get out and shoot it. I enjoy both AAFTA and EFT. But definitely I enjoy EFT more. EFT has not been around as long as AAFTA so I don’t think to say one will never be bigger than the other is not really fair. Maybe, maybe not. But the threshold to get in the sport slightly favors EFT in my opinion. I had a .25 Umarex Guantlet Gen 1 with a utg scope sooner than I had a Benjamin Marauder .177 with a Hawke scope. I would have been able to of competed in my very first outing if it was eft. Me being one of the younger members of this community. Guys and gals my age and younger are what’s going to keep AAFTA alive and and EFT alive and growing. I honestly think it’s easier to get people young and old more excited to hit a 3-4” big target at 100 yards with a higher power airgun than it is to to get them excited to hit a 1.5” target at 55 yards with a sub 20fpe .177 gun. Regardless of difficulty. Just my 2 cents. Picture of my gauntlet after I modded it out a couple months after I got it. That was about 2 year ago. Man times have change. Lol

View attachment 401185
Where are the hose clamps Stache? 😂

From a Gauntlet to winning EBR EFT and coming in 2nd in the EFT GP National Championship! You’ve come a long way in such a short time. We’re lucky to have you on the Team Caleb. Great shooting!!!

Last edited:
No Texans making the trip to Oregon, huh?:ROFLMAO:

You make a good point Ron, although I don't think that was the main intent of your post.

Texas has some of the best shooters... who won't or aren't inspired to, travel and compete at all or a good number of our AOA EFT Grand Prix's.

Like long ago, on the AAFTA pistol rules committee, we are both on the EFT rules committee for Robert and AOA's EFT GP.

I'm still lobbying for the requirement to be 3 GP matches and the Third can be the Championships in AZ. So, a competitor has to travel to least 2.

What ya'll think?

You make a good point Ron, although I don't think that was the main intent of your post.

Texas has some of the best shooters... who won't or aren't inspired to, travel and compete at all or a good number of our AOA EFT Grand Prix's.

Like long ago, on the AAFTA pistol rules committee, we are both on the EFT rules committee for Robert and AOA's EFT GP.

I'm still lobbying for the requirement to be 3 GP matches and the Third can be the Championships in AZ. So, a competitor has to travel to least 2.

What ya'll think?
Wayne, effectively that's what we plan to do in a roundabout way. We had way too many shooters eligible for the EBR EFT this year, and luckily UA did us a favor and boycotted EBR for whatever reason they felt was justified (entirely up to them of course).

This below requires a vote of the EFT GP BOD, and is just an idea that we all have discussed:

So, to get that under control, we'll limit the early EBR sign ups to a maximum of 40 EFT GP competitors that are entitled to sign up early before the general public (there are 80 spots available). We'll limit the early sign ups to those that earn a minimum of 1.5 points during the EFT GP season (2023 post EBR and 2024 pre EBR). If you finish in the money at a GP event and walk away with a top finish where you earn at least 1.5 points, you're in. This is the 1 point for attending your first EFT EBR event of the season and any additional from a top finish OR from attending additional EFT GP events (1/2 point for additional events attended).

You can see that a top 3 to 5 (depending on MD distro of his points) finish OR attending more than one EFT GP event will get you an early sign up for the EBR EFT.
We kicked this around at our most recent EFT GP BOD, and this is my interpretation of what was discussed. We'll have to figure out a "tie breaker" if there are more than 40 with 1.5 (or greater) GP points. There were 29 in the most recent season, and not all attended EBR.

We'll change the wording on the EFT GP web site once we're all settled on the phraseology...

https://extremefieldtarget.com/23-24-grand-prix.html

Reactions: Airgunoregon
So if your a middle of the pack shooter, and use up all your vacation time to attend EBR, and therefore can not travel to another GP your just SOL ?
Jim, you're anything but a middle of the pack shooter. ;) I'm sure Ron will make sure that the top five finishers at his June 2024 TexTreme EFT GP event get at least 1/2 point...

There will still be over 40 general spots available, so you can do what the rest of us did in prior years. Be ready to apply to EBR on the morning that registration opens and be ready as soon as registration is available. Thats what we all did in 2018, 2019 and 2021. Be ready to press that register button ASAP.

Well I will probably just go to Ron's and that's it I don't have a lot of vacation time to blow. If I'm fortunate enough to go to EBR I will try to make it. But I'm not traveling way out west just so I can qualify
Hopefully in the near future, the EFT hosting clubs will be closer to each other... Robert and his team are working on that.

Jim, you're anything but a middle of the pack shooter. ;) I'm sure Ron will make sure that the top five finishers at his June 2024 TexTreme EFT GP event get at least 1/2 point...

There will still be over 40 general spots available, so you can do what the rest of us did in prior years. Be ready to apply to EBR on the morning that registration opens and be ready as soon as registration is available. Thats what we all did in 2018, 2019 and 2021. Be ready to press that register button ASAP.

So many points to address here.

I messed up Jim in 2022 by (somehow) not including him in the results of my 2022 GP event🥴, and had to not only use up any brownie points I might have accrued with Big to get Jim into EBR, but take out a loan for more!:cry:

Then this year I made another bonehead mistake pertaining to a Florida shooter in my GP, so had to use up not only all the points in my brownie mortgage, but take out a SECOND mortgage to get HIM into 2023 EBR!🤬 Suffice to say I can't afford to make any more mistakes like those, because there's no doubt my credit(ability) is TOTALLY BANKRUPT.

Besides GP participation points, I normally distribute the 6 points I'm allotted to my top three rifle finishers (Winner= 3, Second= 2, third= 1). So, much as I appreciate ALL the help you've given Mike, let's just say it should be pretty clear by now that I have a hard time keeping up with my responsibilities. If I get enough shooters at my 2024 GP to be allotted 7 GP points to award, I'd certainly award 1/2 point each to Fourth and Fifth places. But if not, I'd hate to reduce the number of points given to First through Third places.

Mike's written explanation of how many GP shooters will earn early EBR registration privileges in 2024 is much clearer to me now than it was after the Zoom call explanation. Thank you, Bud. You might be able to guess what my tie-breaker suggestion might be.:unsure:

If not, see TEXtreme rules tie-breaker #5. I assume that tie-breaker could be arranged by Zoom call.:oops:

View attachment 2023 TFT Rifle Rules pdf.pdf

• Haha
Reactions: Centercut
how much would a set of EFT targets cost for a club ? i see this as a limiting factor . Targets that a club would use only a few times a year ? OR maybe a club could put on EFT at a Powder range like the big benchrest one in the east . if land is a problem

EFT-capable target cost is definitely a limiting factor, Beer. But land is an insurmountable problem.

yup LAND . maybe the BOD could have a set or two of targets to ship around the country ? My club has a 100 yard range for rifles , but only 12 shooters at a time and possible 12 lanes IT could be manageable , i doubt 20 shooters would show up around here .
maybe a club can only have room for a few lanes 10 tARGETS PER LANE ? just ideas .
My club has a 50 yard right next to the 100 yard , SO 20 lanes total some closer some farther , could be manageable

Last edited:
yup LAND . maybe the BOD could have a set or two of targets to ship around the country ? My club has a 100 yard range for rifles , but only 12 shooters at a time and possible 12 lanes IT could be manageable , i doubt 20 shooters would show up around here .
maybe a club can only have room for a few lanes 10 tARGETS PER LANE ? just ideas .
10 or 12 lanes should work... you can have squads of 3 or 4 shooters.. most GPs are lucky to get more than 40, but that's seems to be changing, so more lanes might be necessary aa a club grows.. or stagger the start times, like the EBR.. they do it with only 5 lanes & 4 targets and really strict time limits and get 80 shooters done in a day.

Reactions: Centercut
Robert is liberal with the Club GP rules, I'm allowed to use swingers in lead collecting boxes, because our ranges requires it since we are set up right next the creek. The steel backstop behind the swinger is painted white and the swinger red, so you can see your hits and misses really well.

If you don't have the same lead collecting issue, you might be able to qualify as a GP with just swingers... don't know..
Some other clubs nearby might also share their targets for your GP event.. MD's have been known to work together:) Although sometimes when reading debates here, you might not believe it:)