• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

EFT rules clarification

Yes, they are allowed. Obviously not a 14 inch mega bag that the NRL22 shooters use. 😉 2” thickness is reasonable…

The only rules I’ve seen violated are the no “hog saddles” rule but even then the shooters weren’t disqualified. Forced position lanes are not required. But if used it must be standing with bipod. The EFT GP event in Oregon the end of April had no forced position lanes.

The link above that Derrick posted was written by me…. Any further questions ask away.

The bottom line is that it is left up to MDs to make their rules “as close as possible” to the EBR EFT rules.

And just for you @scotton, no kneeling lanes! 😂

Edit: The only rule I've seen MDs use that isn't a part of the EBR EFT is attached bipods. Most MDs running EFT GP events do not allow them. The EFT event at EBR does.
As I read the EFT rules posted they are very vague and don’t indicate minimum or maximum target distance(s) and minimum and maximum KZ size at distances - unless I’m not reading the correct rules

I swear I've seen yardage guidelines written down somewhere, but I can't recall where. The general understanding at Ron's place is that targets will be between 20 and 100 yards, but that's mostly a real estate constraint. Most kill zones seem sized to keep the target under 50 Troyer, with some bias on the longer targets. In other words, I can't think of a target longer than 90 yards that had a kill zone smaller than 3 inches.

This doesn't really help except to say "Yeah, you're right. What are the rules for target distances and kill zone sizes?" I assume a lot of it is up to the individual match directors.

As I read the EFT rules posted they are very vague and don’t indicate minimum or maximum target distance(s) and minimum and maximum KZ size at distances - unless I’m not reading the correct rules
Exactly like Scott says above. If it’s not in the rules it’s up to the match director. If he wants to use a 1 inch KZ at 65 yards, that’s up to him. If he wants a 4 inch at 95 yards, no problem.

One “rule” of EFT is to keep it simple and not morph into another version of AAFTA with a gaggle of complicated rules. We even say in the rules that it’s NOT meant to be just a high power version of low power short distance FT.

EFT rules are simple and uncomplicated on purpose. For example, since rangefinding has zero to do with marksmanship, we give the yardages, and if you want you can range them yourself with a laser rangefinder. If you were hunting, that’s what you would do.

You wouldn’t go hunting with a straight jacket, or girdle harness, or carry a 5 pound bum bag through the woods, you’d carry sticks with you and use them sitting or standing, or you might go prone. If you want to use holdover, you can, or you can dial. Simple.

I agree I personally enjoy EFT so much more than AAFTA. I still enjoy shooting AAFTA and will continue to do so. I've only been doing it less than a year. There is a reason EFT is growing and big events like the RMAC,EBR,pyramid have great attendance. But I don't want to offend the AAFTA purist. I haven't even been to any of the big shoots like that yet but that all changes this next year. I will schedule my vacations around these events before any AAFTA event. To each his/her own and I will support whatever they choose to do and enjoy.

EFT is my favorite....Yeah I know 100 yard in the big competitions is where the "Big" money is, but EFT to me is the best.......

Tony P.
It's my favorite as well. I've never done benchrest but I'm going to try this year. But to me EFT is the most realistic to hunting and that's what I do majority of the time.

EFT is also my favorite. I’ve been told by a few younger guys that EFT is PRS for old people. 😂
I loved prs and had a blast doing it but my back will not allow it anymore. EFT is how I hunt. I set up and range the animal and shoot. I totally agree that knowing the distance doesn't prove your marksmanship at all.

Since my eyes whack out and can't range well with a scope anymore I prefer Ultimate Field Target/UFT(Arizona) because distances are given, plus there's something about it that captivates my interest, and I guess partly because I'm not constrained to using pellets only and partly because of shooting in night matches. Using powerful pcp's with slugs or 22rf makes this game a lot more fun to me.

I still like FT but I transitioned to Freestyle/Unlimited about 8 years for the fun of it, this for a few reasons which includes using a LRF which ironically makes the game more like UFT than FT.

And then lately have been enjoying a game called Chicken Little which uses 1/5th scale silhouettes at 40-50-60-and 70Y done off bucket and sticks. Makes me feel good when I hit those chickens at 70Y.

Since my eyes whack out and can't range well with a scope anymore I prefer Ultimate Field Target/UFT(Arizona) because distances are given, plus there's something about it that captivates my interest, and I guess partly because I'm not constrained to using pellets only and partly because of shooting in night matches. Using powerful pcp's with slugs or 22rf makes this game a lot more fun to me.

I still like FT but I transitioned to Freestyle/Unlimited about 8 years for the fun of it, this for a few reasons which includes using a LRF which ironically makes the game more like UFT than FT.

And then lately have been enjoying a game called Chicken Little which uses 1/5th scale silhouettes at 40-50-60-and 70Y done off bucket and sticks. Makes me feel good when I hit those chickens at 70Y.
That's awesome I'm glad you found something so you could keep shooting.

Reactions: steve123
Having been an enthusiastic advocate/ambassador for AAFTA (and the BoG) for about two decades, it seems like it/they/AAFTA rules are gradually distancing from me is some regards. I don't hold it against anyone distancing themself from me, but the last several posts in this thread suggest I'm not the only AAFTA shooter losing some fire for it, to the apparent benefit of EFT; this as the airgun market also responds with ever more EFT-capable equipment.

I stage AAFTA and EFT style matches, and none of my shooters has stated a preference for AAFTA style. However several have said they enjoy EFT more. Mind you, I'm not bashing AAFTA field target; simply stating observations about what seems (from this thread) to be a growing trend.:unsure: I do agree with some of the others' observations (above) about the whys.

AAFTA FT is
Having been an enthusiastic advocate/ambassador for AAFTA (and the BoG) for about two decades, it seems like it/they/AAFTA rules are gradually distancing from me is some regards. I don't hold it against anyone distancing themself from me, but the last several posts in this thread suggest I'm not the only AAFTA shooter losing some fire for it, to the apparent benefit of EFT; this as the airgun market also responds with ever more EFT-capable equipment.

I stage AAFTA and EFT style matches, and none of my shooters has stated a preference for AAFTA style. However several have said they enjoy EFT more. Mind you, I'm not bashing AAFTA field target; simply stating observations about what seems (from this thread) to be a growing trend.:unsure: I do agree with some of the others' observations (above) about the whys.
Take your old bones to EFT, Ronaldo. If I recall, you've had your hand in many of the rules for AAFTA, so now you're complaining about those rules that are almost the same as you've left them? As far as EFT, I do enjoy stretching my legs out to 100yds in an easier format, but there are 10x more places to shoot FT AAFTA-style than there are EFT, so the opportunities are greater for more shooters.

For me it's not AAFTA versus high power FT or AAFTa instead of high power FT, but AAFTA + high power FT.

I like em both. They're not the same thing and I don't think anybody wants them to be. Both are challenging and fun in different ways.
I agree and for once, so does someone else I know!

Easier? Hmmmm…. For some that are already good at AAFTA they step right into EFT, like you Jeff. But for many I’ve seen that are really good at AAFTA, seems to have trouble with EFT.
“Easier” is totally subjective.
I totally agree with @Franklink (Cole) above.
Yes, it's a different game with different equipment... just as the designers of the games should want... and the equipment manufacturers for sure want... and we should want that play the games..

Yes, it's a different game with different equipment... just as the designers of the games should want... and the equipment manufacturers for sure want... and we should want that play the games..
Hopefully Oregon has the same format as this year with EFT, 100Y BR and Long Range Challenge. Fun weekend!

Same format is the plan...
And of course we WILL have the "Whoop the perfect score last year's winner Challenge" long range event.. I want to see if YOU can beat that guy:)
I don’t know. He was kinda lucky. Every dogs ass sees some sunshine sometime. 😂

• Wow
Reactions: AirNGasman