• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Effectively using Mil-Dots (or trying to) with different magnifications

So I have a higher end rifle that I had dialed in to 75 yards. Everything works great as long as my target is +/- 10 yards on either side of 75.

However, when trying to shoot game/targets closer, I prefer to us the mildots on the scope rather than the clicking method (even though the scope is a 'clicker-scope')

My question is; how do you know which magnification requires which number of mildot settings (up or down) given your current magnification?

I often hunt at 6-10 X; however there are times when I can crank up to 24 if the situation presents itself. Obviously the more you zoom in, the bigger the difference becomes between mil-dot settings. So can someone please explain to me how to keep both the magnification and mil-dot settings straight for 40 yard shots, 65 and 90 yards in the same outing? Do you just never change your zoom magnification?

So I have a higher end rifle that I had dialed in to 75 yards. Everything works great as long as my target is +/- 10 yards on either side of 75.

However, when trying to shoot game/targets closer, I prefer to us the mildots on the scope rather than the clicking method (even though the scope is a 'clicker-scope')

My question is; how do you know which magnification requires which number of mildot settings (up or down) given your current magnification?

I often hunt at 6-10 X; however there are times when I can crank up to 24 if the situation presents itself. Obviously the more you zoom in, the bigger the difference becomes between mil-dot settings. So can someone please explain to me how to keep both the magnification and mil-dot settings straight for 40 yard shots, 65 and 90 yards in the same outing? Do you just never change your zoom magnification?

Buy Strelok pro for about $12 bucks. Once programmed correctly it will answer all your questions no matter if your scope is ffp or sfp. The reticle will be marked with holdover points from your input info and power setting of scope. 

Reactions: ShootingNewB

Buy Strelok pro for about $12 bucks. Once programmed correctly it will answer all your questions no matter if your scope is ffp or sfp. The reticle will be marked with holdover points from your input info and power setting of scope.

+1 StrelokPro 

Hey shambozie, so I wanna start by saying you are correct in never changing zoom part.

2nd, to answer your question, you would have to go out and shoot the distance at the different power levels, Write poi down, move target to next distance, repeat the steps.

The way I did it when using the airmax sfp scope was , to zero it at 10x @ 30 yards. (My scope wasn't 20x) but at 20x it's just double the mills , I'd avoid 24x to keep it simple.

For example 1mill at 50 yards is 1.8" and 3.6" at 100yards using 10x.

So using 20x the same 1.8" at 50 yards would be 2 mill. 

Some scopes have different power levels where milldots are true, manufacturers specs should give this info. (Mine was 10x)

I'm assuming you have to hold under at closer ranges. If you have a shot at 30 yards I'd use 10x, if it's 75 yards 20x. Or you could get the ffp scopes as suggested, I did and I don't even touch the other one anymore.

Have you read the spec to find out where the Mil-Dots are actually to spec on each of the scopes. I would research that as 1) replacing with FFP is some cash and 2) you actually may prefer SFP over FFP - some do - as the reticle is always the same in SFP but zooms in and out with FFP - some find the zoomed out reticle to thin to use at low magnification and some find the reticle too thick when you go to max magnification. 

Regardless the recommendation for Strelok Pro is probably the best one on here. This will show you the compensation at any distance with any wind speed and direction once you put in all the parameters. Regardless of SFP or FFP - at the end of the day Mil is Mil and an app will show you your holdovers pretty accurately. The better the data input the better the output.

@ctshooter: great point and suggestion. 

I will probably look to secure an FFP to do some comparisons but agree with the consensus is that Strelok Pro is the best overall solution

Thanks for your input one and all.

In closing, any recommendations on a sub $1K FFP scope/ model?

I try to look through as many FFP scopes as I can. Not nearly the number of most around here but I'll mention it anyways. To my eye so many of them really don't have visible holdover dots/dashes until well into their magnification range.

Which brings up a good point. Do you use holdover with your current scopes at minimum or low magnification?

That's why I haven't used any of my FFP scopes on hunting rifles. Too many shots closer than the PBR of the setup in use for me to use FFP. With a FFP scope I'd either have to pass up on those shots, dial or attempt a close shot with more magnification than is ideal. When you have a red squirrel chirping at your at close range options 2 & 3 are often not ideal.

A friend of mine has an Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 To date that is the most useful FFP reticle I've seen. I can actually see it at 4.5x for dead hold shots and the holdover points become visible at 6x or 7x. Reticle is a definitely thick at 30x. If punching paper for accuracy I'd likely dial it down a bit to thin the reticle out some. 

Dairyboy has posted pictures of the reticle of his Athlon 2-12x42. Again, totally visible at 2x and holdover points seem useful at 4x or 5x. I'd have to look through one to be sure but if I decided I absolutely needed an FFP scope that's the one I'd start with. Well, or the March 1-10x24 shorty with both SFP and FFP reticles, but I digress.

At any rate, the Ares ETR is over a grand and a heavy scope but if I were in your shoes I'd start my search with one of their 4.5-27x50 scopes. I don't know the model names off hand.