Effective Squirrel Caller

The sounds I make with my mouth work for me. I heard a squirrel barking the other day and pulled out some binos in attempt to locate it. After a while I grew impatient not being able to spot it through the leaves and I began to respond with a distress call. Not only did it expose its location (which was a lot closer than it sounded), I also saw a couple descending tree trunks. It’s not squirrel season here so this was purely an exercise for me.

Years ago, I had a caller that was a piece of 1/2-13 threaded nylon all thread that was screwed into a wooden handle and on a lanyard, a piece of nylon 1/8” x 1/2” x 2” long that you slowly clicked down over the thread to make a sound they make when breaking acorns or nut hulls. Wish I could find it.
I recently heard about keeping to half dollar coins in your pocket. You use it in two different ways. 1. Hold one coin in your one hand with thumb and index finger tightly around its edge and the rest of that hand in a funnel shape. Then with the other coin, with the edge, tap it against the other coon to make an alerting sound. 2. Holding faces of coin between thumb and a finger or two, you use the edge of the other coin in your other hand to slowly click it on the edge serrations to make a clicking sound like nuts and acorns being chewed.

You can make some great squirrel sounds using 2 quarters tapped together or running the serrated edge of one on the other.

@rcs9250 @cmatera What’s the trick with the coins? I’ve tried that a few times and was unable to get a noticeable response. My impression was that the squirrel(s) was supposed think another had found and started eating their cache of nuts. I thought this would draw them in the area to ward off the thief. I tried tapping the edge of one against flat surface of another and rubbing the two edges together, neither method worked for me. What type of reaction did y’all get using coins?

@rcs9250 @cmatera What’s the trick with the coins? I’ve tried that a few times and was unable to get a noticeable response. My impression was that the squirrel(s) was supposed think another had found and started eating their cache of nuts. I thought this would draw them in the area to ward off the thief. I tried tapping the edge of one against flat surface of another and rubbing the two edges together, neither method worked for me. What type of reaction did y’all get using coins?
I’ve had best luck tapping edge to face to make the clicking sound. For me it will get them to bark, giving away their position.

If you can find one of these, you will be amazed how many squirrels pop their heads out to see which one of them scored on a nut to chew on. Best time to use is in areas where water/shelter is plentiful but food is scarce or already has fallen off the trees. The plastic striker striking against the plastic threaded rod makes the sound of a squirrel chewing up loudly on something good, lol. With practice you can mimic a slow chew like on a nut or a fast rotary chew, as if a squirrel is spinning a corn cob on its teeth non stop. The rate of speed and pressure of how you use the striker against the rod will determine effectiveness for the hunting area

9D6C748D-EB0A-4ECA-B327-0224C0985DFE.jpeg

C55E2370-78E9-46DA-A756-424EB9B073F6.jpeg

BE28567F-3F1B-42BA-82D8-66FFA1D3B7EF.jpeg

This call is very effective, I use it mainly for ground squirrels, but it works for the tree squirrels too. Inexpensive and easy to use. Ground squirrels will sit up when they hear this, making them and easier target, and a lot of times, after they run into a burrow, they'll pop their head back up upon hearing it. A non hunting friend gave it to me as a joke, but it's a winner..

IMG_0264.jpg