Educating myself where on line info does not exist DIANA 6 Giss Pistols

Lets go back to the early 70's when Diana started manufacturing 6 series pistols ( Winchester 363's ) etc ... the ERA of the GISS 2 piston recoiless spring piston air pistols.
For years there was much info ( Diana Collective ) where one could glean technical info from the old timers of the era posted onto the web by folks who followed there journey.
Here now 50 years later much of that info is no where to be found leaving some questions on some of the finer tuning tricks or ideal set up specifications ?

So today I found myself rebuilding a Winchester 363 that mechanically in 98% shape, tho piston seals were long ago rotten & crumbling.
Having a set of ARH poly seals went about cleaning it all up, Minor tube hone and polish up the sliding parts and pieces.

With the ARH replacement SEAL and rear Buffer/guide fitted and gears all timed correctly it came time to INSTALL THREADED END CAP and screw it on so the original staking screw threads and hole lined up. No problem but it took just shy of 2 full turns of cap compressing against the counter piston to do this.
*POWER was sub par only shooting a 7g pellet @ 310 fps and pistol had an odd BUMP / SHAKE upon discharging ?

Now this had me think a tad more on the mechanics of these twin pistons being geared together .. Huh, if I'm preloading the counter piston the gears are moving the primary piston away from roof of compression chamber ... While at the time of firing has the primary piston being mechanically stopped via gear bind & This CAN'T BE GOOD ?
Not only may we break a gear post but it just seemed wrong in that BOTH pistons in my mind should come to rest being bottomed out at each end simultaneously ? Thus the primary piston can make max compression stopping itself via air cushion ( Like all spring piston air guns ) and counter piston coming to a stop against its buffer.
The gears that sync the pistons motion should in my reasoning go slack on load when pistons come to rest, or very close to that.

** So I backed off the rear cap to the point rear piston buffer contacted cap. With a gear cap finger tight started adding rear cap preload on buffer until gear cap was easy to turn indicating there was no loading on the gears. This happened at @ 3/4 turn of preload on rear cap. ( tightened the gear cap )

Over the chrony once again ... same weight pellet & @ 440 fps and absolutely zero vibration or felt recoil ... Thump noise, no motion.

While I've read about shim thickness's after a measurement of how far buffer stuck out rear of tube ... just never a WHY a given thickness was recommended ?
The explanation of the physics of the system and clearances to get correct operation I've never seen documented & thus a 50 year old mystery perhaps comes to light once more.

IF ANYONE HERE IS OF AN AGE WHERE THESE GUNS ARE KNOWN TO YOU AND CAN ELABORATE ON THIS ABOVE THREAD .. PLEASE DO .. I'm all ears.

Scott S

Last edited:
The following is less an answer to the query posed, and more an observation on the Diana 6, with the hope of adding to the knowledge base. (If I have misunderstood which part you are referring to, let me know.)

The Diana 6, and it's variants, are one of my most favorite pistols. Fun to shoot and reliable. I have a great deal of literature about the pistols, but nothing that specifies the information sought. I am sure you have already read the following thread:

Spares are becoming much harder to find. I have been fortunate to amass a small collection of spare parts, with most sources being in the UK and/or Europe. One of them is:

JG airguns is another source. With regard to the end cap, they show two spacers as parts 301062-68 and 301069, with no additional information. (Most of the UK and European websites list both (spelling edit) parts as not available):

I have not yet rebuilt a model 6, but have rebuilt a model 5, which does not use these parts. When I do need to rebuild one of my 6's, I will update this information.

85ED468F-111D-4074-A313-BDF31178E934.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandito
Back in the '70s, I bought a Diana 6 pistol that was branded under the name high score 816 and had a one-piece molded brown plastic stock with a deep thumb groove. It has a large front sight hood that distributes some of the cocking load from the muzzle in the palm of your hand. It is a fun shooting plinker, very accurate and truly recoilless, rather amazing for a Springer.

Somewhere, I have the maintenance book put together by the original air rifle headquarters. I have some scans of the maintenance procedure and diagrams, one of which shows the spacing between the counter piston and rear cap. I resealed this pistol once in the early 80s but it has been too long for me to remember details.

Regards,
Feinwerk

Original6Gissrebuild_pt1_2.jpg

Original6Gissrebuild_pt1_3.jpg

Original6Gissrebuild1_1.jpg

Original6Gissrebuildpt2_1.jpg

Original6Gissrebuildpt2_2.jpg

Reactions: Bandito
I worked on one of these around spring of 2021. I remember putting index marks on the two gears, right on the teeth, so when I reassembled I would have the thing mesh exactly where it had come from from the factory. It was my neighbors pistol, but the Beeman version. His seals had corroded over time, and the cocking handle was shattered. My good friend Elis here on the forums recreated that cocking handle piece out of3D and it looked EXACTLY like the factory piece which was NLA.

Here was that cocking handle thread-

Last edited:
Hey guys, looky what I found today. My original Diana 6/Hy-score 816/Winchester 363/Gecado 6 instruction manual, compiled by Robert Law of the original Air Rifle Headquarters, dated 1973.

Here's the cover, I'll upload some of the more relevant pages when I get a few more minutes.
Diana 6 instruction manual.
Hy-Score 816 instruction manual.
Winchester 363 instruction manual.

DIANA 6 HY-SCORE 816 WINCHESTER 363 ARH MANUAL 00 COVER.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandito and Osprey
@Motorhead ,
Did this help you? Robert Law's procedure differs from what you did by using a punch (or other rod) inserted through the receiver cog holes to keep the piston gears separated while first compressing the springs and installing the end cap. The cogs are installed last, with minor adjustment of the end cap threading position to get the gear teeth lined up. In this way, both pistons stays at their mechanical limit of travel in the uncocked state.

I have a set of seals to install in my own pistol, so it was good to collect everybody's insight before tackling the job. Previously, I did it the old fashioned way, as described here, with no spring compressor. I need to see if my homebrew rifle spring compressor can be adapted, or if I can use one of the new quick clamp bar clamps.

Regards,

Feinwerk

Last edited: