• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Edgun where are you with slug barrel ?

Many of us have watched Ed’s video in which he states that as long as there is no serious professional reliable supply of slugs it does not make much sense to start development of dedicated slug guns as the lack of a reliable supply would not make a responsible investment. Now so many months onwards the market has changed dramatically as there is a big supply of slugs but thus far Ed did not anticipate en public. I know he is the guy who will not pre introduce things when they are not market ready but in this case I believe many of his fans like me would be happy with an update about his vision on barrels for slugs especially in relation with his plans to use them . Thus far it is FX with their Superior liner making progress in terms of slug adaption and the rest like Lothar Walter , CZ e.g. are still a matter of trial and error. At least no signs of development in the direction I talk about. Anyway I would be so happy with Ed coming up with some news re slug shooting from his barrels.

Ed if you are around .... or anyone else who has some update that I might have missed ....

So, I will answer this question as Ed I have had discussions about this issue. There is no standard in regards to airgun slugs; this makes it very difficult to produce a "slug barrel" What rate of twist, chamber depth, lands, groove count, etc.? What is a 25 caliber slug standard? Is the .25 caliber slug a 247, 248, 250? What weight? How long is it, what is the slug's balance point? These questions far exceed the common question of "is the barrel choked or not." F.X. has addressed this issue by producing inexpensive liners that are quick and cheap to provide. I am not throwing shade at F.X. They understand as I do that slugs are everchanging, and this was a smart solution. In short, there is no SAAMI for airguns like firearms enjoy, so air gunners who choose to shoot slugs are wildcatters like I was when I shot long-range Centerfire. The 6mm Creedmoor has been around in the Open F-class for a while, and the obvious performance made Hornady Senior Ballistics Scientist Dave Emary partner with Creedmoor's Dennis DeMille to develop this round and make it a SAAMI standard. My dream would be to one day get a phone call from Dave Emary telling me that they want to take airguns seriously and he needs a gun to test, but until that day, we are going to have to rely on what we currently have. If SAAMI decided to spec airgun slugs, the problem would be solved, then Europe would soon follow with a C.I.P. standard, and we will have a plug and play solution. 

So, where does this leave every other company and me? If the gun you're shooting now loves a slug, how long will that slug be produced? Maybe only brand X likes this particular slug, and sales will dictate a company to no longer provide your gun's favorite projectile. This has happened to me more than once. Currently, the only solution I see is to have the producer of slugs make barrels for their projectiles. I have sent slugs to Ed, but he always asks the same question "how long will this slug be around, should I invest 300K Euro to make a barrel around this slug?" So I am working to solve this issue, the volume of Leshiy 2 sales will make it very profitable for a company to partner with us to produce barrels for the L2 and then later other Edguns. The way I see it is I have to do this project in the U.S.A., I am not ready to announce further development, but this project is a top priority for me. As Ed always reminds me, "when fishing one brings the bait the fish want not the bait you like."

More to come

Brian

Reactions: Peskådot671
Exellent reply . Look forward to any development ! As you know currently fx is working on a commercially available adjustable ( screwable) probe to bring a slug less or more far into the barrel. This is one of the solutions in order to make a barrel even more universally accepting slugs a various kinds. I just hope that Edgun will succeed in keeping up and stay a premium choice for those increasing numbers out there wanting to shoot slugs. People from WL and CZ maybe could give better contribution ...??

succes to EDGUN !!!!